OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This team is in trouble
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:19 pm 
King of Men

Perhaps the luck of finding folks to fill holes, Claude's coaching, the sudden glut and then lack of defensemen, piss poor cap management, or over valuing certain players (Rask, Lucic, Krejci)............or maybe a combination of all that. I knew the end was in sight but I didn't expect such a rapid decline. This is not supposed to be a .500 club.

Back to back nights of getting their balls punted by the Leafs and the Habs.......who the hell puts in their sieve backup against Carey Price!

Julien still over there pounding the square peg into the round hole.

He will be the first casualty.

Tick tock.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:24 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

The GM is never first to go, but he has some responsibility by having them so close to the Cap that they had to move important players for picks. Maybe that's just exactly what the Cap is designed to do- keep dynasties from happening and/or having superpower teams, but maybe he could have paid closer attention to his Cap management and not have to move Boychuk?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:09 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chiarelli, for all his brilliance, does seem to lack of bit of faith in his own organization's ability to draft and develop talent. Soderberg looks ready, Khoklachev probably is too. I don't see a problem throwing $$$ at Bergeron, but IMO did they really have to give Krejci THAT much!? And obviously the coin Captain Caveman pulls down is just absurd, despite being the most popular player on the team.

Anyway, if the cap actually does go down (sure seems like it's not gonna go up much, if at all) the B's are kinda screwed.

Incidentally, was Caron a Chiarelli pick?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:16 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:

He was the GM at the time, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:50 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

He was the GM at the time, at least.

Not a great pick, given how deep that draft is turning out to be.

I wonder if the B's are still old school or if they embrace analytics.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:02 pm 
King of Men

Sieve backup still in play because they can't afford anyone else. What was once an excellent D reduced to sub par performance by age and lack of skill. The team is more plodding now than ever......they are aging quickly and this team is physically unable to perform at the level necessary to make Julien's system work.

Even Jack Edwards can't remove the blinders and goes off about a puck out of play and the Jackets scoring 2 minutes later. If I can remember correctly the NHL did address this situation and if the play was not directly impacted then they are left to play on at discretion. The puck out of play had nothing to do with the Jacket's 5th goal....but Edwards and Brickley needed something besides the shitty play of the Bruins to talk about.

Krug has really taken a step back this year. He looks lost out there and has no support when he does try to jump in the play. He'd be a good steal if the Bruins start taking it apart.

Bartowski, Millar......just plugs in a breaking dam.

Milan Lucic has gone from one of my favorite players to just a malcontent meat head. He doesn't deserve what he's getting paid and he needs to go.

Chara is old and its showing.

Nobody on the team to complement the creativity of Krejci (when he decides to play) or Bergeron.

Its been a good run and I've enjoyed the ride but for every up there is a down. Thankfully the Flames and Bruins seem to ebb and flow opposite of each other. Hopefully Chiarelli doesn't ride this one to the bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Here's a quick Vine of Edwards being mad https://vine.co/v/OH0OxqhVF7T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:12 am 
OTP Clown

someone needs to do a jack edwards autotune...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:28 am 

The only thing I've noticed that's way off (apart from the major injuries to key players) is Rask. Mainly because he's one of my fantasy league goalies. :evil:

Chiarelli's good, but it's insane to see how much skill the team has had to give up just to hold onto a vastly overpaid winger who has the emotional maturity of a 5-year-old. I get it, he's pretty much the team's most popular player but if I had to choose between him and Seguin, me and everyone but Chiarelli and a few meatheads would make the obvious choice.

Still...the team should be doing better than it is. We might see a blockbuster in Boston soon enough, who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:06 am 
King of Men

I'll be honest I've never been sold on Rask. He's a good goalie but I thought the system and people in front of him allowed him to appear exceptional. When they paid him I just rolled my eyes.

I feel bad for Krug because he's an RFA after this year and he's making 1.4. I could see him being sent off in a deal. Milan and his idiocy I already wrote off during the handshake line debacle.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:42 pm 

I always considered Tuuukkaaa to be in the NHL's elite, but who knows, the system may have done a lot to cover for him. Chad Johnson is certainly giving credence to that notion on Long Island.

Y'know, it'd be funny if the B's up and trade Dougie Hamilton.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:20 pm 

Okay, why are B's fans getting so antsy about David Pastrnak?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Pastrnak just scored a ridiculous OT winner in the World Jrs.

The B's will only be in trouble if they dump young talent for one final stab at the Cup.

Most teams would be pretty thrilled to have Soderberg, Pastrnak, Hamilton, Krug, Smith, Subban to bank on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:35 pm 
King of Men

Well up to this point he wasn't exactly tearing up the WJC tourney....but the Czechs aren't tearing it up themselves.

I couldn't see them parting with Hamilton but they do could have a hard on for O Reilly so who knows.

But yeah you are right if they hit the panic button in a last gasp its the wrong move. Might as well let it play out and ride the wave.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:22 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

harmfuljays wrote:
Well up to this point he wasn't exactly tearing up the WJC tourney....but the Czechs aren't tearing it up themselves.

I couldn't see them parting with Hamilton but they do could have a hard on for O Reilly so who knows.

But yeah you are right if they hit the panic button in a last gasp its the wrong move. Might as well let it play out and ride the wave.

He's tearing up the A, which is far more important than the WJC.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:48 pm 

I'm gonna put my J21 hat on and look at this from another perspective. Maybe another reason the B's appear to be struggling is that there is a lot more parity in the East this year, and not because most teams are bad, but because they're good.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?ty ... v-stn-conf

Montreal, Pittsburgh, and Tampa appear to be the powerhouses. The Islanders have taken a huge step forward, and Bosc and RW would know better than I, but I think Detroit is doing better this year as opposed to last year as well. Florida is also holding sway and if they can start finding the back of the net with any sort of consistency could possibly run the table. The 18-wheeler appears to be headed toward the cliff in Toronto, but hasn't quite gotten there yet. Also, you take that all in and look at the minor resurgence of the Jackets and Sabres and you have a tougher conference overall. Only Carolina looks like they're really hitting the tank hard, and they're about to get Jordan Staal back, if that means anything at all. Regardless, the West ain't stomping the East like they did last year, and Mirtle is already predicting the point threshold for making the playoffs in the East may be higher than the one in the West. No doubt Boston is not as scary as they used to be, but it looks like a few teams in their conference are just that much better.

I compare it to what happened to the Avs in their own conference. Pretty much every team made strides to improve themselves in the Central, whereas the Avs took a giant step back personnel-wise. The results are pretty much what we all should have expected.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:57 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

There's no doubt that the Atlantic is a bit tougher this year, with Buffalo muddling the picture with their embrace of the tank (yet getting great goaltending the past month plus to counteract that a bit).

Detroit is a legit power, IMO. There's only five spots available in the Atlantic and Boston will be in tough if the goaltending doesn't bounce back a bit. I suspect it will but we'll see. I don't think Rask is a purely systems goalie, but I don't think he's the best goalie in the NHL like his SV% would have you believe, either.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:44 pm 
OTP Historian

Detroit is certainly better than last year due to a number of factors, health being a big one. They've had some injuries to Datsyuk, Franzen and Abdelkader but not the insanity that was last season(knock on wood).

Jimmy has been much better than last year. He battled injuries and missed time last season too. Even though the Wings managed to win a lot of games with Gustavsson in net, Mrazek is better.

They are limiting opportunities more than last year. They still need an upgrade at D. They get way too sloppy at times and it ends up in the net. When you play a low event game, are you more prone to luck being a factor? They have a lot of regulation tie games and then lose in the shootout. 1 and fucking 7 in the shootout. Change a few of those losses and they are 1st in the conference.

Their PK is insane this year. Their PP has been on a run as of late and sits right near the top of the league in 3rd. Their faceoff % is right near the top with Montreal.

Their 5-on-5 ratio is concerning at 1.05(middle of the pack). That has to be better. Part of that is that their D isn't the greatest at moving the puck. +/- is not a great indicator, but it says something that Franzen is -13. That's fucking awful. Nyquist is scoring lots of PP goals but his +/- is -8. Jurco is producing the possession numbers and hopefully the points come. Weiss is producing and that's huge. Hope to hell that he can stay healthy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:04 am 
King of Men

Back to the Bruins......

Now the Youngling Jacobs has taken over and called this team unacceptable. Whatever that means I guess we will see. Finally the fans are coming around to the idea that Milan the Meathead is a floater and needs to be shown the door (take Marchand with you).

In a pure panic move the Bruins call up Pastrnak (again) and immediately he gets thrown to the fire with Krejci and Lucic against the Penguins tonight.

After a slow start at the WJC Pastrnak had 1 goal and 6 assists in 5 GP. His lone goal was an OT winner against Denmark. Good luck kid!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:31 pm 

Well, I dunno if that's a panic move--dude's been playing well in the AHL and had a good WJC. Just a matter of playing the hot hand I suppose.

Took until now, but there's talk that the seat under Julien is starting to heat up.