OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:57 pm 
King of Men

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/l ... ocid=yahoo

Disturbing, but given the current state of humanity not surprising. Lucic is not off the hook here. Hey I've got a good idea.....get your buzz on and go maraud around downtown Vancouver after getting your balls punted by the Canucks earlier in the night. I don't care if he's from there or not. Welcome to the world of Pro Athletes Milan! Save your partying for Boston or hire some bodyguards. He can thank Marchand for this one!

Quote:
"I have no reason left to try and defend my city, and the people of my city. I’m done trying to defend the city I’m from. I’m disgusted and outraged that it had to come to that. Other than being at Rogers Arena, no one will ever see me in downtown Vancouver ever again.”

Somehow I don't think Canuck fans will care.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:25 pm 
OTPoliceman

Hi Jay. Let me be one to say that Lucic is a player everyone hates when he plays your team but you would love him if he's on your team. I lost respect for him when he ran over Ryan Miller and then smirked about getting away with it after the game in an interview. Having said that, he's in his home town where he was a hero when he captained the junior Vancouver Giants to a Memorial Cup. I'm guessing he was at the infamous Granville Street nightclub across from the Granville Room where Tom and Joe met us Canucks OTP contingent. Club management would know who he was and should have done a better job of seeing drunken louts didn't sucker punch Milan. Petr Nedved used to get challenged to fights in a local Burnaby pub after he demanded to be traded from the Canucks and I have no time for idiots full of booze challenging pro athletes for something that needs to be left on the playing field or ice or court. If things had got that heated, I'll put money on the 230 lb fit athlete to destroy the baldy full of liquid courage. The protagonist should consider himself lucky.

p.s. This behavior isn't isolated to Vancouver and I don't feel shamed about how one idiot acted towards a pro celebrity. Duane Roloson's children were bullied in school when he played for the Oilers, leading to him demanding a trade out of Edmonton. Idiots abound in all places.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:02 pm 
He of the red stockings

Wow, people be bat-shit crazy

Be interesting to hear what led up to it ... just seems insane to walk up and sucker punch someone who beats people for a living

the guy is very lucky he didn't get hit back

was that a taxi or a cruiser they were pushing him towards?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:04 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

drl perfect III wrote:
...I have no time for idiots full of booze challenging pro athletes for something that needs to be left on the playing field or ice or court. If things had got that heated, I'll put money on the 230 lb fit athlete to destroy the baldy full of liquid courage. The protagonist should consider himself lucky.

Really, what the hell goes through people's heads? Liquid courage indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:38 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It's a shame those drunken meatheads acted the way they did, but as Dave pointed out, there are idiots like that in every town. Looch should have exercised a lot more caution venturing out in Vancouver. Pretty much every pro athlete should.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:02 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Guy may have thought he could get his ass kicked by Lucic & then sue him for injuries. There have certainly been worse drunken plans. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:08 am 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
Guy may have thought he could get his ass kicked by Lucic & then sue him for injuries. There have certainly been worse drunken plans. :lol:

That's exactly what I thought.......that's why he needs bodyguards in Vancouver.

Good God if this had happened in Boston it would have been the end of the world. At least its Canadian on Canadian crime! B's fans can't even holler at a Habs fan in line at the pisser without someone screaming how classless the city is.

But whatever....people seem to take pro sports way too serious nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:24 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

harmfuljays wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

That's exactly what I thought.......that's why he needs bodyguards in Vancouver.

Good God if this had happened in Boston it would have been the end of the world. At least its Canadian on Canadian crime! B's fans can't even holler at a Habs fan in line at the pisser without someone screaming how classless the city is.

But whatever....people seem to take pro sports way too serious nowadays.

It all depends what they're yelling at the Habs fan that defines whether or not they have class. I've had fun exchanges with Rangers fans at their home arena, and I've had people threaten to stab me... Some people definitely take sports way too seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Never thought I'd say this, but I actually feel bad for Looch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:21 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

drl perfect III wrote:
I'm guessing he was at the infamous Granville Street nightclub across from the Granville Room where Tom and Joe met us Canucks OTP contingent.

Apparently it was his friend's restaurant. Let me be clear that I have no patience for drunkards picking fights or treating anyone badly (not just celebrities). And I hate dudes who turn sports into excuses to bully, including the guys shouting down the Hab fan in the TD Garden bathroom. I am in no way saying Lucic did anything wrong here.

However, it must have been tough for him to get attacked simultaneously by some 3 million people. Oh, what's that? It was one guy? Not the entire city of Vancouver? So perhaps he should shut up a bit. I'm done with defending Serbo-Canadians! Oh wait, see how dumb that sounds?

I'd love to see what would happen if a recognizable Canuck (say one of the Sedins) -- or perhaps a NY Yankee or something -- was in the Boston clubbing district at 2 a.m. after a game day. Particularly given how hardcore Boston sports fans are known to be. The idea that Vancouver is worse for this kind of thing is a bit silly (few even followed the Canucks when I was growing up). If he'd been wandering through the city on a Sunday afternoon, he'd barely be recognized, let alone accosted.

If this isn't a Bruin and it isn't Vancouver, the hockey news media rightly recognizes this as a non-story. "Drunk guy does something dumb." Stop the presses!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 am 
King of Men

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=696651

Well it appears he has come to his senses. Vancouverties you are once again loved by Milan! Consider yourself lucky.

Quote:
Lucic Statement:

"This has been a very difficult week for me given the recent events that took place in my hometown of Vancouver. As I have had more time to think I want to make it clear that regardless of what has happened, I am still - and always will be - proud to be from there. It is home. While the actions of a few individuals have deeply upset me and will impact the time I spend downtown going forward, I will not let those incidents diminish the love and pride I have for the city as a whole. This will be my final comment on this subject."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:11 am 
OTP Historian

There are always meatheads who will want to act tough challenging pro athletes to fights. And there will people who hope that they'll get roughed up and be able to sue. It sucks for people in the spotlight who just want to enjoy dinner or a night out, that one or a few idiots can ruin it for someone in their hometown.