(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rask Money a Mistake
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:17 pm 
King of Men

Quote:
Report: Rask extension ‘in the range’ of $56 million over 8 years

No offense to Tukka he's coming off a good playoff performance and a decent season where he got paid 3.5 million a year. But I personally think 7 million over 8 years is a mistake. I'd let him walk for that kind of money. He was decent when the team was playing the system in front of him however when called upon to shut down or steal a game he wasn't always there during the season. In my eyes that's a question mark on his game as he's no Timmy. I think this team could do well with any positionally sound goalie.

I believe this team will regret this contract if it stands as is.

Post subject: Re: Rask Money a Mistake
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:57 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Timmy's available...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:14 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Paying goalies to be the highest paid player on your team and giving them the maximum term available definitely is a good idea.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:51 am 
King of Men

Sure...many examples of this already.....Luongo, Dipietro, Thomas, let's go on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:56 am 

harmfuljays wrote:

Uh, Chara was most definitely the highest paid Bruin when Thomas was there.

Miller and Lundqvist are good examples. Backstrom is a lukewarm one. Guys like Kipper, DiPi, Luo, Khabibulin in Chicago, Huet in Chicago, Theodore in Montreal/Colorado... probably Price...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:03 am 
King of Men

And not many on that list has won a cup. Paying a goalie a decent amount is not in question. Paying a goalie mad money before the prize is bad business. Especially the money we are discussing about Rask.

To me this is top tier winning goalie money.....Brodeur, Hasek, Roy, those names come to mind not Rask.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:15 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
And not many on that list has won a cup. Paying a goalie a decent amount is not in question. Paying a goalie mad money before the prize is bad business. Especially the money we are discussing about Rask.

To me this is top tier winning goalie money.....Brodeur, Hasek, Roy, those names come to mind not Rask.

Those guys all didn't have to, or didn't ever, win under a salary cap. Roy got all that money when he had Sakic, Forsberg, Blake, etc. on his team making similar coin. Brodeur had Niedermeyer, Stevens, Elias, etc. Rask will have Bergeron, Eriksson, and a couple years of Chara. Boy Hamilton better get damn good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:17 am 

Oh, and obviously Marchand and Krejci are first line talents as well. Don't take my neglecting them as slighting them at all. They just aren't all-world guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:22 am 
King of Men

Excellent point its a different world certainly. That kind of exemplifies my point of not paying him so much and so long. The window is much shorter under the cap. Smart money....not foolish money. Which I feel that this may be. He needs to win the cup first.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:43 am 

I don't like 8 year deals bro.

Rask is absolutely a special player & amongst the top few goaltenders in the league, but $7 mill is a bit steep given he is still only 26.

That's all I have to say about that.

:wookie:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:39 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:

Uh, Chara was most definitely the highest paid Bruin when Thomas was there.

Miller and Lundqvist are good examples. Backstrom is a lukewarm one. Guys like Kipper, DiPi, Luo, Khabibulin in Chicago, Huet in Chicago, Theodore in Montreal/Colorado... probably Price...

Miller wasn't the highest cap hit in Buffalo...Vanek is still on the Lowe contract.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:48 pm 
King of Men

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427429

Well I don't need to say that I don't like this. Because I've already said it. This is Stanley Cup winning money of which Rask has not won. I don't give a shit about Rinne.

Now Chiarelli is shopping Marchand? I don't often question Chiarelli but WTF is this guy doing? Apparently the cap is now that bad after this albatross. And still yet to sign Bergeron? This certainly isn't a Chicago core.

Implosion pending!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:05 pm 

:munch: :mrgreen:

Man, just a couple weeks after trading your Tyler Seguin for the same reasons the Habs dealt Chris Chelios the Bruins might trade their Claude Lemieux? AWESOME.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:20 pm 
King of Men

I guess I don't totally understand this game....I would assume Savard goes to LTIR....however the cap space right now is -2.5 Mill.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/BOS?year=2014

Capgeek has it at:

http://capgeek.com/bruins/

Looks to me like they would like to package Seidenberg with Marchand (Extension signed in 9/12).

Again this all equals too much money for Rask. Better off letting him go and signing Timmy.

Gutting the team for Bergeron and Rask? I think this will come back to bite them (Seguin most definitely will).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

harmfuljays wrote:
I guess I don't totally understand this game....I would assume Savard goes to LTIR....however the cap space right now is -2.5 Mill.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/BOS?year=2014

Capgeek has it at:

http://capgeek.com/bruins/

Looks to me like they would like to package Seidenberg with Marchand (Extension signed in 9/12).

Again this all equals to much money for Rask. Better off letting him go and signing Timmy.

Gutting the team for Bergeron and Rask? I think this will come back to bite them (Seguin most definitely will).

Savvy does indeed go on LTIR. Capgeek says they can do it two different ways:

https://twitter.com/capgeek

Quote:
Just to recap on the #NHL #Bruins, it appears they have two cap options, neither which involves shedding salary.

1) Build roster with $64.3M cap payroll on opening day, then place Savard on LTIR on Day 1. Gives them up to ~$68.3M during the season.

2) Add cap payroll to max of $68.3M, then place Savard on LTIR on final day of camp. Can continue spending up to $68.3M during the season.

Option 1 seems more likely and can be accomplished via creative recalls/demotions on opening day.

Option 2 extremely unlikely because it requires spending to $68.3M and leaves little flexibility in season for injury call-ups, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:41 pm 
King of Men

ok thanks. Capgeek is much more involved and descriptive. They still have to extend Bergeron sometime next season so I don't see how they work that in there....unless somehow it doesn't count until 2014-2015.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:14 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
ok thanks. Capgeek is much more involved and descriptive. They still have to extend Bergeron sometime next season so I don't see how they work that in there....unless somehow it doesn't count until 2014-2015.

It won't count until 2014-15, although there is the bizarre 'tagging' issue that prevents some large re-signings to happen until later in the season. So they may not be able to re-sign him until sometime later during the season, or until after the season is completed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:38 am 
He of the red stockings

Neely was on Felger & Mazz the other day (Tuesday?) and I didn't catch it but in the recap they said he stated that this was their
team going forward - so I assume that means they're not trading Marchand or Seidenberg
If they do, how fucking stupid is it to lose Horton, then trade your two leading scorers over the past two seasons
If they were blowing it up, then trading a 21 year old scorer for a 27 year old playmaker/scorer seems ludicrous (and short-sighted, as I said before)

As far as the Rask deal goes, it shows Chiarelli doesn't quite have a grasp on how long term vs. short term works
the only advantage of signing a player to a longer term contract is supposed to be to reduce the overall cap hit and avg. annual salary
If you want to give Rask 7 mil for 4 years, fine ... he earned it ... if you're going to 8 years, you're supposed to lower that cap hit and avg
4 - 5 years @ 7 mil I have no problem with ... 8 years at that price is asinine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:21 am 

Well, he did get the lower cap hit for Bergeron. $6.5m while Getzlaf is getting north of $8m at the same age for 8 years is quite nice (Bergeron >>> Getzlaf).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:02 pm 
King of Men

ok now I really don't get it...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427561

The Boston Bruins announced Friday that the club has signed forward Patrice Bergeron to an eight-year contract extension through the 2021-22 campaign worth an annual cap figure of $6.5 million

I would assume this doesn't kick in until some future time.......

Bergeron if any player on this team is worth mad money even with his mushy mellon. Best all around player in the game IMO. The only thing I don't like is the length.....and that is because of his previous injuries. He's 1 hit away from Marc Savard territory.