(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rask Money a Mistake
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:22 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
ok now I really don't get it...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427561

The Boston Bruins announced Friday that the club has signed forward Patrice Bergeron to an eight-year contract extension through the 2021-22 campaign worth an annual cap figure of $6.5 million

I would assume this doesn't kick in until some future time.......

Bergeron if any player on this team is worth mad money even with his mushy mellon. Best all around player in the game IMO. The only thing I don't like is the length.....and that is because of his previous injuries. He's 1 hit away from Marc Savard territory.

It's an excellent value, he's right there with Malkin and Datsyuk in the conversation for 2nd best player in the game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fogghorn wrote:
It's an excellent value, he's right there with Malkin and Datsyuk in the conversation for 2nd best player in the game.

Yeah, that may be true, but Bergeron carries about as much risk as Savard...and you see how that turned out for Boston.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:02 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Yeah, that may be true, but Bergeron carries about as much risk as Savard...and you see how that turned out for Boston.

No more risk than Crosby, probably less actually as I think we would have heard about an inability to get insurance which was a problem for the Crosby contract if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:50 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

And if he gets concussed after 4 years and can't play, so what? He'll just be put in Marc Savard's LTIR spot for the rest of his career.

The worst part of these contracts isn't if the player has to retire early due to injury, it's if they can still play the game but go into massive decline.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:33 am 
He of the red stockings

I have absolutely no problem with locking up Bergeron with this deal
cite mushy melon all you want, the guy has consistently proved that he can play at a high level, even with a hole in his lung,
a dislocated shoulder, and broken ribs
His level of play has not wavered, so not much risk here
Don't forget, he took a nearly 2 million $ pay cut in signing his last deal ( probably due to concerns about his melon )
So yeah, I like this signing ... it's actually for less than his last year of the contract that was torn up before he signed his last contract
(he was due nearly 7 million, and the renegotiated contract voided that last year for 5 mill/year)
I know I was one who was saying go ahead & trade him back then (I didn't know he was willing to negotiate a pay cut )
But this contract carries far less risk than Rask's ... we know what we have in Bergeron
He went from 7 mill, to 5 mill, now 6.5 ... I'll take it ... we know what we get from Patrice Bergeron, night after night

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:09 am 

I'll admit, the alternative would be to let him walk or trade him, and I don't think you do that with quite possibly the best two-way forward in the NHL.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:18 pm 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
cite mushy melon all you want, the guy has consistently proved that he can play at a high level, even with a hole in his lung,
Don't forget, he took a nearly 2 million $ pay cut in signing his last deal ( probably due to concerns about his melon )
So yeah, I like this signing ... it's actually for less than his last year of the contract that was torn up before he signed his last contract
(he was due nearly 7 million, and the renegotiated contract voided that last year for 5 mill/year)
I know I was one who was saying go ahead & trade him back then (I didn't know he was willing to negotiate a pay cut )
But this contract carries far less risk than Rask's ... we know what we have in Bergeron
He went from 7 mill, to 5 mill, now 6.5 ... I'll take it ... we know what we get from Patrice Bergeron, night after night

Not sure what you mean about Bergeron making 7 million at any point. Under the last CBA and the current one, you can't renegotiate the last year of the deal. When you sign a new contract one year(maximum) or less before the current deal expires, the new contract is an extension. It doesn't void the final year of the deal. Bergeron never had a year where he made more than $5,900,000.

His current contract, he made more money up front in 2011-12 than this year and next season, but he was never up at 7 mil.

http://capgeek.com/player/221

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:25 pm 
He of the red stockings

Bosc wrote:
hipcheck wrote:

Not sure what you mean about Bergeron making 7 million at any point. Under the last CBA and the current one, you can't renegotiate the last year of the deal. When you sign a new contract one year(maximum) or less before the current deal expires, the new contract is an extension. It doesn't void the final year of the deal. Bergeron never had a year where he made more than $5,900,000.

His current contract, he made more money up front in 2011-12 than this year and next season, but he was never up at 7 mil.

http://capgeek.com/player/221

strange, I could have sworn the last year of that first contract was 6.75m, but I guess it was 5.75 ... oops

either way, the way this one is structured makes him the highest paid Bruin for the next few years, and I'm ok with that

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:58 am 
King of Men

And here we go. The D is subpar in front of him......Claude's defensive layers system is gone.........Tukka is exposed as an average goalie.

6 years left!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:27 am 
King of Men

Rask and company blow a lead in the 3rd and lose the game. At some point he's going to get questioned.....

With the loss, Rask falls to 1-3-1 on the season with a goals-against average of 4.40. Bruins need to make a phone call to Calgary and undo this contract mess.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:59 pm 

If Mike Smith can have a bounceback season, anyone can.

I mean, really, if the B's job is to tank it (and I think it is) then this is all going according to plan.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:56 am 
King of Men

I'll have to back pedal on this one. Rask has been pretty large the past 6 weeks. Of course having Chara back still helps as well.

Rask is off the hook for now.