OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Conditioning for Milan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:24 pm 
King of Men

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/01/ ... _of_shape/

Shitty sportsnet article with typical out of town media glorification however there is a point there....

Quote:
“You’re never really in game shape until you’re playing games, “ Lucic told weei.com’s Big Bad Blog. “For myself, I try to keep myself in shape, but we still have two weeks here of skating. I’ve never had a problem with my conditioning at any level, so I’ll be ready.”

REAL QUOTE:

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/

Quote:
“We’ll see,” Lucic said. “You’re never really in game shape until you’re playing games. For myself, I try to keep myself in shape, but we still have two weeks here of skating. I’ve never had a problem with my conditioning at any level, so I’ll be ready.”

Lucic said that he has stayed the same weight-wise. He was listed last season as being 228 pounds. With games less than two weeks away, he’s confident that he’ll be ready to go once the puck is dropped for the season.

“That cardio aspect of being in game-shape … I think I heard [Steven] Stamkos on TSN yesterday say that you’re never really in game-shape unless you’re playing in games,” Lucic said. “We all feel the same way when it comes to that.”

I don't think anything truly represents playing at the NHL level. However players playing elsewhere have an edge. Lucic is the norm rather than the exception. I think the majority of the league is going to be playing gassed hockey for a month until they come up to speed. Whether we want to judge them based on their professionalism and off season commitment remains to be seen. It truly is a sprint to the finish line and a sullying of the Cup!

Thanks Butch for pointing out NHL fatboys.

On the flip side.....Jonny Boychuk says.....

Quote:
“I’m ready,” he said. “I’m ready to go right now, so it’s a perfect situation for me because you had to go there and work hard. Now that the season’s starting I’m glad I went there because it was a good experience and you really had to work hard to stay in shape there.”

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 pm 
He of the red stockings

first game this Saturday .... mustn't watch ....mustn't watch .....mustn't watch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:41 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

hipcheck wrote:
first game this Saturday .... mustn't watch ....mustn't watch .....mustn't watch

I'm doing the same, but am being honest & adding in "will probably watch... mustn't watch.... actually kinda wanna watch...." :lol: :chris18: :lol: :fffffuck: :lol: :chairshot:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:08 pm 
He of the red stockings

Chris18 wrote:
hipcheck wrote:

I'm doing the same, but am being honest & adding in "will probably watch... mustn't watch.... actually kinda wanna watch...." :lol: :chris18: :lol: :fffffuck: :lol: :chairshot:

yeah, that sounds familiar :doh:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:37 am 
King of Men

Musn't watch? F'n a! I'll be too busy trying to limit my beer consumption from the opener at 1pm........Its on!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:41 pm 
He of the red stockings

It's an afternoon start? Oh wait, that's the Pittsburgh /Philly game :doh:

I keep hearing about free concessions at the opener - it must be something like 1 free concession item per ticket

I really can't see Jacobs giving away free concession all night to 15,000 people

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:51 pm 
King of Men

Scratched today......has not met expectations. Slow, plodding, not even piss and vinegar. His conditioning is truly a question mark. I thought he was more but maybe he is just a meat head. Hope I am wrong.

This whole team needs to find a different gear....you too Krejci! SOS We need a finisher/sniper!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:38 pm 
King of Men

Very curious to see what Milan turns into next year. Is he just a plodding meathead? Or can he be something more? His salary only goes up from here.......for 5.5 million I expect at least 35/35 with over a 100 PIMs (usual production).

I would expect this to be a make or break year for him as fans are starting to leave his wagon. It took him all shortened season into the playoffs to actually get going. I also expect to see him elevate his professional game this year. He's 25 years old and its time to put together a strong and serious off season conditioning program. Gary where are you?

I don't think he's got a lot of rope this year. Time to prove he's committed or be put on the short list.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:22 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
Very curious to see what Milan turns into next year. Is he just a plodding meathead? Or can he be something more? His salary only goes up from here.......for 5.5 million I expect at least 35/35 with over a 100 PIMs (usual production).

I would expect this to be a make or break year for him as fans are starting to leave his wagon. It took him all shortened season into the playoffs to actually get going. I also expect to see him elevate his professional game this year. He's 25 years old and its time to put together a strong and serious off season conditioning program. Gary where are you?

I don't think he's got a lot of rope this year. Time to prove he's committed or be put on the short list.

I'd trade you a couple Presidents Trophy's for the B's most recent SC. If Lucic only goes 20/20 who cares, it's the post season that matters and not the regular season. Lucic is the perfect design for playoff hockey even when he's not scoring, he makes defencemen tremble and inflicts a heavy toll on opponents in a 7 game series wearing them down.

Quite frankly I'd trade any player on the Nucks for Lucic in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:24 am 
King of Men

I care and I think the Bruins do too. 20/20 for a guy making 6.5 with conditioning issues is unacceptable. I saw bags of quikrete faster than Milan throughout last season (including Jagr!). Massive fan backlash if they got rid of him however. His salary is increasing the next few years so I still expect him to be watched closely.

I suppose at this point if we share anything in :x common between the two teams its a Long Term goalie contract....... :x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:32 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Looch can take punishment like no other player I've ever seen. I suppose the day will come when someone lays him out, but it hasn't happened yet, and plenty have tried.

He can obviously dish it out too. The guy knows his role--create space for his linemates, pot some dirty goals here and there, and hit everything in sight. I think part of his paycheck stems from the fact that he's (arguably) the team's most popular player--he puts butts in seats, plain and simple.

I wouldn't get too hung up on conditioning issues. Brett Hull was one of hockey's most prolific scorers and he had conditioning issues his whole career. Some guys can get away with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

After running Ryan Miller I've hoped someone would clean his clock. The fact that nobody has been able to impresses me and makes me kind of respect him. Kind of.

I read some funny stuff about Hull a while back. When he first broke into the league with Calgary the coach hated him, thought he was fat & lazy. Told Hull "kid the only ice you're going to see is in your Diet Coke." :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:02 pm 

Good article on Milan with a focus on conditioning

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Milan+Lucic+focusing+winning+games+path+spot/8760981/story.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:17 pm 
King of Men

That's good to hear. He got the message.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:14 am 
King of Men

Seems like I am not the only one questioning Lucic's value.....Happy 500 games to my favorite Boston Meathead! 6.5 Million is an awfully large price tag.

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2014 ... ilan-lucic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:25 pm 
King of Men

Eghad....this guy is quickly turning into a joke........a highly over paid one at that.....throw your glove at him again Milan!!!!

:haha:

And then he follows it up with a gutless comment? Like ball spearing and threatening to kill guys in handshake lines isn't a f'n disgrace? Meathead!