OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:17 pm 
Big in Japan

Had to be done, but hopefully it's brighter days for the Jets franchise. With Stastny, Perreault off the books and Little maybe LTIR for good, they enter next season with about 30M to spend and this top 6:

Connor-Schiefele-Wheeler
Perfetti/Harkins-Dubois-Ehlers

Or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:06 am 
Big in Japan

Paul Maurice sent out three forwards in OT twice and scored both times in about 30 seconds. Every team needs to do this now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:54 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Paul Maurice sent out three forwards in OT twice and scored both times in about 30 seconds. Every team needs to do this now.

Don’t know if others should do that. Maurice has to because that’s where his talent is.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:46 pm 
Old Man of the Post

The Jets are in a deep, deep funk. They made the Cannots look competent and capable. Without Ehlers, this team doesn't look so tough.

EDIT: The Jets may suck but they don't suck as much as my Cannots #TeamTank

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:17 pm 
Big in Japan

Not sure what happened to the Jets in the second round. They were lousy in Game 1 before Scheifele's hit, so I don't buy that it was just his absence. Maurice basically said they ran out of gas. Fair enough.

Future outlook isn't so bad. For a team that struggles to attract players because of where they play, they've managed to lock up the important guys: Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Wheeler, Morrissey, Lowry, Melo, Buck all signed long-term. Now get Copp done. They've got money coming off the books. I'd bring back Perreault if I were them, on a cheap deal. He was the only kickstarter they had some nights vs. Montreal.

Dubois might move on. Not a fit, can get some defence for him (Rakell/Manson maybe?). I don't think the market will be that hot for Stastny, but they might look elsewhere to fill that top-6 spot. Is there even a slight chance Little comes back?

Dumba would be a perfect fit here. They needed some zest on the backend.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:31 am 
Big in Japan

Jets get a badly needed defenceman in Brendan Dillon and bring back Paul Stastny on a cheap deal. Good stuff for them. Dillon cost two 2nds but it had to be done.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:28 am 
Big in Japan

Jets finally convince Nate Schmidt to waive his NTC for them. Defence slowly turning from a weakness to a strength (or at least not a weakness):

Morrissey-Demelo
Dillon-Pionk
Stanley-Schmidt
Beaulieu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:01 pm 
Big in Japan

Jets extend Pionk: 4x5.875M AAV

Weird how that trade worked out. Trouba got paid and declined hard in New York, Pionk improved, while Morrissey has struggled without his old partner. Not sure either side got what they wanted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:15 pm 

Cheveldayoff escapes punishment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:24 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Cheveldayoff escapes punishment.

Not considered senior leadership. Unfuckingbelievable. An assistant GM isn't senior leadership? Considering what these pricks did, was anyone really a leader in that org?

He probably told Bettman "I saved the email chain where we told you and you said to sweep it under the rug".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:41 pm 

That was kinda fun to watch last night, caught a bit of the Jets gettin' goalied up last night, and it really was as lopsided as that shot count would have you believe. Winnipeg got a whole slew of power plays, including a double-minor when Blake Wheeler got cut in the face with a stick, and still couldn't get the puck past Karel Vejmelka.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:30 am 
Big in Japan

Friedmann says PL Dubois will only sign for two years to take him to unrestricted free agency in 2024. Jets have trouble attracting guys to lovely Winnipeg, so they may cut bait now for someone with more control.

After a strong first impression with Torts in Columbus, PLD's defensive game has tailed off and now he's looking more like a one-dimensional scorer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:18 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Friedmann says PL Dubois will only sign for two years to take him to unrestricted free agency in 2024. Jets have trouble attracting guys to lovely Winnipeg, so they may cut bait now for someone with more control.

After a strong first impression with Torts in Columbus, PLD's defensive game has tailed off and now he's looking more like a one-dimensional scorer.

I always feel players get judged too harshly in the public spotlight, it's like fans and pundits just love doing a full psychological analysis based on one or two events portrayed in the media.

Now...that said, something doesn't sit well with me with Dubois. It's not just that half-assed shift that sealed his fate in Lumbus, it's not just the mercenary way he appears to be going about business (it's his right, I get it), there's just something there--call it a gut feeling if nothing else--that this isn't a guy you should build around.

Mind you, I don't think he's Evander Kane-level toxic by any means, and I have no idea if he's a good person or not, nor do I care that much, but I just don't think he's a core player.

Incidentally I have the same gut feeling about Jack Eichel too.

I feel...somewhat...for Cheveldayoff. Finally gets his 1-2 punch at center after so many misfires and one guy acts like he wants out, the other guy definitely does.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:00 pm 
Big in Japan

I'm starting to think a big reload is coming in Winnipeg this offseason. Dubois, Wheeler and Hellebuyck could all be moved, and the Jets could get back 6-7 assets here, maybe more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:50 pm 
Big in Japan

Dubois cools the flames on his desire to be traded to Montreal. He lives here and wanted to see the draft live, what's the harm in that?

How I interpret it? He probably thinks he can best his career-high in points on a pretty good Jets team this year, then cash in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:08 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Dubois cools the flames on his desire to be traded to Montreal. He lives here and wanted to see the draft live, what's the harm in that?

How I interpret it? He probably thinks he can best his career-high in points on a pretty good Jets team this year, then cash in.

Career high? Lucky Bowness will have something to say about that. :laugh:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Career high? Lucky Bowness will have something to say about that. :laugh:

Hiring some old fart to teach lockdown defence to a team with no defensive ability sounds par for the course in this wretched league.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:58 pm 

Jets announce via Twitter a "leadership restructuring" which is a fancy way of saying they stripped Blake Wheeler of the captaincy.

It was no secret Wheeler was on his way out, this all but confirms it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:23 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/n ... 1665919650

Jets enjoying Bowness and his staff much more than Maurice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:29 pm 

Scott 679 wrote:
https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets/players-cite-night-and-day-difference-in-coaching-this-season-dillon-loves-big-hit-but-not-looking-to-kill-everybody-ehlers-rests-up-for-first-road-grind-of-season?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0fGSeY6lV3TTaeWGw9B9BCn3kPj4PPvcHSe182yUqLjbhFeYaUVNbzXMM#Echobox=1665919650

Jets enjoying Bowness and his staff much more than Maurice.

Not anymore they ain't.

https://theathletic.com/4461533/2023/04 ... =57708#_=_

For those of you who don't have a sub, the skinny is this: Bones ripped the team a new one prior to their final game, a listless effort to say the least, and called their character into question. Apparently Paul Maurice saw it too--he treated these guys with kid gloves and they still turned on him--and got the hell outta Dodge.

Bones was brought aboard to change the culture in Winnipeg but it appears to be a bit too toxic for even him to fully right. I imagine both Dubois and Scheifele are gonzo, as well they should be. Scheifele in particular strikes me as a whiny little diva with the emotional maturity of a cactus.

Blow it up, Chevy. You've done all you can (but really...you didn't), it's time to move on, if you're even the GM after this season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next