OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:57 am 
Big in Japan

Rapidly ageing Bryan Little receives a 6-year/31M contract. Yikes. 5.3M AAV.

He's been around forever (OG Jet, Thrasher vet), he only turns 30 in November. That being said, he's been unable to clear 60 games in recent seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:14 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Mason...woof.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:42 pm 
Big in Japan

The Jets were finally rolling, but now Scheifele is out 6-8 weeks. Goodbye playoff spot...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:19 pm 

E.L. wrote:
The Jets were finally rolling, but now Scheifele is out 6-8 weeks. Goodbye playoff spot...

I dunno, first game with Wheeler at center didn't go so badly.

Something still seems very much off with this team though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:57 am 
Big in Japan

The Jets DO NOT SUCK ANYMORE.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:37 am 
Big in Japan

The Jets' first-round draft record is pretty remarkable:

Scheifele in 2011
Trouba in 2012
Morrissey in 2013
Ehlers in 2014
Connor and Roslovic in 2015
Laine in 2016

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Trouba goes to arby's, gets 5.5M. The Jets do not like him, they keep having contract issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:30 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Trouba goes to arby's, gets 5.5M. The Jets do not like him, they keep having contract issues.

About 24 of the 48 hours have passed without them agreeing to the arbitrator's deal. If they walk away, does he start from scratch with another team, or is that $5.5 million the starting place? I mean, I know he wants $7/year, but I don't know that he gets that, even on the open market.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:11 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
About 24 of the 48 hours have passed without them agreeing to the arbitrator's deal. If they walk away, does he start from scratch with another team, or is that $5.5 million the starting place? I mean, I know he wants $7/year, but I don't know that he gets that, even on the open market.

He'd be a UFA which means that anything could be the conceivable starting point, but I'd almost guarantee he'd get more on the open market so Winnipeg will accept the ruling. Either way I think this marriage will end in a trade, neither side seems particularly enamored with the other.

These rulings are getting ridiculous. They just split the difference so often that some teams are coming in with super-lowball offers they know are insulting just to drive down the mean.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:50 pm 

This lineup is unreal.

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Laine
Vesalainen - Roslovic - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Morrissey - Trouba
Chiarot - Byfuglien
Morrow - Myers

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

Conceivably they could deal Perrault and Little and still have a filthy forward corps and free up a ton of salary to boot.

They could use some more depth on the blueline, and I'm still not convinced Bro-Swah is an NHL goalie, but it's likely gonna come down to these guys and Nashville for the Central crown, and possibly the Presidents Trophy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:29 pm 

Patrik Laine is such a strange player. He's currently at 8-2-10 in 17 games, which is respectable but nowhere near what you want from your most talented scorer. I read he has yet to register a single point at even strength.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:01 pm 
Big in Japan

Vesalainen heading back to Europe. KHL?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:42 pm 

I wonder if there was some fallout by not including him on the roster during their trip to Finland. Seems kinda dumb in hindsight that you scratched him in favor of Brendan fucking Lemieux.

Either way, if there was one guy I'd consider selling high on it's Mathieu "Two-Way Jesus" Perreault. Dude is an absolute force out there and signed to an insanely cap-friendly contract. But he's 30 and has missed significant time in the past due to injury. Then you free up a lineup spot for Vesalainen. But I suppose this is the "downside" of having an embarrassment of riches in your developmental system.

Their blueline is going to be a thing to watch. Unlike their forward corps, which has a lot of guys locked down long-term, the Jets don't have a lot of their defensemen signed for much past this season.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:18 am 

Uh oh...the Jets might suck again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:38 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:

They need a centre bad. And good health. And to stop playing around and keep Niku up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:37 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

They need a centre bad. And good health. And to stop playing around and keep Niku up.

Trouba Kadri deal. What's Trouba going to command this summer?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:57 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Trouba Kadri deal. What's Trouba going to command this summer?

Jets should try for a trade n' sign, because otherwise Trouba will go to Arby's and he'll be expensive, plus he'll bounce next summer.

Chiarot and Myers are also UFAs, so the Jets will have to rebuild their defence on the fly. Niku and Poolman have to push their way into the everyday lineup. Stanley is a good prospect too.

If they can deal Kulikov or Perreault, they will. Use that money on yet another stopgap centre (yup, Kadri comes to mind), while they wait for Roslovic to improve.

Laine and Connor need to be locked up long-term. Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:58 pm 

Laine needs to step the hell up. That said, even disappearing for a good long portion of the season he still managed 30/20/50. Talent is undeniable, but I wonder if the focus is there. Maurice kinda treated him with the kid gloves. Might not be the best approach.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:23 pm 
Big in Japan

What's going on in Winnipeg? They still good? Are they going to get Laine and Connor locked up long-term? They've got a decent amount of cap space to get it all done, and guys they can jettison like Kulikov.

Had no choice and let Myers/Chiarot walk, but I don't think they'll regret it. Beaulieu kinda seems like a fit here. Given his physical attributes they could squeeze out some minutes from him.

Connor-Schiefele-Wheeler
Ehlers-???-Laine
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Vesalainen

Morrissey-Buff
Beaulieu-Pionk
Poolman-Niku

Hellessoit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:59 pm 

E.L. wrote:
What's going on in Winnipeg? They still good? Are they going to get Laine and Connor locked up long-term? They've got a decent amount of cap space to get it all done, and guys they can jettison like Kulikov.

Had no choice and let Myers/Chiarot walk, but I don't think they'll regret it. Beaulieu kinda seems like a fit here. Given his physical attributes they could squeeze out some minutes from him.

Connor-Schiefele-Wheeler
Ehlers-???-Laine
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Vesalainen

Morrissey-Buff
Beaulieu-Pionk
Poolman-Niku

Hellessoit

It all comes down to two players: Laine and Hellebuyck. If they are dominant, the Jets will win the talent-packed Central. If they're more like what they were last season, they'll be a bubble team.

They have no choice now but to try Roslovic at 2C.

I admire Chevy a great deal, but the Jets are a cautionary tale in that they probably waited a little too long before finally going for it. I also believed at the time that reinvesting in Bryan Little instead of selling high on him was going to be a big mistake. Even savvy moves like signing Perreault are looking like future salary cap casualties at this point. If they essentially lose Ehlers for nothing I think they may be in for a very rough season.

I'm still at a loss as to why the Jets' underlying numbers, especially when Wheeler and Scheifele were on the ice, went in the tank. What the hell happened there!? Has the team just tuned out Paulie? Speaking of Maurice, I'm kinda surprised the transition from him to Vincent didn't happen this offseason. It most assuredly will during the year if the Jets struggle at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next