OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:11 pm 
OTP Historian

Keep in mind that this starts in the 2016-17 season, when Kesler will be 32 years old.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:34 pm 
OTP Historian

Redundant JFJ clause is redundant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:38 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Wondering how much of this he'll spend injured (I was gonna say LTIR but I think the Ducks are still well below the cap).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:52 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Future Las Vegas captain Ryan Kesler

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:29 pm 
OTP Historian

1 year left on his contract and no bidding war. Still, reminds me of this.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... p?pid=2332

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:57 pm 

Remember, just a year ago he demanded a trade to ONLY Anaheim. It's not like he was a huge threat to sign somewhere else next summer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:00 pm 
Big in Japan

RFA's after next season: Andersen, Gibson, Vatanen, Lindholm, Despres, Rackell, Sekac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:23 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Kurt Overhardt Sports and Ryan's father, Mike Kesler are magicians.

http://kosportsinc.com/our-team/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:52 am 

Ridiculous term but the contract is quite reasonable in comparison to Luca Sibisa's. If he hit UFA there would be others offering him 90% of what he got, so as bad as I think it is, it probably isn't that bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:08 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Ridiculous term but the contract is quite reasonable in comparison to Luca Sibisa's. If he hit UFA there would be others offering him 90% of what he got, so as bad as I think it is, it probably isn't that bad.

Fogg, you're going crazy if you're comparing contracts in units of Sbisa.

https://twitter.com/robvollmanNHL/statu ... 5586903042
https://twitter.com/robvollmanNHL/statu ... 1063632896

Quote:
Imagine going back ~7 years, and signing Madden, Rolston, or Drury to a high-price deal that just expired. That's what ANA did with Kesler.

Like Kesler next year, Madden, Rolston, Drury were all ~32 7 years ago, had similar scoring totals, and were ~10th in Selke voting.

This contract is just batshit crazy. And, as I said, based on the fact that just one year ago Kesler demanded a trade ONLY to Anaheim, so if they offered him 11% more than what others would've offered him in a year, rather than, you know, LESS than what less desirable markets/teams would've offered him if they took advantage of his love of Disneyland, then sure, it'd be better.

They offered him a contract as if they were Buffalo trying to land the guy. And he's going to be a shitty bottom six player three years into the deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:41 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Is the ghost of George Steinbrenner running the Ducks?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:45 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Is the ghost of George Steinbrenner running the Ducks?

In completely unrelated news they recently hired Dave Nonis to their management team.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:53 pm 

Didn't mean to say I think its a good contract. It's 2 or 3 years too long imo. However just because Kesler insisted on Anaheim last year doesn't mean he would a year from now. His list was originally Pitts, Chicago, Anaheim........then he scratched Pittsburgh. It was not about being in Cali it was about a chance for a cup. We have no reason to think anything has changed for him since (and Anaheim management would know best in this regard). So I think its reasonable to believe he would have gone to any of up to a half dozen teams who were serious contenders and had the cap space.

Where I think this contract is wrong is that Kesler plays hard and it takes a toll on his body. I'm pretty doubtful he puts together another 82 games season and injury free playoff and that is probably what it would take for teams to pony up a similar contract next year. It seems like a pretty big and unnecessary risk right now to offer him this contract now and not a year from now. That is their biggest mistake imo. Secondly is the term, its way too long but maybe that's the price GM's after a cup need to pay. Go for it in the 2 or 3 year window they have and screw the organization 5 or 6 years out. I'd probably do that for a good chance at the cup. The last factor is whether other teams would offer him similar term and coin. I would think if he stays healthy other contending teams would have offered 7 million a year for 3 or 4 years at least. We're always surprised how much money is thrown at old, decaying veterans and I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't again.

Sbisa on the other hand is a 6 or 7 dman, those guys can be had for less than a million a year on a one year contract. What he was given was a far bigger mistake imo. Don't get me wrong, I think both contracts are dumb but one is egregiously dumb the other just typically stoopid.