OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:52 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=255628&lid= ... Story_main

Bob Murray to take over. More details this afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:55 pm 
Big in Japan

Finally the charade is over. He'll take the Leafs job soon enough, although this was still handled in an extremely fishy manner (the only way the NHL knows how to operate).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:03 pm 
Flamer who Likes to Ride Rough

VERY interesting development...especially since it says he's been fired, not that they've mutually agreed to terminate the contract.

Seemed from before that Anaheim was fine with having him finish out his contract and then move on...perhaps he did something to indicate to ownership that he couldn't act in good faith as GM with the impending exit?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:21 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Once again he'll get way more credit than he deserves for building a Cup contender and leaves the organization with a gigantic mess.

Good luck Toronto, you'll need it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:25 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:
Once again he'll get way more credit than he deserves for building a Cup contender and leaves the organization with a gigantic mess.

I think he could've done a better job in Anaheim, but I wouldn't say leaving Anaheim with a top line of Kunitz-Getzlaf-Perry signed long term, Chris Pronger signed through next year, and a Giguere-Hiller tandem qualifies as a "mess". There's lots of work to do for next year, but Murray does have some good pieces to work with.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:38 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

I think he could've done a better job in Anaheim, but I wouldn't say leaving Anaheim with a top line of Kunitz-Getzlaf-Perry signed long term, Chris Pronger signed through next year, and a Giguere-Hiller tandem qualifies as a "mess". There's lots of work to do for next year, but Murray does have some good pieces to work with.

I should have been more specific on "mess." I meant the cap situation is a mess. Anaheim has to keep shedding assets in order to add assets. And I think the team will take a huge dive when Niedermayer retires for good (though at this point he might hold on for another season to make it to the Olympics in his hometown). A Selanne retirement won't help matters either, though it might pave the way for Bobby Ryan to finally make his way into the NHL for good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:20 pm 

File this one under "bullshit."

Quote:
"This was the hardest decision I've ever had to make," Burke said. "I'm comforted that the team is in great hands with Bob and (assistant GM) David (McNab) in charge."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:13 pm 
Loves The Cock

saskhab wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

How much of that did he manufacture? Moreover, that's exactly what he did in Vancouver, tie up tons of money in 5 core guys. Not the way to do it in a salary cap world. The team won the Cup because their stars came of age before their entry level deals expired, and the credit for that goes to who drafted them (Coates) not who inherited them (Burke).

Good riddance, pariah...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:55 pm 

razzmatazz wrote:
saskhab wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

How much of that did he manufacture? Moreover, that's exactly what he did in Vancouver, tie up tons of money in 5 core guys. Not the way to do it in a salary cap world. The team won the Cup because their stars came of age before their entry level deals expired, and the credit for that goes to who drafted them (Coates) not who inherited them (Burke).

Good riddance, pariah...

The 5 core guys he's tied up in Anaheim are a hell of a lot better than the ones he tied up in Vancouver. Over the next 5 years, expect Getzlaf and Perry to be one of the most dynamic duos in the NHL. Giguere's the only deal that might come back to bite them because he'll be getting older by the end.

The two situations aren't that comparable. I'm not saying Burke is great for acquiring those guys, I'm saying he left a good core in place. Murray's immediate concern will be his back end with everyone but Pronger a UFA after this year.

And tying up money in core guys is the way of the salary cap world... your B's have Chara, Savard, and Bergeron tied up right now to long term big money deals, and they had Murray and Schaefer holding them back.

He's left behind a good core and the right guys signed long term. Look, I've criticized his moves plenty of times, but he didn't fuck up with the group he left behind. I bet you Murray is happy with that foundation of players to build his Ducks around.

The way Anaheim is currently structured isn't a lot different than the way Detroit or San Jose are. The problem is that it's an older team surrounding them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:31 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Av-merican wrote:
And I think the team will take a huge dive when Niedermayer retires for good (though at this point he might hold on for another season to make it to the Olympics in his hometown).

For what it's worth, Cranbrook is in eastern BC, very far from Vancouver and considerably closer to Calgary (it's full of Flame fans). Think Denver to Wichita, but a little farther.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:54 am 
King of the One-Liner

Well that makes much more sense, why keep a guy at the wheel you know is leaving. So does this mean the Leafs and Ducks can now trade players again without extra league scrutiny?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:28 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Well that makes much more sense, why keep a guy at the wheel you know is leaving.

Which is why when Vancouver was in the same situation, they just kept him right until the bitter end.