OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2021 AHL Season
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:08 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

The AHL has approved a framework to start their season Feb 5th, 2021. No details on hub cities, empty/partially filled buildings yet. But hey, they'll play! :toot:

Post subject: Re: 2021 AHL Season
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:43 am 

A few teams aren't playing this year, so some AHL teams are doubling their affiliations and the division alignment is unique to say the least. The Bridgeport Sound Tigers, Hartford Wolfpack and Providence Bruins make up the entire Atlantic Division. Three teams. Then the Pacific Division has 8 teams. North has 7, Central has 6, and Canadian has 4. 5 divisions, ranging 3-8 teams. Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

Official story clarifies a lot of what I was saying above- https://theahl.com/28-teams-participate-2020-21-season

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:15 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Seriously, the Blues seemingly have the worst luck with AHL affiliations. Just after getting the San Antonio Rampage bought and relocated out from under them, they reach an agreement with the Springfield Falcons, who subsequently shut down. That said...it ain't like the Blues have any AHL prospects, so I doubt they'll care if they have to take their minor league scrubs and stash them on another roster somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:35 pm 

The AHL schedule is out and it sure is unique!

https://theahl.com/2020-21-ahl-schedule

The division with Bridgeport, Hartford and Providence has each team playing 24 games total- 12 against each other team in the smallest division ever.
Other divisions have teams playing 38 and 40 games. What the fucking fuck? I get that it's a weird year and some teams opted out, but this is just so strange. Player stats- will they be done by per game or something like that?

At least it's more hockey to pay attention to!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:38 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

From what I understand, this is a glorified scrimmage season. VERY limited number of games, almost no travel, and no playoffs. Doesn't seem very conducive to development.

Also, there are minor league players in a serious cash crisis. Their salaries will be severely prorated and as a result will be a mere pittance. I think I read that all the NHL would have to do is pool together something like $8-12 million so these guys can keep food on the table. So I'm guessing they won't.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:27 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
From what I understand, this is a glorified scrimmage season. VERY limited number of games, almost no travel, and no playoffs. Doesn't seem very conducive to development.

Also, there are minor league players in a serious cash crisis. Their salaries will be severely prorated and as a result will be a mere pittance. I think I read that all the NHL would have to do is pool together something like $8-12 million so these guys can keep food on the table. So I'm guessing they won't.

Holy crap, I didn't realize that. That sucks!