OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NWHL
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:30 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

So it looks like the NWHL (National Women's Hockey League) will actually happen. I've heard it's going to compete too much with the existing CWHL (Canadian Women's Hockey League).

The CWHL has teams in Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary & Brampton. Very Canadian centric, as the name would imply.
The NWHL will have teams in Boston, Buffalo, Hartford & Long Island. Very East Coast Centric, not really implied by the league name.

The CWHL doesn't pay its players at all, and they even have to supply their own tape, laces, etc.
The NWHL will pay players $15k US. Hardly enough to live on, but it's a start.

The NWHL had its draft last weekend, with the NY Riveters (Rosey the Riveter-esque logo) getting the first overall pick. They took Alex Carpenter.

Teams:
NY Riveters- http://nwhl.co/teams/new-york-riveters/
CT Whale- http://nwhl.co/teams/connecticut-whale/ (Guess they didn't learn from the Rangers AHL affiliate)
Buffalo Beauts- http://nwhl.co/teams/buffalo-beauts/
Boston Pride- http://nwhl.co/teams/boston-pride/ I was kind of hoping for a rainbow theme on this one :P

I'm halfway between the Hartford & NY teams. I'm probably much more likely to attend games in Hartford, since my girls play in the CT league and we spend half of winter in middle CT.

Post subject: Re: NWHL
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:29 pm 

Kind of amusing- what should have been the Long Island team have been forced to move to Brooklyn due to arena issues.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2015/7/ ... ings-watch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Hopefully the competition forces the CWHL to pay its players. The Montreal team just joined a partnership with the Canadiens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:15 am 

E.L. wrote:
Hopefully the competition forces the CWHL to pay its players. The Montreal team just joined a partnership with the Canadiens.

Yeah, but neither league is getting any support from the NHL, despite it's Hockey is for Everyone mantra. The NBA supports the WNBA. Time for the NHL to step up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:29 pm 

Full schedule:
http://nwhl.co/schedule/

Each team plays the others 6 times each, 3 home, 3 away.

I'm going to try to catch some games this winter. Kids' teams play at Chelsea Piers in CT now & then, so hopefully we're there on a game day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:36 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

The New York Riveters sign Jenny Scrivens, wife of Edmonton's goalie Ben.

They met while both were goalies at Cornell.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:14 pm 

saskhab wrote:

You beat me to it.

So he'll play in Edmonton & her in NY. Should make for a fun winter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:32 pm 
Big in Japan

I hear Jarret Stoll is single ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:14 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Chris18 wrote:
saskhab wrote:

You beat me to it.

Hey, maybe the Isles will need a backup.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:56 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
saskhab wrote:

You beat me to it.

Hey, maybe the Isles will need a backup.

You talking about Ben or Jenny? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:37 am 

Older daughter played in an all girls U14 tournament this past weekend in NJ. The NWHL was supposed to send some players to meet the girls but their contracts don't start until Sept 1st, so none were there. Bummer. It would have been cool for the girls to meet some pro women.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:10 pm 

Damn! Hillary Knight signs with the NWHL's Boston Pride. I was hoping she'd go to NY or CT (although I knew she wouldn't). http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 20319.html

In rival league news, the CWHL's Montreal team changed their logo to be more Hab-like, since they are officially affiliated with the Habs, which I greatly applaud the Habs for doing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:18 am 

First games happened this weekend, with the CT Whale & Boston Pride both winning 4-1, over the NY Riveters & Buffalo Beauts respectively.

I like how the jerseys have nameplates down low so their hair doesn't cover their names. Very functional, yet I find it funny.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:28 pm 

NWHL's Boston Pride vs CWHL's Montreal Les Canadiennes outdoor game today. Not on TV. What the fuck? Go to the trouble of having an interleague game on a big stage and now show it? Where's the sense in that?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:38 pm 

So Denna Laing sustained a serious spinal injury in the women's outdoor classic. She is on the Boston Pride's practice squad, but played since a bunch of the top players are at the International games. She stepped on a stick & went into the boards face first. Her friend started a GoFundMe account, trying to raise $50k for medical bills. The main reason the game almost didn't happen was insurance. Since she's on the practice squad, not a fully rostered player, it's being questioned if the insurance will cover her medical costs. Bettman, the Bruins & Habs have all issued statements saying they hope she's better, and will support her recovery. Like the 3 of them combined couldn't come up with $50k??? But I guess then they'd be opening themselves to paying for injured players, like retired NHLers with concussions. Can't have that! So they'll make nice public statements instead. Lovely.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:49 pm 

Bruins giving $200k to Laing's family to put toward her medical bills. Very cool of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:33 pm 

First NWHL trade is a pair of backup goalies swapped for each other. http://nwhl.co/nwhl-announces-first-league-trade/
And a day later, the first place Whale's coach quit, with no explanation. iiam:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:12 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The owner of this Connecticut Whale isn't the same doofus who briefly owned the Hartford Wolf Pack and briefly turned THEM into the Connecticut Whale, is it? If so, it would explain a great deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:40 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
The owner of this Connecticut Whale isn't the same doofus who briefly owned the Hartford Wolf Pack and briefly turned THEM into the Connecticut Whale, is it? If so, it would explain a great deal.

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I thought for now the NWHL owns all 4 teams.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:58 pm 
OTP Clown

Bitches.

That is all.