OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:49 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

http://www.tsn.ca/ahl-to-amend-rule-aft ... s-1.127027

He's being called a coward or smart goalie, depending on the viewpoint. I say he knew the current rule and tried to help his team. He certainly could have been less obvious about it! But now there's a Leggio rule. He may never make the NHL, but he'll certainly be remembered.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:52 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Game misconduct probably still makes doing it worth it for the team, to be honest.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:05 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Game misconduct probably still makes doing it worth it for the team, to be honest.

Not when your cold backup goalie needs to face the penalty shot, and it can be any player who was on the ice taking the shot. I guess if it's the first period and the backup had some warming up maybe. But not in the third when he's been sitting there eating gummy bears out of his pads, ala Jamie McLennan.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:06 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
saskhab wrote:

Not when your cold backup goalie needs to face the penalty shot, and it can be any player who was on the ice taking the shot. I guess if it's the first period and the backup had some warming up maybe. But not in the third when he's been sitting there eating gummy bears out of his pads, ala Jamie McLennan.

Meh, goalies have come in cold for the shootout in many different games, not the most common practice but it happens. If there's an effect, I assume it'd be like a 5% bump at max advantage on the penalty shot. I assume 2 on 0s result in goals well over 50% of the time, probably approaching 70-75%. Shootouts are what, 30% at best? Make it 35% with a cold goalie. Big whoop, advantage still goes to the goalie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:04 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I think it should be an automatic goal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:37 pm 

Hounsy wrote:

Nothing should be an automatic goal. They should make the guy take a penalty shot on an empty net if someone takes him out on a breakaway/throws his stick on an empty net chance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:56 pm 
King of the One-Liner

saskhab wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Nothing should be an automatic goal. They should make the guy take a penalty shot on an empty net if someone takes him out on a breakaway/throws his stick on an empty net chance.

but no goalie would take the net off intentionally if it was an automatic goal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:35 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
saskhab wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

but no goalie would take the net off intentionally if it was an automatic goal.

How many games of chess have you not had the satisfaction of winning because someone threw a tantrum instead?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:40 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bah I'm just likely more perturbed by the goalies actions than most. I hate the way it looks and would like to close the loophole hard is all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:12 pm 

This is the most ridiculously obvious case of a goalie knocking the net off. I've seen plenty of games where a goalie definitely "accidentally" knocked the net off while the other team was buzzing, during a 5-3 PP, tired defenders, etc. How do you know, besides in this case, when a goalie does it on purpose? To give an automatic goal for a net knocked off could have a major impact.

Sask- Is it really only about a 5% increase vs a cold goalie? I would think it would be higher than that, but that is probably just "common knowledge" being incorrect.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:22 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I just meant on clear cut breaks not scramble situations as that would get far to subjective.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:22 pm 

Oh, I don't know, that'd be my guess if there is one. There obviously isn't a lot of data but I know some coaches seem comfortable doing this, you usually see one team at an international tournament use a specific goalie for the shootout. Of course, those guys are presumably better at it than the usual starter, so that's a different scenario. But I can't see a cold goalie having a less than 50% shot at letting in the goal, and then it's really about how much better your starter is than your backup for the rest of the game... which in most cases, isn't a lot when considering a couple of periods. I mean, if your starter is a .917 or .920 and your backup is a .910 like is typical in the NHL, then he stops about 1 shot more per 100, which probably doesn't matter over 30 minutes.

I think there's still an element where a guy like Leggio getting kicked out would be a benefit. And especially since they usually let backups get a small warmup in before a game. It's risky because it's so unknown but the tradeoff is an almost certain goal vs a likely miss on the penalty shot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:04 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Oh, I don't know, that'd be my guess if there is one. There obviously isn't a lot of data but I know some coaches seem comfortable doing this, you usually see one team at an international tournament use a specific goalie for the shootout. Of course, those guys are presumably better at it than the usual starter, so that's a different scenario. But I can't see a cold goalie having a less than 50% shot at letting in the goal, and then it's really about how much better your starter is than your backup for the rest of the game... which in most cases, isn't a lot when considering a couple of periods. I mean, if your starter is a .917 or .920 and your backup is a .910 like is typical in the NHL, then he stops about 1 shot more per 100, which probably doesn't matter over 30 minutes.

I think there's still an element where a guy like Leggio getting kicked out would be a benefit. And especially since they usually let backups get a small warmup in before a game. It's risky because it's so unknown but the tradeoff is an almost certain goal vs a likely miss on the penalty shot.

Funny enough there is precedent. In D2 Goldberg was pulled by Coach Bombay in favor of Julie "the cat" to face the last Iceland shooter, who of course used the triple deke, only to be stonewalled by the Cat. So there you have it folks.