OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:54 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey ... ahead.html

No word on whether or not they'll be trading for any Staals.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:04 pm 

Makes good economic and logistical sense for the team, too bad for St. John's though

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:18 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Fogghorn wrote:
Makes good economic and logistical sense for the team, too bad for St. John's though

I'll never understand why so many teams have their AHL affiliates so far away. LA Kings- Manchester Monarchs for example, is 3,000+ miles. :wtf:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:24 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

I'll never understand why so many teams have their AHL affiliates so far away. LA Kings- Manchester Monarchs for example, is 3,000+ miles. :wtf:

Manchester to LA = 2572 miles, Utica to Vancouver 2928 miles. And they have to drive an hour to get to the airport, friggin ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:39 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The NHL/AHL has always been weird like that. I think part of it has to do with the fact that #1, if you have the AHL affilliate too close it runs into regional rivalries and what not (Ex: Toronto Roadrunners/Oilers, Quebec Citadelles/Canadiens). Not sure it requires quite as much distance as they put between affiliate and NHL team though.

The Avs actually have a CHL affiliate in Denver, the Cutthroats, but I hear attendance figures are terrible. Guess there is also the risk of an apathetic local fanbase that wants to see the real thing. Hopefully I can catch a game or two at Denver Coliseum before they move or fold. The other local CO minor league hockey team, the Eagles (ECHL), who have enjoyed great success in Loveland, were actually an affiliate of the Ice Caps/Jets until 2012-13. I don't believe they have ever been affiliated with the Avs, even though they wore uniforms based on COL's jerseys.

The really weird thing about this is that St. John's attendance figures have been good. Why have they now lost 2 AHL teams though?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:47 pm 
Big in Japan

Travelling to and from St. John's is an expensive pain in the butt, though.

It'll never make sense to have a team there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:57 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
The NHL/AHL has always been weird like that. I think part of it has to do with the fact that #1, if you have the AHL affilliate too close it runs into regional rivalries and what not (Ex: Toronto Roadrunners/Oilers, Quebec Citadelles/Canadiens). Not sure it requires quite as much distance as they put between affiliate and NHL team though.

The Avs actually have a CHL affiliate in Denver, the Cutthroats, but I hear attendance figures are terrible. Guess there is also the risk of an apathetic local fanbase that wants to see the real thing. Hopefully I can catch a game or two at Denver Coliseum before they move or fold. The other local CO minor league hockey team, the Eagles (ECHL), who have enjoyed great success in Loveland, were actually an affiliate of the Ice Caps/Jets until 2012-13. I don't believe they have ever been affiliated with the Avs, even though they wore uniforms based on COL's jerseys.

The really weird thing about this is that St. John's attendance figures have been good. Why have they now lost 2 AHL teams though?

Traditionally and I suspect it's still true flights there are really expensive, it used to always be cheaper to fly to Europe than St. John's and every road trip will be flying, nothing close enough that they would ever be able to bus so all that adds up.

When you tack on how difficult it is to bring a player in for emergency call up teams are going to go unless the city ponies up a really lucrative deal like Abbottsford did.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:19 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

E.L. wrote:
Travelling to and from St. John's is an expensive pain in the butt, though.

It'll never make sense to have a team there.

They need not one, but two QMJHL teams.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:32 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Manchester to LA = 2572 miles, Utica to Vancouver 2928 miles. And they have to drive an hour to get to the airport, friggin ridiculous.

They play in Manchester, NH. From the Staples Center to the Verizon Wireless Center is 3,020 miles by shortest route according to google maps. So over 3000 miles, and :P .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:47 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

They play in Manchester, NH. From the Staples Center to the Verizon Wireless Center is 3,020 miles by shortest route according to google maps. So over 3000 miles, and :P .

As the "crow flies" it's 2566 according to daftlogic who use a Google maps plugin and really the Islanders may maybe cheap enough to bus scouts and call ups across country but most teams will fly so choose the methodology of relevance. And since LA sits about 700km east of Vancouver there is no way that route is greater than the Vancouver Utica trip.....so ha and ha again

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:08 am 

:laap: good point on isles fans having a bus mentality.