OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Danbury Whalers
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:36 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Former pro skateboarder Mike Vallely was playing for the Danbury Whalers- my local minor league team. Broke his arm in the first game- before I knew he was playing for them. They don't know if he's coming back, as it was pretty experimental/PR stunt. Bummer! I skateboarded with him a few times way back when...

Post subject: Re: Danbury Whalers
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:37 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

You probably posted it but when did they cease to be the Trashers?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:16 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Former pro skateboarder Mike Vallely was playing for the Danbury Whalers- my local minor league team. Broke his arm in the first game- before I knew he was playing for them. They don't know if he's coming back, as it was pretty experimental/PR stunt. Bummer! I skateboarded with him a few times way back when...

Thought I recognized that name. He was the dude in a CKY video who fought 4 guys at the same time, and the guy who got in shit at the Anaheim game last year. What's he like?

Is he the same guy who used to play roller hockey and absolutely kill guys who tried to fight him, and guys would join the league just to try and fight him?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:49 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Thought I recognized that name. He was the dude in a CKY video who fought 4 guys at the same time, and the guy who got in shit at the Anaheim game last year. What's he like?

Is he the same guy who used to play roller hockey and absolutely kill guys who tried to fight him, and guys would join the league just to try and fight him?

He is really cool. Would do anything for his friends. Sticks up for anyone. Basically, he's an old school skater. We skated together a few times. I didn't know him really well, but friends did/do. He really doesn't feel pain like a normal person. I consider myself pretty tough and tried lots of crazy things on a board. After a bad fall I would quit trying. He wouldn't. And he usually landed it within the first 3 tries anyway, unlike me. :?

Not sure about the roller hockey thing. I know any skateboarder with a brain didn't mess with him! I think he fought Marty McSorely on the ice in an old skateboarding video. Just for the sake of doing it.

Av- Danbury Trashers ceased to exist a few years ago. Owner/garbage disposal (capice?) company owner (hence the name) got busted for tax evasion, and having players on the garbage company payroll, which greatly circumvented the UHL salary cap issue. His son, the team president, also got suspended for kicking open the locked referee room door after a game & punching out one of the refs. Roman Ndur also hit a ref while playing for them. Needless to say, the league doesn't really feel sorry for them being gone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:51 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Not sure about the roller hockey thing. I know any skateboarder with a brain didn't mess with him! I think he fought Marty McSorely on the ice in an old skateboarding video. Just for the sake of doing it.

I talked to my older bro. It wasn't roller hockey, it was a mens ice league. He used to destroy guys in fights and people would come to that league just to try and fight him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:57 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I talked to my older bro. It wasn't roller hockey, it was a mens ice league. He used to destroy guys in fights and people would come to that league just to try and fight him.

I believe it. He's tougher than nails. I haven't heard if he's coming back yet. I hope so. If he does, I'll have some hockey to watch!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:32 am 

So Mike V never came back. But the Whalers are in the FHL finals! Too bad they're down 0-2 in a 5 game series. :x Might go to one of the 2 home games this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:38 pm 

Never mind. Gave up a goal to tie it with under 2:00 in regulation, then gave up the sweeping goal in OT. I was going to go tomorrow... :x

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:04 pm 

Glad I never got into supporting this team. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 54974.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:13 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

This is now the most prominent team left bearing the Whalers nickname.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:58 am 

saskhab wrote:
This is now the most prominent team left bearing the Whalers nickname.

I know they've gotten a few angry letters over the name, I would assume from non-hockey fan, Whale Wars types.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:22 pm 

They've now moved from Danbury, CT to Brewster, NY, and are called the Stateline Whalers.

No word on a change of logo/colors yet. The new arena is much smaller than Danbury (2200 down to 1000).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:35 am 

Chris18 wrote:
They've now moved from Danbury, CT to Brewster, NY, and are called the Stateline Whalers.

No word on a change of logo/colors yet. The new arena is much smaller than Danbury (2200 down to 1000).

They are now the Brewster Bulldogs, and there's a new team in Danbury called the Titans. If anyone cares... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:22 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

He is really cool. Would do anything for his friends. Sticks up for anyone. Basically, he's an old school skater. We skated together a few times. I didn't know him really well, but friends did/do. He really doesn't feel pain like a normal person. I consider myself pretty tough and tried lots of crazy things on a board. After a bad fall I would quit trying. He wouldn't. And he usually landed it within the first 3 tries anyway, unlike me. :?

Av- Danbury Trashers ceased to exist a few years ago. Owner/garbage disposal (capice?) company owner (hence the name) got busted for tax evasion, and having players on the garbage company payroll, which greatly circumvented the UHL salary cap issue. His son, the team president, also got suspended for kicking open the locked referee room door after a game & punching out one of the refs. Roman Ndur also hit a ref while playing for them. Needless to say, the league doesn't really feel sorry for them being gone.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... am/556853/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:45 pm 

Section 102 is still known as "the asshole section".