OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:43 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Chris18 wrote:
I'd love to see the league force the owner to reinstate the fired coaches, just to see how it would play out. :munch:

The league already did force the team to rehire the original coaching staff once, back in October.

Av-merican wrote:
In all seriousness, has the water crisis played any part in the team possibly moving? I imagine a sale at the very least will be underway shortly, since there's no way in hell Nilsen can continue as owner.

So far the water crisis has not really had an effect on team operations. The tainted water does not affect every part of Flint. It is spotty and contained in small enclaves throughout the city. The arena is not located in an affected area. This is all down to team management. Rolf Nilsen is either a complete loon and I have no idea who this unexplained, shady, newly hired director of operations / head coach, Sergei Kharin, is on about. I agree, Nilsen is toast. I hope the team being located in Flint is not.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:25 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

RW wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
I'd love to see the league force the owner to reinstate the fired coaches, just to see how it would play out. :munch:

The league already did force the team to rehire the original coaching staff once, back in October.

I was kidding, but I thought the owner voluntarily took them back after the players (including the owner's son) walked out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:04 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
RW wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I was kidding, but I thought the owner voluntarily took them back after the players (including the owner's son) walked out.

I wish that was the truth. But, no, the OHL Commissioner went to Flint back in October and made Nilsen rehire the coaching staff. Now he has suspended Nilsen and Kharin for the season, at a minimum. Now I'm wondering how this unstable tool got to buy one of the OHL's most stable, franchises, the Plymouth Whalers, from Peter Karmanos. It looks like the OHL sure fucked up the background check on this guy. BTW, I'm going to the game tomorrow night against London. Might as well get a chance to watch an OHL team in Flint while I can. I think I'll buy some gear too as it might be a minor collectable in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:28 pm 

TSN story and video on the Flint Firebirds debacle.

http://www.tsn.ca/how-the-flint-firebirds-unravelled-1.440435

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:07 am 

I attended the Saturday, February 20, 2016, between Flint Firebirds and London Knights. I wasn't a bad game to watch. London was obviously the better team and took the lead early and spent a lot of time in the Flint defensive zone. I will give the Flint kids credit. they played hard and did not give an inch, there was even a tussle that got both players ejected, despite all the turmoil going on around them. London ended up winning 4 - 0 but the game was really tighter than that. It was only 2 - 0 until midway through the 3rd period. Here's some photos from last night's game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:00 pm 

Nice pics.

New name should be the Flint Fire-EVERYONE!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:19 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I feel really bad for Hakan Nilssen. He's having to answer questions about this horrible situation while his old man has flown the coop.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:19 pm 
King of the One-Liner

http://new.ontariohockeyleague.com/arti ... -firebirds

forfeit a first round pick
250,000 fine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:35 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
http://new.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/statement-from-david-branch-ohl-commissioner-concerning-flint-firebirds

forfeit a first round pick
250,000 fine

Owner suspended 5 years too. Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:13 am 

That is one serious hit on Nilsen. It sounds like the OHL will be running the team for the next couple of years. The fine I understand, taking away Flint's 1st round pick only hurts the teams chance to get better. Short term I think they'll stay in Flint. Long term, it doesn't look so good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:27 am 

RW wrote:
That is one serious hit on Nilsen. It sounds like the OHL will be running the team for the next couple of years. The fine I understand, taking away Flint's 1st round pick only hurts the teams chance to get better. Short term I think they'll stay in Flint. Long term, it doesn't look so good.

Yeah, I agree that it makes the team not as good going forward to take away their 1st rounder. Major implications for a long time. And the draft is really soon right? So it's not like they can appeal or even have Nilsen sell and give back the 1st. What a clusterfuck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:18 am 
King of the One-Liner

The third pick is a harsh price but not a serious as what that pick would mean to an NHL club in the same situation as with issues with who will report where and imports the third is not likely to be the third best talent. As well with where Flint is in their cycle they should have a few first rounders as I know they where selling off based on the goalie swap they did with the Ice Dogs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:17 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It's too bad they can't just make him sell the damn team outright, but I guess if they do it won't be in Flint anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:42 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
It's too bad they can't just make him sell the damn team outright, but I guess if they do it won't be in Flint anymore.

Aye, there's the rub.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:13 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Thanks for Goalie Ned Flint. He has been fantastic in the Playoffs leading the Dogs to the OHL finals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:05 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Thanks for Goalie Ned Flint. He has been fantastic in the Playoffs leading the Dogs to the OHL finals.

I had to look that up. Flint having a goalie named Ned Flint would have been awesome :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:21 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

I had to look that up. Flint having a goalie named Ned Flint would have been awesome :lol:

Punctuation is for the weak. :viking: