OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:41 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

The move will occur this upcoming season. I am fairly excited about this news as Flint is only 20 minutes north of me and I'll be able to see, my favourite major junior team the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, more regularly plus any hot junior OHL prospects / top OHL teams that come to town. Peter Karmanos sold the team to Rolf Nilsen / IMS Hockey Corporation of Coral Gables, FL, who had recently purchase Perani Arena in Flint, MI.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/2015/01/14/plymouth-whalers-flint-ohl/21752877/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:18 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Congrats RW, I go to a few OHL games a season and find it a more pleasant and simple experience than going the see an NHL game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:34 am 

I really like OHL hockey. I have been going to 2 to 3 OHL games in Sault Ste Marie as my wife and I travel there frequently even in the winter. She doesn't like sports at all but I took her to a Greyhounds game a couple of years ago and she's hooked now. I also tried to catch 1 or 2 games in Saginaw which is an hour north the past year or two. Having a team in Flint is a real nice plus. One of my buddies is already excited about going too. I hope they can name the team the Generals as a nod to Flint minor pro teams of the past using that name, assuming no trademark issues are still around to prevent it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:12 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Call 'em the Stones.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:58 am 
King of the One-Liner

RW wrote:
I hope they can name the team the Generals as a nod to Flint minor pro teams of the past using that name, assuming no trademark issues are still around to prevent it.

Well Canadian sports leagues have certainly been known to be okay with more than one team having the same name. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:03 am 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:
I really like OHL hockey. I have been going to 2 to 3 OHL games in Sault Ste Marie as my wife and I travel there frequently even in the winter. She doesn't like sports at all but I took her to a Greyhounds game a couple of years ago and she's hooked now. I also tried to catch 1 or 2 games in Saginaw which is an hour north the past year or two. Having a team in Flint is a real nice plus. One of my buddies is already excited about going too. I hope they can name the team the Generals as a nod to Flint minor pro teams of the past using that name, assuming no trademark issues are still around to prevent it.

Oshawa Generals might not like it :x

That's really nice that it'll be so close to you, Skip.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:36 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

While I'm glad for you Skip, Karmanos has harpooned a 2nd Whalers team.

I know they're probably better off without him, but I just had to throw that line out there. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:29 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Call 'em the Stones.

Already been done with the last Michigan State University National Champion basketball team which featured a slew of Flint kids.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:29 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

How many people still work for GM in Flint, anyway? I mean, by 2019, Oshawa has no reason to use their corporate tribute of a name: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e21895602/

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:50 pm 

saskhab wrote:
How many people still work for GM in Flint, anyway? I mean, by 2019, Oshawa has no reason to use their corporate tribute of a name: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e21895602/

It's down to a little less than 4,500. There is only 1 series of interlocking plants on a single site left.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 am 
King of the One-Liner

https://twitter.com/FlintFirebirds

I will be calling them the Fire chickens when they come to Niagara.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:12 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:

https://twitter.com/FlintFirebirds

I will be calling them the Fire chickens when they come to Niagara.

Firebirds is an awesome team name, but feels inappropriate for Flint considering that GM no longer makes the car, and it was last made in Sainte-Thérèse, Quebec. Unless there is some history there that I don't know about.

Great name, awful logo. Shoulda just gone with this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:19 am 
King of the One-Liner

the team better grow Burt Reynolds stachs instead of playoff beards.