OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: World JR 2015
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:09 pm 
King of the One-Liner

or do you call it 2014? no matter.

Home ice in Ontario, McDavid ready to go, Canada looking stronger than in last few years, Leaf pick on Canada, and good TV start times. All in all TSN must be thrilled and really other than that what really matters.

Looking forward to watching on a big stage McDavid and Eichel due to skills and projections. As well the Leaf fan in me will be watching the highlight package for Nylander.

Suspect the slick hype machine TSN coverage will drive me nuts, I like my Jr coverage more rustic.

Post subject: Re: World JR 2015
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:51 pm 
Big in Japan

There are games happening in Montreal. I didn't buy tickets, nor do I plan to.

I like the Jr's, but for the longest time tickets could only be purchased as part of some bloated, overpriced package. You can buy singles now, but it's too late, I have other things I'd rather do these holidays.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:07 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

CAPTAIN EICHEL BE WHOOPIN' YO AZZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:01 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

E.L. wrote:
There are games happening in Montreal. I didn't buy tickets, nor do I plan to.

I like the Jr's, but for the longest time tickets could only be purchased as part of some bloated, overpriced package. You can buy singles now, but it's too late, I have other things I'd rather do these holidays.

It's the way they operate. Same complaints in Saskatoon, a much smaller market for the games and probably cost them hundreds to even thousands of seats.

Luckily for me, I ended up not buying any tickets early and ended up working the games in the final month rather than buying any tickets!

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:12 pm 
Big in Japan

Ha, I bought a ticket for tomorrow's USA/Finland matinee game for ten bucks on StubHub.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:57 pm 
Big in Japan

So everybody's talking about the lousy crowds at the Montreal games. Plenty of reasons for this:

1. Montreal is a Habs town more than a hockey town
2. The tickets are overpriced
3. There was very little on-the-ground advertising done in the months leading up to the tournament. The assumption was the tickets will sell themselves
4. There's a lot of competition for one's entertainment dollar this time of year
5. RDS doesn't sell the myth as hard as TSN
6. I saw a World Cup hockey game at the Bell Centre. Packed, playoff atmosphere. But those were pros. These are juniors.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:11 pm 

E.L. wrote:
So everybody's talking about the lousy crowds at the Montreal games. Plenty of reasons for this:

1. Montreal is a Habs town more than a hockey town
2. The tickets are overpriced
3. There was very little on-the-ground advertising done in the months leading up to the tournament. The assumption was the tickets will sell themselves
4. There's a lot of competition for one's entertainment dollar this time of year
5. RDS doesn't sell the myth as hard as TSN
6. I saw a World Cup hockey game at the Bell Centre. Packed, playoff atmosphere. But those were pros. These are juniors.

The other is obvious: you don't split an event like this between two very different markets. The IIHF did this with the Worlds in Quebec City and Halifax to some success but it stunk with Helsinki and Stockholm splitting the events. Calgary/Edmonton was a success but billed as an Alberta tournament.

And then they went and did this so they'd each get the tournament again in a couple years. Better bet would've been to have Toronto host it this time, then Montreal in two years. Put the 'B' games in secondary rinks like they usually do, even if they aren't that big in the Montreal area (did that Laval arena project ever get going?). Worked in Buffalo anyway.

Toronto could've had the secondary games in either Mississauga, Ricoh Centre, or even Hamilton if they went all out. Other OHL rinks nearby could've worked, even out in London. Why they're splitting it in the two biggest rinks in the country is beyond me, neither city feels like the host city.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:38 am 

Finland lost to Canada, but dropped a language controversy on Team Canada, so the damage is only just beginning.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:45 am 
King of the One-Liner

saskhab wrote:
Finland lost to Canada, but dropped a language controversy on Team Canada, so the damage is only just beginning.

Likely just that Groulx was not aware of the proper protocol. The real controversy comes when we see next game if he does french with interpreter or just does English himself, either way bunch of people will be offended. :lol: :munch:

Game wise what I have watched Canada seems balanced and in control. Though with the way Finland has played and not watching yesterdays game not sure Canada has seen much competition as of yet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:12 pm 
Master of 'Bait

I'm not sure if it's just homerism, but I've definitely felt like Jake has been noticeable on the ice.

But my favourite part of the tournament so far would have to be TSN's coverage of Papa Lazar's reactions to his son on the ice... I think it reminds you that they really are only kids just starting out.

Plus, it's just really adorable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:28 am 

DENMARK'S COMING FOR YOU, HOCKEY WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:33 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Poopy result for the USA - tuned into the last period of the USA/RUS game.

Booked some time to watch the CAN/DEN game later this afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:35 pm 

I didn't get to see the game, but it sure sounds like the Yanks just unraveled there in the first. Can't take that many penalties and expect to come out ahead.

Whatever...go Danes go!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:48 pm 
Big in Japan

I got free tickets in the reds to Czech Rep v Slovakia. Nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:01 pm 
Big in Japan

Partied in the Slovak section during the game. Good times.

Afterwards my friend and I retreated to Old Orchard to watch the Habs game. Once that game was over we walked a few blocks over and ran into a handful of players (not sure if they were Czech or Slovak) in the street with McD's and beverages. Enjoy Montreal, boys.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:19 am 

Canada looks to go perfect in the tournament and win their first title since 2009 tonight vs Russia. Sweden gets Slovakia in the bronze game.

Russia started a little off (taken to a shootout by Denmark) but have gradually emerged as a formidable foe. They have good goaltending, too, so we'll see how it goes for one game.

Slovakia is the little team that probably won't, Sweden rarely takes bronze medal games off. Too bad for the Slovaks they aren't playing Canada or USA in this game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:14 pm 

From the sounds of it, the Yanks went way too young, which sounds hilarious to me since, c'mon, it's the World Juniors! It's comforting at least that Butcher had a hell of a tourney and was named one of Team USA's best players. In the end, Eichel didn't have the impact everyone, including Team USA, thought he'd have, but it won't hurt his draft stock any.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:01 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
From the sounds of it, the Yanks went way too young, which sounds hilarious to me since, c'mon, it's the World Juniors! It's comforting at least that Butcher had a hell of a tourney and was named one of Team USA's best players. In the end, Eichel didn't have the impact everyone, including Team USA, thought he'd have, but it won't hurt his draft stock any.

How did Larkin look?

Haven't watched any of this tourney since its tsn and I don't have cable so no online access. Haven't bothered trying to find it elsewhere, but I might for the gold medal game.

Any reports on Hicketts?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:27 pm 

Quote:
Will Butcher, Hudson Fasching and Dylan Larkin were named the top players of the tournament for the United States

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/news_ ... _id=701370

Had 5 goals and 7 points in 5 games for Team USA, I'd say he had a very impressive showing.

But we all know he won't pan out for the Wings because he wasn't taken in the 5th round or lower.

No idea how Joe Hicketts is doing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:51 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Quote:
Will Butcher, Hudson Fasching and Dylan Larkin were named the top players of the tournament for the United States

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/news_ ... _id=701370

Had 5 goals and 7 points in 5 games for Team USA, I'd say he had a very impressive showing.

But we all know he won't pan out for the Wings because he wasn't taken in the 5th round or lower.

No idea how Joe Hicketts is doing.

Thanks for the info on Larkin. Short sample size with opposite goal-assist numbers to his 3-13-16 totals at UofM.

Won't pan out? Wings have plenty of guys drafted before that on their roster ;)

I know you mentioned something before about the Wings missing on first-rounders, but it wasn't accurate ;)