OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:17 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Not sure why the NHL failed to put the draft lottery on TV. Anyways really do not want any of the following to land McDavid: Edmonton, Toronto, LA, Boston.............rooting for Columbus, if any fans deserve him it would be theirs.

They went 12-0-1 in their last 13 once they got healthy. They don't need him.

But that's the problem. Their best players can't stay healthy. Especially their superstar young defenseman.

And I agree, those fans have been jobbed for far too long.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:00 pm 
OTP Historian

I also don't want San Jose and Philly to get him, either. Colorado too considering that they got 3rd overall in 09, 2nd overall and in 11 and 1st overall in 2013. Dallas? Yikes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:22 pm 

Bosc wrote:
I also don't want San Jose and Philly to get him, either. Colorado too considering that they got 3rd overall in 09, 2nd overall and in 11 and 1st overall in 2013. Dallas? Yikes.

I may be an idiot for saying this, but I don't want the Avs to get him either. If by chance they win the lottery tonight I won't cry foul, but chances are if Colorado gets McDavid they'll be inclined to deal Duchene, and I sure as hell don't want that to happen. And yes, they've had enough top picks. They're not the Oilers. At least...I hope not.

NHL Radio held a mock lottery and the Avs won. I wasn't entirely sure how to feel about it, but I wasn't exactly elated.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:08 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

If anyone below Toronto lands McDavid, they should almost be looking at booking playoff dates for the next year. We won't see McDavid in the playoffs if any of the bottom 4 land him, but their plans will be working in overtime.

We'll see what Colorado would do in that situation. Let's just say if that happens then I think we'll know for sure they'd have been better off drafting Jones than MacKinnon by how things have turned out.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:57 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:

I may be an idiot for saying this, but I don't want the Avs to get him either. If by chance they win the lottery tonight I won't cry foul, but chances are if Colorado gets McDavid they'll be inclined to deal Duchene, and I sure as hell don't want that to happen. And yes, they've had enough top picks. They're not the Oilers. At least...I hope not.

NHL Radio held a mock lottery and the Avs won. I wasn't entirely sure how to feel about it, but I wasn't exactly elated.

oh if you won McDavid I'm sure you could get over the loss of Duschene pretty quickly, especially if the result was the return of a good young dman.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:38 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
oh if you won McDavid I'm sure you could get over the loss of Duschene pretty quickly, especially if the result was the return of a good young dman.

I know, it'd kinda suck just on sentiment though.

The way Dutchy has carried himself has endeared him to the fans (especially in contrast to what's gone down with O'Reilly, which may or may not be fair, but that's how it is) and I'd rather just keep him around. He's a hell of a player, maybe not an elite talent but very, very good, and has worked his tail off to improve his game.

But even if the Avs draft McDavid, it's not a given that they'd trade Duchene since things with O'Reilly are still very much in the air.

I kinda want to see Toronto get him, even though I'd be extremely concerned about the poor kid being dropped into an absolutely batshit-crazy situation like that. You already see some of the idiocy that surrounds Crosby in Pittsburgh...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:20 pm 

In some ways I think keeping Duschene over Mackinnon makes sense. Mackinnon projects as the better player but not sure having two elite centers is all that great (lots of money tied up ala Pittsburgh) perhaps better to swap him for an elite defender and Duschene takes the two spot where he'll still be all-star caliber and will feast on 2nd line centers from most competing teams.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:32 pm 

:fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck:

Would actually vastly preferred Toronto over Edmonton. Well he's still stuck with Mactavish and Lowe so thats a pretty big ball and chain for him to pack around.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:12 pm 

He looked so let down.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:14 pm 

saskhab wrote:
He looked so let down.

lol, he did..............any chance he pulls a Lindros? We can hope! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:16 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
saskhab wrote:
He looked so let down.

lol, he did..............any chance he pulls a Lindros? We can hope! :D

The NHL needs better drama like that. Right now we get mad at Jumbo Joe for refusing to want to be traded things are so perverse.

Honestly, best point I saw made of this was that the Oil winning confirms that the lotto wasn't at all rigged.

The best solution, much like to the Senate problem in Canadian problems, remains to kill the whole thing entirely.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:40 pm 

Shit. I think I would've rather he gone to the Wylde than the Oilers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:03 pm 
Big in Japan

Lame

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:56 pm 

This also means the Coyotes are gonna pick another goddamn defenseman.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:09 pm 
OTP Historian

Fuck the NHL today. Fuck it to hell. A system where a team can draft 10-1-1-1-7-3-1 is absolute fucking lunacy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:23 pm 

Quote:
#Oilers are the first sports franchise to have the 1st overall pick in 4 out of 6 drafts since the Rochester/Cincinnati Royals (NBA) 1956-60

Even Daly had to be thinking "fucking hell" when he opened that envelope.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:22 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Quote:
#Oilers are the first sports franchise to have the 1st overall pick in 4 out of 6 drafts since the Rochester/Cincinnati Royals (NBA) 1956-60

This should have been changed after they had two first overalls in a row. It's so fucking stupid. Get a 1st overall pick? You're out of the top 5 for 3-5 years.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:29 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Quote:

This should have been changed after they had two first overalls in a row. It's so fucking stupid. Get a 1st overall pick? You're out of the top 5 for 3-5 years.

Is that more to stop tanking, create draft-class selective tanking years, or to protect teams that can't seem to develop young talent from themselves?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:56 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Quote:

Is that more to stop tanking, create draft-class selective tanking years, or to protect teams that can't seem to develop young talent from themselves?

Tanking will still happen in a weighted lottery system. There will still be bad teams that the best course for rebuilding will be to deal assets and hit rock bottom. However, if they continue to suck year in year out like Edmonton, it won't create a stupid fucking imblance of continuously high picks going to single teams. Bad teams already get a big advantage in the draft. Teams that are continually bad should not have a stupid advantage as some teams have had in the past. It can also prevent teams from tanking in specific drafts if they've already had high picks.

I wouldn't mind rolling restrictions on how high picks can be draft based on previous years. Teams shouldn't be rewarded for continuous sucking. Fucking draft and develop better. Build a better orginization.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:51 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I know. I thought I had put a :lol: at the end of my post. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next