OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:52 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Didn't even think of this until someone mentioned it on NHL Radio, the Sabres can't possibly use all the picks they've acquired in this draft, or at least they can't and actually SIGN all the picks since it'd require them going way over the contract limit. So then, what do ya do?

2 years to sign major juniors. You can delay having to sign European players, can't you? US juniors headed to university. Trade picks in subsequent drafts. There are ways to do it.

Yeah you got plenty of time w/NCAA players, of course they can stay long enough to Van Ryn their way to free agency, but that's another story. I forgot you had two years w/junior players, I thought you had only one. No idea on Euro picks.

I'm sure there's ways to do it, just curious how Murray will do it. I suppose you can parlay the picks into players, perhaps a cap casualty or two (HEY ROY, SEND STUART THEIR WAY), and like you said, trade picks now for picks later.

Van Ryn was a strange loophole where he became a free agent after spending one post-draft year at school then jumping to the W for a year. It was also part of the reason that Edmonton gave Mike Comrie his insane rookie contract, because he would have eventually became a free agent at the end of the season I think. They've closed that loophole since.

You're probably thinking of Blake Wheeler and now Mike Reilly. They spent a year in junior A and then 3 years at school and became free agents after not signing with their drafting team after their junior year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:03 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Didn't even think of this until someone mentioned it on NHL Radio, the Sabres can't possibly use all the picks they've acquired in this draft, or at least they can't and actually SIGN all the picks since it'd require them going way over the contract limit. So then, what do ya do?

2 years to sign major juniors. You can delay having to sign European players, can't you? US juniors headed to university. Trade picks in subsequent drafts. There are ways to do it.

Yeah you got plenty of time w/NCAA players, of course they can stay long enough to Van Ryn their way to free agency, but that's another story. I forgot you had two years w/junior players, I thought you had only one. No idea on Euro picks.

I'm sure there's ways to do it, just curious how Murray will do it. I suppose you can parlay the picks into players, perhaps a cap casualty or two (HEY ROY, SEND STUART THEIR WAY), and like you said, trade picks now for picks later.

Van Ryn was a strange loophole where he became a free agent after spending one post-draft year at school then jumping to the W for a year. It was also part of the reason that Edmonton gave Mike Comrie his insane rookie contract, because he would have eventually became a free agent at the end of the season I think. They've closed that loophole since.

You're probably thinking of Blake Wheeler and now Mike Reilly. They spent a year in junior A and then 3 years at school and became free agents after not signing with their drafting team after their junior year.

Well how did Justin Schultz do it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:30 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Well how did Justin Schultz do it?

Same as Wheeler and Reilly. After he was drafted, one year of junior and then 3 in College.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015/3/ ... ue-jackets

Quote:
Reilly is currently a junior at Minnesota, but because he spent a year playing junior hockey after being drafted by the Blue Jackets, he could potentially become an NHL free agent this summer.

The NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement states that if a team has had a player's rights for four years, and he is no longer enrolled in school, the team has 30 days to sign him to a contract or that player becomes an unrestricted free agent. Some call this a "loophole," which doesn't really make sense, since the NHL club has held the player's rights for four years, twice as long as they'd hold a CHL drafted player's rights.

If Reilly were to formally withdraw from school at the University of Minnesota, the Blue Jackets would then have 30 days or until June 1st, whichever comes later, to sign Reilly or he would become a free agent. This was the same rule used by Blake Wheeler, and perhaps most famously, Justin Schultz to become NHL free agents after their junior seasons of college hockey.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:35 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

The only reason it's a loophole is that, for some reason, teams hold rights for college guys after their senior year until Aug 15th. Which is just bizarre. Put the deadline in June with all the other guys, and if a team doesn't want to sign the guy let him talk to other teams.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9