OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:22 am 
Big in Japan

Hat-trick for MacKinnon and five assists for Drouin in the Mem Cup clincher tonight.

Jones has game (and scored a goal too), but Mac and JD are as close to sure-fire superstars as you'll find in a pair of 18-year-olds.

They are absurdly good.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:57 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

E.L. wrote:
Hat-trick for MacKinnon and five assists for Drouin in the Mem Cup clincher tonight.

Jones has game (and scored a goal too), but Mac and JD are as close to sure-fire superstars as you'll find in a pair of 18-year-olds.

They are absurdly good.

If I'm Dale Tallon, I'm trying to pull a Brian Burke and try and get 'em both.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:04 am 
Big in Japan

As much as I'd love to see it, when was the last time a GM successfully made a power move for a lottery pick?

Having MacKinnon, Drouin and Huberdeau? The Quebec snowbirds would never come back.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:37 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
As much as I'd love to see it, when was the last time a GM successfully made a power move for a lottery pick?

Having MacKinnon, Drouin and Huberdeau? The Quebec snowbirds would never come back.

Philly traded into a lottery pick twice in recent memory--snagging Pitkanen and Couturier, respectively. But having a lottery pick and then trading for another? Hmmm, apart for
Burke as Sask pointed out, I don't remember last time that happened.

Unless Tallon hands over Jakob Markstrom, I don't see it happening.

I still think Jones is the right pick for the Avs, even with the likely possibility that he isn't the best available player.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:43 am 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Av-merican wrote:
I still think Jones is the right pick for the Avs, even with the likely possibility that he isn't the best available player.

Then you trade down -- quite a plum opportunity, really.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:53 am 
OTP Historian

Jyrki21 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Then you trade down -- quite a plum opportunity, really.

Exactly what I was thinking. If you trade down planning on taking Jones and they end up taking him anyways, you still get one hell of a consolation prize plus whatever assets you got in the trade.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:11 pm 

Here's a piece I did on guys that could be on the Habs' radar, so basically who might be picked from 11 to like 50:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2013/ ... irst-round

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:08 pm 

Roy said at his press conference today that he wanted Sakic/Kroenke to consider trading the 1st overall pick. We'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Av-merican wrote:
Roy said at his press conference today that he wanted Sakic/Kroenke to consider trading the 1st overall pick. We'll see what happens.

He said it within the context of "any of the top three is fine by me."

Also, where was Sherman? I get that's his style, but clearly he's an island of shit in a sea of change at this point.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:19 am 

E.L. wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

He said it within the context of "any of the top three is fine by me."

Also, where was Sherman? I get that's his style, but clearly he's an island of shit in a sea of change at this point.

It really appears he is what he was under Francois Giguere, nothing more than a bean counter. He now answers to Kroenke, Sakic, Roy, and probably even Billington now. Wouldn't be surprised if he were phased out entirely or he quietly slips away to a different organization.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:43 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I haven't had to think about this in years: How does the draft seeding go for teams that made the playoffs but lost? I get Cup winners go 30th, Cup finals losers go 29th. I guess the team that lost to the Cup winners in the Conference Finals go 28th, team losing to the Cup Finals losers go 27th. Beyond that I'm pretty lost. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:54 am 

Chris18 wrote:
I haven't had to think about this in years: How does the draft seeding go for teams that made the playoffs but lost? I get Cup winners go 30th, Cup finals losers go 29th. I guess the team that lost to the Cup winners in the Conference Finals go 28th, team losing to the Cup Finals losers go 27th. Beyond that I'm pretty lost. :lol:

Didn't they get rid of the rule that has the playoffs affecting draft order?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:45 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Didn't they get rid of the rule that has the playoffs affecting draft order?

No idea. Said "I guess". ;) I was asking people who are used to this whole "playoffs" thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:13 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I was asking people who are used to this whole "playoffs" thing.

Ah, I see. Yeah...playoffs. A distant memory. :x

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:01 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
I was asking people who are used to this whole "playoffs" thing.

Ah, I see. Yeah...playoffs. A distant memory. :x

For the record, I wasn't addressing you specifically... :)

Believe me, I feel your non-playoff pain!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:54 pm 

Panthros want a player from the Draft who can play immediately.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id= ... l:topheads

Translation: Yes, we want MacKinnon.

Roy effectively opened the door for Tallon to call. Question now is, can he convince Dale to part with something decent in order to move up one spot?

Much as I'm starting to waffle between Jones and MacKinnon (comparisons to Crosby keep coming up) if MacKinnon really is THAT GOOD, he may actually save that franchise.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Panthros want a player from the Draft who can play immediately.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id= ... l:topheads

Translation: Yes, we want MacKinnon.

Roy effectively opened the door for Tallon to call. Question now is, can he convince Dale to part with something decent in order to move up one spot?

Much as I'm starting to waffle between Jones and MacKinnon (comparisons to Crosby keep coming up) if MacKinnon really is THAT GOOD, he may actually save that franchise.

I think your team needs a stud Dman more than a centre but then there is always a market for centres and I'm sure you could trade one. Just curious what you'd want to flip picks, would Florida's 2nd and 3rd round picks do it for you?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:19 pm 

30. Cup Winner
29. SC Finalist
28. Conference Finalist 1
27. Conference Finalist 2
26-15: based on regular season standings of teams out in R1 or R2.

Islanders pick 15th, they had the worst RS record of all playoff teams.

Montreal will pick 24th or 25th depending on who wins tonight. If Detroit wins, everyone that finished ahead of Detroit in the RS but is eliminated moves up a spot.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:31 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
I think your team needs a stud Dman more than a centre but then there is always a market for centres and I'm sure you could trade one. Just curious what you'd want to flip picks, would Florida's 2nd and 3rd round picks do it for you?

Yes, even though MacKinnon and Drouin would be upgrades to anything we currently have on the roster, the Avs' blueline was so bad last year, we simply can't go forward without a major upgrade, even if it's determined he can't play right away. I know others may say trading Duchene or O'Reilly would yield a very good blueliner in return, I still think it'd be a mistake to pass on Jones. The Hockey Gods are practically screaming at the Avs to take him.

Yeah, I think getting their 2nd would be more than fair since we'd only be dropping one spot.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:45 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Yes, even though MacKinnon and Drouin would be upgrades to anything we currently have on the roster, the Avs' blueline was so bad last year, we simply can't go forward without a major upgrade, even if it's determined he can't play right away. I know others may say trading Duchene or O'Reilly would yield a very good blueliner in return, I still think it'd be a mistake to pass on Jones. The Hockey Gods are practically screaming at the Avs to take him.

Yeah, I think getting their 2nd would be more than fair since we'd only be dropping one spot.

The hockey gods may or may not be screaming at the Avs, but they sure as hell are giving them a test.

Stupid god(s) with their tests.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next