OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The WJHC Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:12 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Della Rovere or whoever is an idiot and should've been kicked out of the game last year (lol, I meant night, but I guess I was right) for that blatant hit from behind.

I didn't get to see the game, but from what I've seen of the kid, Quinn should just remove him from the lineup entirely, rather than having him head to the sin bin every shift. He was brutal in the other games, no matter what fucking Maguire thinks of the international officiating.

Way to go, boys. Cut down the hot-dogging though, regardless of who started it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:48 pm 
OTP Historian

Holy crap, the Slovaks beat the US in the quarter-finals.

http://tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=26165 ... Story_main

Quote:
OTTAWA - Slovakia pulled off the first big upset of the world junior hockey championship with three first-period goals and 46 saves from Jaroslav Janus to defeat the United States 5-3 in the quarter-finals on Friday in Ottawa.

Adam Bezak, Tomas Tatar and Jozef Molnar scored in the opening period on only eight shots against porous American goaltender Thomas McCollum of the Guelph Storm.

Richard Panik got one in the third and Tatar clinched the win with an empty-net goal with 2:14 left to play for Slovakia, which had not beaten the U.S. in eight games at the tournament since 1998.

The surprising Slovaks will be underdogs again when they face Sweden in the semifinals on Saturday. Russia faces the Czech Republic in another quarter-final later Friday night.

The United States outshot Slovakia 49-19 overall and Janus, the 19-year-old Erie Otters goalie who wasn't selected in last June's NHL draft, made acrobatic saves to keep hold the lead against a relentless American attack.

The Americans, beaten 7-4 by Canada on Wednesday in their final round robin game, got power-play goals from defencemen Ian Cole and Jonathan Blum and a late goal from James van Riemsdyk with McCallum pulled for an extra attacker.

Bezak went end to end down the right side and beat McCollum with a shot from the top of the faceoff circle 11:05 into the game.

Less than a minute later, a tic-tac-toe play with Colin Wilson and Jordan Schroeder was capped by Cole sliding a puck under Janus on a power play.

But Richard Panik stole a puck in the U.S. zone and sent Tatar in to score on a backhand shot at 13:41 and Molnar scored after Cole's clearing attempt hit one of the referees and stayed in the zone.

The Slovaks were outshot 16-2 in the second frame, but Janus held the lead, making a blocker save on Eric Tangradi on a backhander from the doorstep 12 minutes in and robbing Tyler Johnson with a glove grab at the side of the net at 16:55.

Janus made two more saves before the puck trickled behind him and Blum poked it in 5:31 into the third.

The mostly pro-Slovakia crowd announced at 18,042 cheered as video review upheld Panik's goal at 11:38 after he blew past Cole and put a shot off the post that went in off a body in front.

McCollum was pulled with about 2:30 left in the game, but a turnover at centre ice gave Tatar his second of the game and fourth of the tournament.

Don't like what I've heard about McCollum in the tourney so far :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:22 am 
Big in Japan

The US usually tanks it after the Canada game.

I'm surprised about the Slovaks though, they put Finland in the relegation round as well. Pretty good considering most pundits believed Slovakia was dead in terms of development.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:47 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
The US usually tanks it after the Canada game.

I'm surprised about the Slovaks though, they put Finland in the relegation round as well. Pretty good considering most pundits believed Slovakia was dead in terms of development.

Even more amazing is that their best players are apparently the 17-year olds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:50 pm 
Big in Japan

Enjoying the Slovakia v. Svenska semi-final. Mikael Backlund and Magnus Paarjarvi (aka Half-Finn) have unbelievable speed and stick handling skills. They've been putting on a clinic in the second period (only one goal to show for it though, as the Slovak goalie Janus is good). Tatar for Slovakia has big-game speed too.

At least these two teams aren't a bunch of childish showboaters like Canada.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:21 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Awesome game between Russia & Canada. Had to go to a shootout where Canada came out victorious. I love that we won, but I still feel the shoot-out diminishs an epic battle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:23 pm 
OTP Clown

Agreed. I wanted more overslime.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:25 pm 
OTP Historian

Well that was a little tense.

Detroit and Canada both go down in their respective games only to force OT. Canada wins, Detroit to go.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:31 pm 
King of Men

excellent game......Canada rolls on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:22 am 
King of the One-Liner

That was some good entertainment.

I like the way that Subban plays, sure he had a bad ten minutes in the second period tonight but otherwise I thought he seemed to make things happen.

Shame he is already owned by the bad guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 am 
Big in Japan

That Russian player doesn't go for the empty net and gets the icing...those showbaoting Canadians are fighting the Slovaks for the Bronze. They got lucky.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:09 am 
King of the One-Liner

Is the Goalie having an off week or is this just an off year for Canadian junior Tenders?

If we don't get quality goaltending against Sweden we will get silver.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:30 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

E.L. wrote:
That Russian player doesn't go for the empty net and gets the icing...those showbaoting Canadians are fighting the Slovaks for the Bronze. They got lucky.

That Russian defenseman doesn't try and play goalie on a floating backhander from beyond the faceoff circle and lets the goalie handle it and it's game over in a much more real way than the empty net gaffe. The Russians panicked and Canada got lucky.

My reaction? I burst out laughing when Canada tied it up. Partly at my roommate's celebration, but mostly for what happened on the ice and just a :wtf: moment.

Tokarski sure ain't falling in line with the rest of recent Canadian goalies. Sucks that the one time we get a Sask goalie (and from a neighbouring town of where I played as a kid) he hasn't exactly exuded confidence.

I can't believe the Americans don't win this thing more often. Their regional programs are producing top notch talent, but the national program is failing to bring them together.

And this game proves that despite not having many NHL draftees anymore, the Russians still have a ton of talent coming up.

I think the Swedes should be able to win this thing, but who knows. This is the worst Canadian squad in years and they're in the final with a chance at making it 5 in a row.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:59 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Just got back from the Finland-Germany relegation game. After a 3-1 Finland victory, Germany will be getting relegated. Largely uneventful game apart from a pretty good performance by Timo Pielmeier, Germany's goalie (a Shawinigan Cataracte and SJ Shark draft pick in his day job), and a head-butting incident that got a German player ejected.

A number of clearly Canadian fans for each of the two teams, but the crowd was more partisan for Germany.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:10 am 
Big in Japan

Here's Bob McKenzie trying to defend that immobile gastropod netminder currently stinking it up between the pipes for the hometeam:

Delusional Hockey Canada sycophant wrote:
He's a guy that just sticks around, he's got a lot of fight in him, he's got a lot of battle in him and he's got an innate sense of - when the game is on the line - that he needs to make a save.

Thanks for the hockey platitudes, expert. I can't understand how he has made it this far with so little skill. The guy looks like no one has ever taught him how to properly play angles, or how to prevent cringe-inducing rebounds. When the game was on the line, Team Canada was taking it to the opponent in the offensive zone, while Tokarski only needed to keep his bulbous head up in case of an intentional icing. He made one big save on Colin Wilson in the USA game, but as anyone who has played goalie before can attest - if the play is up close like that, waiving your arms and legs around will yield some success. Tokarski has a painfully slow glove hand, and if Paarjarvi or Backlund get a chance they will expose this flaw.

Delusional Hockey Canada sycophant wrote:
Well, guess what? They won both of those games.

They won in spite of him, not because of him. I like how TSN is trying to suggest that Tokarski has a big game in him. I suppose I can't win by going against them because in theory anybody can come up with a big performance, but thus far he's done nothing to prove he's even a medicore Canadian junior goalie or that he'll ever get a whiff of the pros. It would be cruel to put Pickard in after riding the pine for so long (besides, if Tokarski was HC's first pick I can only imagine the quality of his substitute).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:57 am 
King of the One-Liner

Bah, if he's a big game goalie where was he Saturday?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:39 am 

The team also lacks the shutdown D pairing. Hickey and Teubert have been pretty mediocre and Aulie is horrendously slow. Team Canada has made good junior goalies but average prospects like Pogge and Glass look great before because of their D... this year, they don't have the D to make them better, and the D conversely doesn't have the goalie to do the same. Luck of the draw for Canadian 'tenders... last year they had to choose between Mason and Bernier. Too bad they couldn't have spread those two goalies over consecutive years rather than have both at once.

Team Canada has 8 D and only 3 of them have played to or above the standard set in previous tourneys, namely Subban, Myers, and Ellis. I can't believe how average Hickey has been. And Pietrangelo was in the NHL? All those D that have stuck at the NHL level as teenagers have killed their depth.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:34 am 
King of the One-Liner

saskhab wrote:
All those D that have stuck at the NHL level as teenagers have killed their depth.

Has any other team this tourney been hit as bad by players sticking with NHL clubs?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:00 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
saskhab wrote:
All those D that have stuck at the NHL level as teenagers have killed their depth.

Has any other team this tourney been hit as bad by players sticking with NHL clubs?

Historically, or just this tourney? This tourney, the answer is definitely no, Canada has been hit the worst. Denmark didn't get Boedker and Switzerland didn't get Sbisa which are huge losses for them, but those countries were in the weak Div. 1 tourney this year. Last year, the top 5 picks were all Canadians eligible to play in this year's tourney, but only Pietrangelo is there. #6 Filatov and #7 Wilson are there for their countries. Throw in #9 Josh Bailey not being released to play and that's 5 players from this year's draft, all top 10 picks, not playing (including 3 d-men). Throw in Turris, Sutter, and Gilles from last year's team as 2007 picks that could play and yeah, the team has been hit pretty hard. 9 players that could be there aren't (technically Sam Gagner could play as well).

LA let Oscar Moller play for Sweden, he being the only NHL player that is at the tourney
(plus Filatov who is an AHLer). Jakub Voracek could have played for the Czechs as well, which surely could have helped them finish higher. Of course, the Russians were missing a very skilled player as well for the most unfortunate of reasons. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:12 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
saskhab wrote:

Historically, or just this tourney? This tourney, the answer is definitely no, Canada has been hit the worst. Denmark didn't get Boedker and Switzerland didn't get Sbisa which are huge losses for them, but those countries were in the weak Div. 1 tourney this year. Last year, the top 5 picks were all Canadians eligible to play in this year's tourney, but only Pietrangelo is there. #6 Filatov and #7 Wilson are there for their countries. Throw in #9 Josh Bailey not being released to play and that's 5 players from this year's draft, all top 10 picks, not playing (including 3 d-men). Throw in Turris, Sutter, and Gilles from last year's team as 2007 picks that could play and yeah, the team has been hit pretty hard. 9 players that could be there aren't (technically Sam Gagner could play as well).

LA let Oscar Moller play for Sweden, he being the only NHL player that is at the tourney
(plus Filatov who is an AHLer). Jakub Voracek could have played for the Czechs as well, which surely could have helped them finish higher. Of course, the Russians were missing a very skilled player as well for the most unfortunate of reasons. :cry:

Who is the third Dman missing? Doughty, Schenn...Bogosian is American.

P.K. is supposed to be a risky player, and has made some great plays. Sometimes, though, he's left me wondering "Why the fuck did he even try that?". Not in the risky sense, but plays that look he's trying to be fancy for no other reason than looking fancy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next