OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:42 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Going to be a very hockey weekend. Attending the Canucks' visit to Ottawa on Saturday night, and then taking in my first CHL game on Sunday afternoon. (Second ever junior game of any stripe... attended a then-BCJHL game in 1991 in Bellingham, WA!)

It's a QMJHL game -- Gatineau Olympiques vs. Rouyn-Noranda Huskies. So if there are players on either roster than anyone's team has the rights to, I'm happy to keep a lookout for them.

Gatineau

Zafiris, Alex C
Lafontaine, Raphael C
Pageau, Jean-Gabriel RW
Gaudet, Tyler C
Régimbald, Rock LW
Burke, Taylor RW
Courtemanche, Samuel LW
Soumakis, Alexandros LW
Chapman, Adam C
Ouellet, Christian RW
Poirier, Emile LW
Conrad, Jacob LW
Morrison, Kyle LW
Hyka, Tomas RW

Gagnon, Mathieu D
Janosik, Adam D
MacDonald, Alex D
Evans-Renaud, Zachary D
Hutchinson, Cole D
Castonguay, Richard D
Weckworth, David D
Herrett, Wes D

Clarke, Chris G
Lacerte, François G

Rouyn-Noranda

Dea, Jean-Sébastien RW
Bégin, Marc-Alain C
Mercier, Steven C
Power, Marcus C
St-Cyr, Maxime C
Angelopolous, Peter LW
Lemay, Mathieu RW
Verret, Anthony C
Quevillon, Antoine LW
Houde, Jason LW
Kamaev, Denis RW
Andrighetto, Sven RW
DeFulviis, Robbie C
Janneteau, Jérémi C

Desmarais, Simon D
Bernier, Alexis D
Fournier, Dillon D
Guénette, Justin D
Leclerc, Alexandre D
Bois, Redgie D
Brisebois, Mathieu D

Noonan, Jeffrey G
Gusse, Robin G

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:38 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Your first major junior game? Holy crap!

Uh, Pageau should've gotten invited to Team Canada camp, but didn't because he's not only small but French (he is having a bigger year than both Gallagher and Thomas, the two small WHL and OHL guys they brought to camp). Pageau is a local hero, as he's a Sens prospect, and was by far the highest scoring forward not invited by Hockey Canada.

Adam Janosik is the only other NHL drafted player on either team there, he's a Tampa prospect. Rouyn-Noranda has no drafted players on their team at all.

Possible 2012 draft picks include Dennis Kamaev and Dillon Fournier on R-N, and midget Alexandros Soumakis for Gatineau.

Other players of note: Robin Gusse, the R-N goalie, is actual a French national and was at Habs training camp... he should be off to compete for France for their low level U20 tournament by week's end. Sven Andrighetto (R-N) should be on the Swiss U20 team, while Janosik should be on the Slovak U20 team.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:49 pm 

saskhab wrote:

In addition to not particularly caring about junior hockey, I didn't really have an opportunity growing up, as the Giants didn't exist yet -- closest teams were Seattle and Victoria before they moved. Had no easy way to get to the Montreal suburbs in undergrad, even if I wanted to see, like, a Laval or Granby game. I used to live on the same block as the St. Mike's Majors' arena in Toronto but never went, which was a shame. But here we are, with two leagues to choose from in the Ottawa area.

saskhab wrote:
Adam Janosik is the only other NHL drafted player on either team there, he's a Tampa prospect. Rouyn-Noranda has no drafted players on their team at all.

Looking casually I didn't see many draftees... do these teams suck, or are they just really young?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:57 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Ruin-Naruta, oh whatever the hell they're called, the Huskies, are the ones who recently went all-black with their uniforms, right?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:01 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Jyrki21 wrote:
saskhab wrote:

Looking casually I didn't see many draftees... do these teams suck, or are they just really young?

Rouyn-Noranda are second worst in the league. Of course, in this year's QMJHL, that means they'll still make the playoffs. But they are quite young... 5 of their D are 17 or younger.

Gatineau is pretty average. The Q just doesn't have as many draft picks as the other leagues, and junior hockey is quite a disparate system, what with Saint John having like half their team be draft picks and what not.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:53 pm 

So Gatineau won this 3-2. A pretty entertaining affair, though I spent a good part of it walking around the concourse with baby, because she's not exactly going to sit and watch a hockey game for 2.5 hours (it went fast).

The Gatineau fans are pretty boisterous (to their credit they still chant "Go Hull go!", name change be damned), and it did get very loud after they scored, leading me to try to cover my daughter's ears. The volume of the PA system was about six times louder than necessary, too, but there's a good atmosphere for an arena that only seats about 3200 people.

J-G Pageau is injured, so Janosik was the only NHL-drafted player playing. He looked very solid, but nothing especially fancy. Gatineau looked very much the better team. The shot clock favored Rouyn-Noranda throughout, and I'm convinced they had the totals reversed, because that wasn't the game I saw. (Unless all Husky shots came when I was, as mentioned, doing other things).

The Huskies' goalie was this guy: Alexandre Bélanger... it appears it was only his second QMJHL game, but I thought he looked damn good. Gatineau got 3 goals by him, but all on very good chances, and he made a number of very sharp saves.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:57 pm 
OTP Historian

Jyrki21 wrote:
saskhab wrote:

I used to live on the same block as the St. Mike's Majors' arena in Toronto but never went, which was a shame.

You could walk by that arena without seeing it, too. What did it seat? 2000?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:01 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:
saskhab wrote:

I used to live on the same block as the St. Mike's Majors' arena in Toronto but never went, which was a shame.

Apparently only 1600, wow. I used the little pay parking lot next to it a couple times when I had a rental car, but that was about it. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:28 am 
OTP Historian

Jyrki21 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:
saskhab wrote:

Apparently only 1600, wow. I used the little pay parking lot next to it a couple times when I had a rental car, but that was about it. :lol:

Yeah, I used that little lot a bunch of times too. I was actually in there for a school and alumni game once. My brother was playing with some of the guys he works with who used to play for St Mikes College.