OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2020 Draft HYPE Thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:32 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Got to see Jack Hughes and the rest of the USNTDP U18 team play the Lincoln Stars tonight. Amazingly enough, Team USA absolutely STOMPED the Stars, who have already pulled the plug on their season, but somehow Lincoln managed to tie it up at 5 and then win in the shootout. Wife convinced me to leave while they were two down with less than three to go, so I missed the comeback. :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck:

Well, Jack Hughes was, no surprise, far and away the best player on the ice tonight. It wasn't even close. Even when he was just cruising around at half-speed he looked faster than everyone else, and when he turned it up a few notches to get separation, he was gone. I can see why some are comparing him to Patrick Kane, he plays a very similar game. He doesn't have a rifle of a shot but still ended up with 2 goals and an assist on the night.

An impressive array of talent. Apart from Hughes, there was Alex Turcotte, Trevor Zegras, Matthew Boldy, and Cole Caufield, at least a couple of whom could also follow join Hughes in the first round of the draft. Another possible 1st rounder, goalie Spencer Knight, didn't play. Caufield was probably the most impressive beyond Hughes.

Going back to see the same teams square off tomorrow night, but this time the wife opted out of the festivities.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:37 pm 

Why in God's name did I call this the 2020 draft thread!? :lol:

Oh well, can't be too soon to talk about Alexis Lafreniere, right?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:34 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Why in God's name did I call this the 2020 draft thread!? :lol:

Oh well, can't be too soon to talk about Alexis Lafreniere, right?

You thought the next lockout would come early?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:43 am 

Lottery tonight, with rules I'm not even going to try and understand. All of this feels so very strange.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:37 pm 
OTP Historian

OTP call? Bosc celebrates? Descends into madness? Drinks strong beer either way?

Looking forward to the scenario where a pick gets won by the play-ins, then the season doesn't happen and the NHL has to figure that shit out. If multiple picks get won by the play-ins?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:38 pm 
Big in Japan

An unlikely result at the lottery. A team currently eligible for the playoffs will draft Lafreniere.

1. Team A - TBD
2. Los Angeles Kings
3. Ottawa Senators (via SJ)
4. Detroit Red Wings
5. Ottawa Senators
6. Anaheim Ducks
7. New Jersey Devils
8. Buffalo Sabres

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:44 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Completely predictable. Detroit ends up with the 4th pick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:59 pm 
Big in Japan

RW wrote:

They'll get a great player but miss out on the clear top 3. Drysdale could be a solid blueliner in Detroit. Rossi if they want offence? One of the Swedes would be a very Detroit move.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Who's got the best odds for #1

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/stat ... 61408?s=09

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:06 am 

RW wrote:

Sorry, no sympathy from this fan over here. :lol:

I still have no earthly idea what the lottery rules are.

If the fucking Blackhawks end up with 1st overall...FFS.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:58 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
RW wrote:

One of the 8 teams bounced in the "Qualifying Round" will get the top pick. Same for #2. I don't know if that's cool or not. On the one hand, they got bounced and didn't make the "actual" playoffs. On the other hand, they had the chance to play for the Cup. Could be someone who goes all 5 games vs the eventual Cup winner, maybe losing by 3 OT goals, could get the top pick? That's pretty fucking stupid. So there's a chance a team like the Bruins could lose 3 games in OT on fluke goals, while winning their other 2 games by 5 each, and they could get the top pick? Stupid. Hopefully nothing like that happens, but it's the NHL, so bet on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:18 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Pokecheque wrote:
RW wrote:

I'm not asking for sympathy. I just think that the lottery should only include the 7 teams who were the worst in the standings not, playoff-calibre teams that had a bit of misfortune. I will be really pissed if Pittsburgh, Chicago or Toronto get the #1 pick.

I am personally hoping that the Red Wings pick the Russian goalie Askarov. Maybe they can trade the #4 pick to move down to #7 through #11 and add another lower round pick while still getting Askarov. If we're going to suck next year lets start building from the back out. The Red Wings have no real top goaltending prospects in the minors.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:32 pm 
Big in Japan

I'm surprised Askarov hasn't made too many top tens, because I'm pretty sure one goalie starved team will take the plunge after the top 3 goes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:16 pm 

RW wrote:
I'm not asking for sympathy. I just think that the lottery should only include the 7 teams who were the worst in the standings not, playoff-calibre teams that had a bit of misfortune. I will be really pissed if Pittsburgh, Chicago or Toronto get the #1 pick.

I am personally hoping that the Red Wings pick the Russian goalie Askarov. Maybe they can trade the #4 pick to move down to #7 through #11 and add another lower round pick while still getting Askarov. If we're going to suck next year lets start building from the back out. The Red Wings have no real top goaltending prospects in the minors.

I know you weren't, but take it from the fan of a team that had two shots at 1st overall and tumbled to 4th both times--sometimes it's a blessing in disguise. One could argue the Avs got the best player of the 2017 class (I think Pettersson will be that when all is said and done, but still, there's an argument), and maybe they'll say the same thing about Bowen Byram as well. Maybe the Wings luck out there too.

I'm beginning to side with the folks who just want to abolish the draft entirely.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:39 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I'm surprised Askarov hasn't made too many top tens, because I'm pretty sure one goalie starved team will take the plunge after the top 3 goes.

I think that'd be a mistake. And that's nothing against Askarov, but trying to build around a goalie almost never pays off. The Devils did it, but they of course had a generational talent who stayed at the top of his game for almost the entirety of his career. Montreal is a prime example of why you don't do it. Price was hands-down the best goalie in the league when he was in his prime, but injuries have largely reduced him to a shell of his former self. The Wings have bigger needs, especially if Zadina doesn't pan out as hoped.

Most mock drafts I've seen have a top three of Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzle in various combinations, which allows the Red Wings the option of getting the top defenseman in this draft, or taking a top forward. Jamie Drysdale seems like the smart pick, but there's also Cole Perfetti, Marco Rossi, and Lucas Raymond, all with the potential to be elite forwards in the NHL.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:39 am 
OTP Historian

:fffffuck:

50/50 chance and they got the 4th pick.

Detroit's moved down 8 spots in the past 4 drafts. Great for a rebuilding squad. Meanwhile, Edmonton got 4 1st overalls and we've seen better teams jump into the top-3 and #1. Fantastic.

People say Detroit fans can't complain because of the Cups we've had. I guess we aren't allowed to want what's best for our favourite team.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:58 am 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I think that'd be a mistake. And that's nothing against Askarov, but trying to build around a goalie almost never pays off. The Devils did it, but they of course had a generational talent who stayed at the top of his game for almost the entirety of his career. Montreal is a prime example of why you don't do it. Price was hands-down the best goalie in the league when he was in his prime, but injuries have largely reduced him to a shell of his former self.

I'm not asking a team to pay Askarov 10.5M. Price was an amazing pick for the Habs and unquestionably the third best player in that draft after Sid and Anze.

After the elite three there's a dip. After the top 8 or so there's diddly squat. If a team outside the top 3 thinks Askarov is a number one goalie, they should pounce.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:02 pm 

Bosc wrote:
People say Detroit fans can't complain because of the Cups we've had. I guess we aren't allowed to want what's best for our favourite team.

I'll never understand that logic. No matter how many championships your team has, you want more. Duh. That's like "you make 'enough' money. Don't hope for a raise." or "You got laid last weekend, don't get greedy." There are some things in life one can't get enough of... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Considering our age of parity and given their historic awfulness, the 19-20 Detroit Red Wings ought to go down as one of the worst teams to ever suit up.

Putting up 39 points in a salary cap league is as bad as the 70s Caps.

They deserved a bone after that face plant. Marco Rossi or Jamie Drysdale ain't gonna cut it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 pm 
Big in Japan

And while I'm on the topic of throwing bones, I'm trying not to get ahead of myself with the league giving the frozen envelope to the Habs. Conspiracy theorists are out there!