OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2022 Prolympics
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:20 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
The US WJC jerseys are awesome. Why can't the prolympic crew do something like that? Why do they always try to push the envelope to stupidity?

Yep, those 1960 era uniforms are goddamned beautiful. Easily the best uniforms in the tournament.

Again, they just keep trying to get cute in all the worst ways with these stupid international jerseys. Totally wrong way to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:15 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
The US WJC jerseys are awesome. Why can't the prolympic crew do something like that? Why do they always try to push the envelope to stupidity?

Yep, those 1960 era uniforms are goddamned beautiful. Easily the best uniforms in the tournament.

Again, they just keep trying to get cute in all the worst ways with these stupid international jerseys. Totally wrong way to do it.

Yep. Simplicity is often beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:46 pm 

Team USA appoints Vanbiesbrouck as the GM now that the pros aren't going.

So, to recap, they started with a guy who covered for a serial sexual predator, they moved onto a guy who covered for a serial rapist, and now they settled for a guy who once called a 15-year-old the N-word.

That's...pretty emblematic of America if we're being honest.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:20 pm 
King of Men

We should probably also add the part where the NHL took full advantage of the COVID to cancel their Olympic participation. Couldn't have worked out any better for the boys holding the leash......that's also America!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:49 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
We should probably also add the part where the NHL took full advantage of the COVID to cancel their Olympic participation. Couldn't have worked out any better for the boys holding the leash......that's also America!

Brad Marchand not happy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:51 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:

Brad Marchand not happy.

Neither is Conor. He wants a tournament! Crazy, it will be 8 years without participation. And no world cup in 5 (no schedule until 2024). Some of these guys value international play and some might go their whole career or prime without it now. But I guess that's life in the CBA.

Quote:
"We do have to find a way to get a best-on-best tournament at some point here. We can't go six, seven, eight years without playing best-on-best," he said. NHL players haven’t played at the Olympics since 2014 when Canada won the gold medal.

"You want to play at the Olympics. For me, it's the biggest stage in sport. Every league in sport does a version of the World Cup. The Olympics is a stage that's such a global scale. I think everybody wants to play on that stage. The World Cup would still be a great second option," the 24-year-old McDavid added, with an air of desperation in his voice. "We just want to see best-on-best. That's what everyone wants."

I guess there is still the IIHF World Championship but that happens during Stanley Cup Playoffs.

https://theathletic.com/news/oilers-con ... zlmPA1RoY/

:lol: I hadn't read what Marchand said. Looks like we could have a beer together! :beer:

Quote:
"I know at the end of the day, (the league doesn't) care about the Olympics, they don't make money on it, and that's ultimately what this is," Marchand, 33, added. "It's a business and we're an asset. Let's just call a spade a spade."

Clearly these brothers aren't too concerned about the Covid!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:40 pm 

I think in the end the NHL does make money on the prolympics. Almost nobody I know besides hockey players/parents had any clue who TJ Oshie was before he stole the show in the shootout vs Russia (that was vs Russia, right?). Afterwards, everyone knew him and people became fans of him specifically. It's not a direct line to the owners' bottom line, but if they have great players on their team, they'll benefit from prolympic exposure. If you've got a bunch of stiffs, then you won't. So get better players if the league is going to keep participating.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:02 pm 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
I guess there is still the IIHF World Championship but that happens during Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Well barring injury McDavid could attend any World Championships that he wants to :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:04 pm 

Bosc wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:

Well barring injury McDavid could attend any World Championships that he wants to :P

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:03 pm 
Big in Japan

Claude Julien fell and broke his ribs during a training session and now he won't get to coach Team Canada at the Olympics. Really sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:19 pm 

I think China wins coolest goalie pads!

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=486275842864558&set=a.268365417988936

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:38 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

Those are awesome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:31 am 

First day women's results-

Czechs beat China 3-1 (shame so many pucks passed those awesome pads)
Japan beat Sweden! 3-1
Canadians just manage to hang on to a nail biter over the Swiss- 12-1.
US beat Finland 5-2.

Feb 8th is Canada vs US in opening round.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:11 am 

In the most (only?) important women's game so far, undefeated Canada beats previously undefeated US, 4-2 in the final preliminary game for each.

Quarter Finals start on the 11th. Game times are either 11:10 PM or 6:10 AM in the east. That sucks donkey.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:23 pm 

Stat-wise, the Americans outplayed the Canadians, but Canada had the better goaltender and USA made some pretty egregious mistakes leading to goals.

I thought it was kinda shit that MPP got a penalty shot awarded even though she obviously got a decent shot off on the breakaway, but whatever, don't give up a shorthanded chance like that.

Which brings up the point that the American power play was pure shit. The talent on Team USA is obvious, but I really don't like the coaching so far.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:21 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Stat-wise, the Americans outplayed the Canadians, but Canada had the better goaltender and USA made some pretty egregious mistakes leading to goals.

I thought it was kinda shit that MPP got a penalty shot awarded even though she obviously got a decent shot off on the breakaway, but whatever, don't give up a shorthanded chance like that.

Which brings up the point that the American power play was pure shit. The talent on Team USA is obvious, but I really don't like the coaching so far.

I didn't see the game. Too late for me after an exhausting tournament weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:04 am 

The women are into quarterfinals and the men haven't started yet. Is that normal? Due to scheduling so many teams? I don't think I remember that happening before.

Unrelated to that, it's a shame Charles Wang didn't live to see olympic hockey in China. He did a lot to bring the game to China.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:28 am 

Totally shocking- women's finals is the US vs Canada. :aaaaa:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Canada and US men knocked out. Canada picked a boring defensive team and lost (Oh Canada...) while the US went younger.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:38 am 
OTP Historian

Marie-Philip Poulin with another 2 goals in a gold medal game, along with the game winner. Legend.

Desbiens was fantastic. Just never seemed to get rattled by anything. Composed. The shoulder save she made in the 3rd where she pushed out to challenge was massive.