All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

2 hours til puck drop of the Canadian and US women. GO USA! :siren:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:41 am 

Hell of a game between the US & Canadian women. Had its controversial calls, but a great, entertaining game.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:12 am 
King of Men

Renee Bourque the hero! Wolski has an ENG!

This is great! I love seeing these guys....maybe it levels the playing field.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:58 am 
King of Men

oh damn...Wolski with 2 goals. Derek Roy with 3 assists!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:57 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fuck off, Wolski.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:43 pm 

In the shock of the Century- it'll be US vs Canada in the women's gold medal game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:36 am 
King of Men

Go Germany.......a stunner over the Swedes! Czech Republic eliminates the USA. CAN eliminates FIN and OAR dispatches Norwegians hopped up on asthma medication.

So left standing we have OAR, CAN, CZE and GER. Have to hitch my wagon to the Germans on this one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:23 pm 

I took a nap so I can stay up for the women's gold medal game. :lol: I must really be getting old.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:31 pm 

So far my favorite moments (in no particular order):

1. Savchenko and Massot winning pairs gold (Savchenko's fifth!!! Olympics).

2. Adam Rippon just being Adam Rippon.

3. Jessie Diggins winning the first X-country skiing gold in US history, and in dramatic fashion to boot.

4. Lindsey Vonn winning bronze in what is likely her final Olympic appearance, while the woman who idolized her growing up winning (I believe) Italy's first women's downhill gold.

5. Anything and everything to do with Tessa and Scott. International treasures, those two.

My least favorite moments:

1. Anybody and everybody focusing on the American woman who somehow snuck onto women's ski halfpipe representing Hungary and half-assing it the whole way when there were actual competitors competing. I swear I still have no idea where Roz Groenewoud placed in the final, any Google search pulls up 800+ stories on this fucking idiot and the media swarm she created.

2. The US Men's hockey team putting forth an outright terrible performance (worse than Nagano IMO) and Tony friggin' Granato making an ass out of himself to boot by accusing the OAR team of running up the score (uh, Tony, you're supposed to in the qualifying rounds if you can).

3. Any search of women's downhill pulling up Bode Miller's asinine comment about Anna Veith and the 800+ stories about that. And we wonder why we have a bronzed-up, racist reality show-clown in the White House.

I'm not overly invested in medal counts, but this has to be one of the worst showings by the USA in quite some time. Whatever, I find it more interesting when we get to learn about athletes and stories we otherwise wouldn't know about in these Games.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:56 am 

I was expecting a faster overall pace in the women's gold medal game, but overall the game was awesome. I thought the US was dead in the final minutes of OT when they took a penalty but they pulled it out in an extra shootout round. Great to see them smiling for once. I'm sure Canadians are especially pissed the Lamoureax twins played such a huge role in the win but you have to admit those were amazing goals. And this 20 year old goalie, holy shit she's got nerves of steel.
:siren:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:11 am 
OTP Clown

Great game.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:11 pm 

Canada did a great job in regulation keeping shots to the outside, the US simply couldn't get anything going offensively, even after getting a slew of power plays (yes, Scott Moir, I thought that one call was a bit iffy too). But once OT started it blew wide open and I felt like the US flat-out dominated, and Canada looked completely gassed. If they had just kept doing OT like they should have I'm reasonably confident the Americans would've won, but I can't say that with a ton of certainty since, y'know, Marie-Philip Poulin.

One thing about the women's game that drives me nuts though...the refs need to do a better job of getting the hell out of the way. Given how much ice was out there you'd think they'd be able to do so.

Hate that it ended in a shootout (even though that Lamoureux Britney-inspired dangle was siiiiick) but I'm thrilled the American women did after 20 years what the American men simply haven't been able to do for a good, long time--bring home the gold.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:27 pm 
Big in Japan

They should play a best-of-7 every year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:02 am 
King of Men

Who else is up to watch this Canada Vs Germany Game with a pot of Timmy's????

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:31 am 

E.L. wrote:
They should play a best-of-7 every year.

My god. They'd kill each other! After Poulin's hit on Decker, could you imagine 3-6 more games? I mean, I'm all for it! The 2022 pools:

Group B (for Bronze): All teams play each other once and then compete for the bronze medal in a single elimination tournament beginning with 1v6, 2v5 and 3v4.
Banned dopers from Russia
Swiss
Finland
Sweden
Japan
Cobbled together host country

Group A (For Gold): 7 game gold series!
Canada
USA

Done.

Pokecheque wrote:
Canada did a great job in regulation keeping shots to the outside, the US simply couldn't get anything going offensively, even after getting a slew of power plays (yes, Scott Moir, I thought that one call was a bit iffy too). But once OT started it blew wide open and I felt like the US flat-out dominated, and Canada looked completely gassed. If they had just kept doing OT like they should have I'm reasonably confident the Americans would've won, but I can't say that with a ton of certainty since, y'know, Marie-Philip Poulin.

One thing about the women's game that drives me nuts though...the refs need to do a better job of getting the hell out of the way. Given how much ice was out there you'd think they'd be able to do so.

Hate that it ended in a shootout (even though that Lamoureux Britney-inspired dangle was siiiiick) but I'm thrilled the American women did after 20 years what the American men simply haven't been able to do for a good, long time--bring home the gold.

The US game was all about speed and when they couldn't beat the Canadians to the outside they had no shot, other than Hillary Knight. I hate shootouts too, but have to admit that one was amazing, and not just because the US won. And yes, the officiating was horrible, and both teams benefited or got hosed alternately. I've seen Canadians saying the refs wanted the US to win, and Americans yelling about the Poulin hit on Decker going unpenalized, when she probably should have been tossed. And yeah, they were constantly in the way! Ridiculous. It's like they find officials who never played and have no idea where the puck is likely to go. Or maybe they were recently players and are going to the open space to get it. :lol:

The US Men- it will be at least 42 years between gold medals, and probably a hell of a lot longer. We've gotten a lot better at hockey, but not good enough. I was hoping they'd recapture some Miracle aura by having some college kids, but that obviously didn't happen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:46 am 
King of Men

Go Germany! Seriously....usually no other teams have a shot at this. So you can't help but root for Germany in this case. The Russians have this wrapped up anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:06 am 
King of Men

F'n a right 2-0 Germany!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:18 am 
King of Men

Canada starts the comeback on the PP Gilbert Brule.....3-1 Fatherland!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:26 am 
King of Men

Refs all over this one. Germany Hauger on the PP 4-1. Marco Sturm the darling! Canada unravelling and marching to the box! Brule gets tossed out for leaving his feet and his mind!

A fine early morning tilt! :rock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:42 am 
King of Men

oh geez young German players laughing and smiling at the old Canadians as the period ends. I don't think I'd go that far but whatever I suppose you have to get your licks in while you can. 4-1 for Germany after 2.