OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:43 pm 
Big in Japan

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-will-not-p ... -288385598

Of course, that might not stop a few players, such as Alex Ovechkin, from going anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:02 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-will-not-participate-in-2018-winter-olympics/c-288385598

Of course, that might not stop a few players, such as Alex Ovechkin, from going anyway.

Think NHL will suspend those guys, even if their individual owners support the player's decision? That'll be a shitstorm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:57 pm 
Big in Japan

Gary's petty enough to do just about anything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:07 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Using the Olympics as a CBA negotiation tactic was completely ridiculous. I'm almost rooting for another lockout at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:54 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Ovechkin says he's going to the Olympics regardless of the NHL's decision and owner Ted Leonsis backs him. However the Vice President of Russian Hockey says he can't legally do that unless he terminates his contract with the Capitals.

In reality Leonsis and Ovechkin can think whatever they want but if Ovechkin terminates his contract with the Capitals, then that would be the end of him playing NHL hockey.

Maybe that's what he wants, but he should have probably measured his response today in light of the aforementioned fact.

And yes it is a disgrace what the NHL are doing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:17 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I'm not up on the potential long term impacts, but you all know I've hated the Prolympics, so in a vacuum, I'm glad to hear this. If it turns out to be the thread that gets pulled leading to another lockout, then it sucks dog balls. But at this moment, I'm happy. I reserve the right to be pissed off later though. I'm at my best when I'm pissed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:37 am 
OTP Historian

I don't think there is any way a player can decide to just terminate his contract, unless it's mutual with the team or he retires. If he retires, he can't come back for a year or few.

E.L. wrote:
Gary's petty enough to do just about anything.

Gary would be and so would the owners who back him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:31 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Bosc wrote:
I don't think there is any way a player can decide to just terminate his contract, unless it's mutual with the team or he retires. If he retires, he can't come back for a year or few
Kovalchuck did it. My point is that doing that would come at a big cost and be a very messy situation with many moving parts including the Russian Ice Hockey Federation. Maybe he wants to just play in the K after the Olympics - you know how they love the K.

Also for the record, the NHL hasn't released the NHL schedule or announced the All Star Game location for next year yet.....hmmmm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:59 pm 
OTP Historian

Logical Progression wrote:
Bosc wrote:
I don't think there is any way a player can decide to just terminate his contract, unless it's mutual with the team or he retires. If he retires, he can't come back for a year or few
Kovalchuck did it. My point is that doing that would come at a big cost and be a very messy situation with many moving parts including the Russian Ice Hockey Federation. Maybe he wants to just play in the K after the Olympics - you know how they love the K.

Also for the record, the NHL hasn't released the NHL schedule or announced the All Star Game location for next year yet.....hmmmm

Kovalchuk did it by retiring and the Devils agreed to it. Mutual decision.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/7/15/4 ... nhl-return

Quote:
He ultimately returned to the NHL in time for the start of the 2013 season, but apparently spoke on several occasions with New Jersey manager Lou Lamoriello about his desire to return home. Lamoriello and the Devils seemingly respected this desire and allowed Kovalchuk's contract to be terminated through retirement. Had the club not agreed with the decision, they could have tolled his contract from season-to-season to ensure that Kovalchuk could never play professional hockey again. Due to the memorandum of understanding between the KHL and NHL, Kovalchuk would not have been permitted to play in Russia while signed to a deal in North America. By allowing the player to retire, New Jersey gave Kovalchuk the opportunity to sign in Russia.