OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rio Olympics
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:48 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Watched the Woman's Rugby 7s this weekend. What a great game - I am now a fan. Fast & hard hitting with none of this soccer diving bs what more do you want in a sport. Games are done in half and hour so its easy to watch.

Post subject: Re: Rio Olympics
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:25 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I've been following along on Genie Bouchard's Snapchat. Apparently I should also be following Leslie Jones on Twitter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:17 pm 

Have not been following at all, the IOC has been ruining the games for me for years..............their latest act of self serving cowardice and not booting the Russians has just made them more of joke to me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:26 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Have not been following at all, the IOC has been ruining the games for me for years..............their latest act of self serving cowardice and not booting the Russians has just made them more of joke to me.

Well, they've been complicit with corrupt institutions for decades now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:45 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I tuned in for the first time last night and saw Phelps take his 20th gold medal in the 200 Metre Butterfly. What a beautiful event.

I also saw Canada lose to Brazil in men's indoor volleyball after taking down the US team in straight sets. The speed of the game is incredible their vertical jumping these days is something to behold.

I'll watch most of the volleyball, swimming and some of the track events like 100 metre and maybe rugby 7's. I'll pass on the rest.

The summer Olympics are way too big and overblown for my taste. Too many events. The IOC's prehistoric approach to media presentation and the inherent corrupt nature of the institution as a whole has been totally exposed.

Not to mention the hypocrisy surrounding their drug policies. The way they handled Russia was a total joke.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:25 pm 

Yeah, I didn't mean to be dismissive of Kyle's point. The Olympics have lost a ton of their luster over the last few decades for me, and the corruption aspect is a big part as to why. As others know, I don't even get totally psyched about Olympic hockey anymore (but I still watch).

But I am definitely more Winter Olympics-oriented than summer. And I agree...way too many friggin' events.

Here's an interesting article. The suggestion is to quit with the ridiculously expensive practice of moving the Olympics to a different city every time and just do them in Vancouver every two years from now on.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_ci ... rever.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:36 pm 

Yeah saw that too. I think they should just select a few Olympic cities where they had previous successes and stick with those on rotation. Or at least during selection process, the IOC could grant the games to each host city twice. So in Vancouver's case, they would have hosted the Winter Olympics in 2010 and 2014 or again in 2018. It's just too expensive for a city to fund the infrastructure virtually from scratch each time.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:49 pm 
OTP Historian

But but but...how will we reaffirm the IOC's completely over-inflated sense of worth without the constant bidding and bribing for the honour of hosting such a sacred event?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:50 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bring the PrOlympics back to Lake Placid! Although, a new rink would have to be built. That rink can't hold more than 8000! I was surprised at how small it is!

But yeah, summer Olympics. Meh. Not my type of stuff. And it pisses me off to have skateboarding be an event. Fuck that. Keep skating grass roots. Not big corporate bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:30 pm 

Anyone who has swam competitively know that ready room is no place to show off.

Check out Phelps with the death stare on rival Le Clos prior to the men's 200 Meter Butterflly which Phelps won gold in Rio. It almost looks like Le Clos is taunting Phelps.

If you recall Le Clos took the gold in this event in London in 2012 by a hair over Phelps by just out touching him at the wall. This is Phelp's signature event which he has dominated since the beginning of time.

Apparently these two do not like each other. NOT. ONE. BIT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BemrQOzMVWo

Who looks more focused to you?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:07 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:

Check out Phelps with the death stare on rival Le Clos prior to the men's 200 Meter Butterflly which Phelps won gold in Rio. It almost looks like Le Clos is taunting Phelps.

If you recall Le Clos took the gold in this event in London in 2012 by a hair over Phelps by just out touching him at the wall. This is Phelp's signature event which he has dominated since the beginning of time.

Le Clos looks to play pocket pool for a minute there. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:09 pm 
OTP Historian

Everyone focuses in different ways. I probably wouldn't put much stock into this to see how much more focuses one is over the other. Of course, that's never stopped sportswriters from coming up with their own unprovable narratives...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:07 pm 

Le Clos is a toolbag. Beat Phelps one single, solitary time by a fraction of a second and wouldn't shut up about it. And yes, I do believe he was trying to get on Phelps's nerves there, and it was working. Too bad for Le Clos that getting him angry was about the worst thing you could do.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:16 am 

Man, Elliotte Friedman sure is hard on himself. I didn't hear about this one until after that fact as I was watching the NBC feed.
Quote:
After biggest blunder of his career, CBC's Elliotte Friedman wants no sympathy
http://www.si.com/olympics/2016/08/12/elliotte-friedman-cbc-michael-phelps-ryan-lochte-rio-olympics

I like his work on HNIC. He's one of the best hockey broadcasters of this geeration. He should be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:37 am 

Bosc wrote:
I probably wouldn't put much stock into this to see how much more focuses one is over the other. Of course, that's never stopped sportswriters from coming up with their own unprovable narratives...
It wasn't about comparing focus - that is the purpose of the ready room, to get focused. It's Le Clos' approach that is astounding. And yes, he is a douche.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:45 am 
OTP Historian

Man, Elliotte Friedman sure is hard on himself. I didn't hear about this one until after that fact as I was watching the NBC feed.
Quote:
After biggest blunder of his career, CBC's Elliotte Friedman wants no sympathy
http://www.si.com/olympics/2016/08/12/elliotte-friedman-cbc-michael-phelps-ryan-lochte-rio-olympics

I like his work on HNIC. He's one of the best hockey broadcasters of this geeration. He should be fine.

The universal sentiment on twitter was just that - he's one of the hardest working guys in sports, universally respected and loved, and everyone forgives him. He owned it completely.

Bosc wrote:
I probably wouldn't put much stock into this to see how much more focuses one is over the other. Of course, that's never stopped sportswriters from coming up with their own unprovable narratives...
It wasn't about comparing focus - that is the purpose of the ready room, to get focused. It's Le Clos' approach that is astounding. And yes, he is a douche.

K, I figured it was about that since you asked the question ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:21 am 

Bosc wrote:
K, I figured it was about that since you asked the question ;)
Yes but I'm not a sportscaster. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:34 am 

In other news, Bolt wins his 3rd Gold Medal in the 100 meter dash. His speed on the back end of the race is incomparable in the history of the event. He just needs to win the 200 meter to sweep all 6 medals in those two events over the last three Olympics.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... p=cur&_r=0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:10 am 
OTP Historian

In other news, Bolt wins his 3rd Gold Medal in the 100 meter dash. His speed on the back end of the race is incomparable in the history of the event. He just needs to win the 200 meter to sweep all 6 medals in those two events over the last three Olympics.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... p=cur&_r=0

So I've heard that he expressed interest in competing in the 400m before, but the timing doesn't allow for it in the Olympics. I have no idea if he's ever trained for it but they really should have moved the 400m race to allow him to run it.

Also, Bolt is still only 29 years old. If continued to train and runs in 2020, he'd be younger than Gatlin currently is :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:34 am 

Can Bolt be taught to bunt? Could you imagine his infield single success rate? Or stolen bases? He'd be standing on 2nd waving to the crowd when the throw from the catcher arrived. Or halfway to third. :lol:

And even if he had no arm what-so-ever, he'd be able to get to almost any fly ball in center field.