OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:50 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Av-merican wrote:
Captain Chaos wrote:
I thought after the first goal it would pan out to be a pretty good game but alas not so. What next for USA Hockey? Some good young prospects in the works.

Well, they're gonna use that as an excuse I'm sure but I think Phil Kessel's tweet should put that bullshit theory to rest.

They still had plenty of skill to spare despite some of the youngsters playing for North America. They decided not to use them.

Anyone who had anything to do with this travesty should be barred from the room from here on out. No Torts, no Lombardi, and if there was even a hint of Burke, tell him to GTFO once and for all.

totally agree with all this. Torts as coach was an especially terrible choice, just a bad fit for a team of superstars. And the Team NA dilution isn't a great excuse. If they didn't take Kessel there is no way they would have taken Mathews and maybe Eichel. Gaudreau would have been a no brainer though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:25 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Honestly how could any of the US players think Kessel's tweet was anything but a dig a US team management?

Interpretation.

1. Phil feels he deserves to be here, that management made a mistake, wants to be playing and help us win.
2. Phil thinks we stink and would be better with him.
3. Phil thinks he deserves a spot over one of us.

Personally, I think Phil intent is #1 at management, but I can see some of those guys being a little pissed off right after getting knocked out. After some thought though, Backes might have changed the way he approached it.

Personally I thought it was frigging hilarious.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:27 am 
King of the One-Liner

Oh he thinks he deserves a spot and clearly did. When you exclude a guy like that you are doubting his character so do not blame Kessel for sharing some snark. After so long being the butt of jokes you get to just say "fuck it" don't care.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:22 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Oh he thinks he deserves a spot and clearly did. When you exclude a guy like that you are doubting his character so do not blame Kessel for sharing some snark. After so long being the butt of jokes you get to just say "fuck it" don't care.

Yup.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:49 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I agree Kessel's comment was aimed at management, but yeah, he obviously feels he deserved to be there over at least 1 of the players. He probably thinks over like 15 of the other players. And I agree with him. But yes, I can also see how the players might be a little butt hurt over it, especially just hours after getting ousted in embarrassing fashion. They had 1 goal in 2 games. Clearly they could use his offense, but the players would also be very frustrated after that. Shitty situation all around, and the blame is to be spread around, like the fertilizing manure that they put together.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:34 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/110874 ... -fantastic

Muy bueno.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:41 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I agree Kessel's comment was aimed at management, but yeah, he obviously feels he deserved to be there over at least 1 of the players. He probably thinks over like 15 of the other players. And I agree with him. But yes, I can also see how the players might be a little butt hurt over it, especially just hours after getting ousted in embarrassing fashion. They had 1 goal in 2 games. Clearly they could use his offense, but the players would also be very frustrated after that. Shitty situation all around, and the blame is to be spread around, like the fertilizing manure that they put together.

Bobby Ryan was decidedly less subtle. :lol:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ho ... story.html

In other news, David Backes is a fucking tool.

Oh, and when the most legendary name in American hockey history still living speaks out, methinks USA Hockey is going to listen.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/mike-er ... umiliation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:30 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Quote:
There’s promise waiting in the wings with Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel for the Americans, but it’s not clear how USA expects to incorporate that talent into a larger vision, or even if there’s a larger vision.
Surround them with thugs and a loud mouth coach? I honestly cannot believe they selected Torts as head coach. It makes zero sense and proves there is an old boy's club mentality and approach within USA hockey. There exists old relationships within USA hockey whose knowledge and understanding of the game has passed them by. Rest assured, good will come from this. Similar to when Canada lost in Olympics in 1998 - the entire development system and selection committees changed after that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:40 pm 

The Canads handle the Russki's with relative ease. Bob the goalie sensational but the game was not nearly as close as the score would indicate.

Who wins between Sweden and EU for the Final? I have a feeling the Euro's might pull off an upset.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:13 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Quote:
There’s promise waiting in the wings with Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel for the Americans, but it’s not clear how USA expects to incorporate that talent into a larger vision, or even if there’s a larger vision.
Surround them with thugs and a loud mouth coach? I honestly cannot believe they selected Torts as head coach. It makes zero sense and proves there is an old boy's club mentality and approach within USA hockey. There exists old relationships within USA hockey whose knowledge and understanding of the game has passed them by. Rest assured, good will come from this. Similar to when Canada lost in Olympics in 1998 - the entire development system and selection committees changed after that.

But that's the problem. The US was embarrassed as hell after Nagano as well and turned to Herb Brooks to fix it. Like he did in 1980 he dared to say the Americans could beat the odds-on favorites at their own game and emphasized skill over thuggery. He came pretty close to gold again too. So for them to assemble a merry band of meatheads AGAIN is just mind-blowing. He may be a good human being, but until Brian Burke's influence is wholly eradicated from USA hockey the program will not move forward.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:41 am 
OTP Historian

Tatar!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:33 am 

I get 1/2 my hope- with Team Europe in the finals. I was hoping for them to play Team NA for a battle of the misfit toys. Oh well.

I just wish Europe would play another goalie! Halak is really cutting into his 45 game season here... He'll be out by January at this rate.

But I love that he once again beat Lundqvist.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Everyone's saying Krueger should get an NHL job from this, but he's a big-time trapping coach.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:36 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Everyone's saying Krueger should get an NHL job from this, but he's a big-time trapping coach.

Eh...Patrick Roy proved you can tout an up-tempo philosophy and still roll out a boring, substandard brand of hockey.

The fact remains that Krueger never got a fair shake at the NHL level. I'd at least like for him to get that. It's certainly better than watching guys like Tortorella and Carlyle get constantly recycled.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:06 pm 

Gaborik out for Euro.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:18 pm 

I'm actually shocked he made it this far.

Interesting how perception of this tournament changes according to the fanbase watching. I visited the Rangers fan forum I used to frequent and they appear to a T to be 100% against the World Cup. I'm guessing a lot of that stems from the fact that Henrik Lundqvist is battling injuries and illness and looked less-than-stellar as a result.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:30 am 

Av-merican wrote:

I'm actually shocked he made it this far.

Interesting how perception of this tournament changes according to the fanbase watching. I visited the Rangers fan forum I used to frequent and they appear to a T to be 100% against the World Cup. I'm guessing a lot of that stems from the fact that Henrik Lundqvist is battling injuries and illness and looked less-than-stellar as a result.

Yep. I live in Ranger country, and all the fans are bitching about it. On the counter-point, I'm very concerned Halak is using up his limited health points, and needs to find one of those fairy wells, where you get more hearts/health points.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:34 pm 

Game 1 tonight.

As usual, the main feeling among fans is "Just don't get hurt".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:59 pm 

Honestly, given how many stupid groin pulls happen at training camps I'm not certain, outside of some blatant open-ice cheap shot, that playing in actual games really increases the risk for injury that much more. If anything it should make them even more ready once the season starts.

The Isles just have to be smart and realize that Halak isn't built for a full season, switch him regularly with Greiss.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:13 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Honestly, given how many stupid groin pulls happen at training camps I'm not certain, outside of some blatant open-ice cheap shot, that playing in actual games really increases the risk for injury that much more. If anything it should make them even more ready once the season starts.

The Isles just have to be smart and realize that Halak isn't built for a full season, switch him regularly with Greiss.

Smart + Isles does NOT usually create a solid equation. Capuano over-rides his hot hand, which I think has lead to Halak's injuries. He was on fire last year when he went down, but he'd played too many games. The year before they didn't trust Johnson at all (understandable), but they also didn't trust Neuvirth, who played well for them, and continues to be a more than serviceable backup, if not more of a 1b type. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they have Greiss over Neuvirth, but it was risky to ride Halak the way they did the last 2 years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next