OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:57 pm 
Big in Japan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-announces-world-c ... 6-1.190879

In 2016. The six hockey powers, plus a pan-Euro team and one made up of North American players under 23.

The two grab bag teams seem like an utterly half-baked idea. I'm not remotely interested in this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:19 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Hey I thought I put up a topic on this somewhere with a snarky title...

Anwyay, pretty obvious that the NHL is behind the establishment of a New World Order here. Combined Europe? Team North American U24? They're indoctrinating our youth!

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:04 pm 
Big in Japan

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7784 ... l:topheads

Sept. 17 through Oct. 1, 2016. All games will be played at the ACC.

Group A: Canada, Czech Republic, USA, "Europe"
Group B: Russia, Finland, Sweden, "Young Guns" i.e. U-23 North Americans

Fun?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:30 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=778433&navid=nhl:topheads

Sept. 17 through Oct. 1, 2016. All games will be played at the ACC.

Group A: Canada, Czech Republic, USA, "Europe"
Group B: Russia, Finland, Sweden, "Young Guns" i.e. U-23 North Americans

Fun?

During pre-season? What's the over/under for serious NHL player injuries? I'm saying at least 3 players will miss at least 1/2 a season.

I like the idea but not the timing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:32 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Please no plastic laces on the jerseys.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:50 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Please no plastic laces on the jerseys.

The blacktop crack filler? Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:01 am 

USA Hockey hired John Tortorella as head coach.

Now, I don't really give a shit about the World Cup to begin with, and I'm not going to bash Torts' recent record as a coach or anything like that. But what the fuck are USA Hockey thinking? To be a youth coach under USA Hockey you've got to take endless courses on showing class, respect for everyone (opponents and refs, etc), show restraint when your team is down, penalized, etc... So who do they hire? A guy who constantly yells & screams, publicly insults his players, tries to get into the opponent's locker room, almost causing a post-game brawl, gets into childish, curse filled arguments with reporters.... Thanks USA Hockey, I'm really glad some of the $$$ I pay you pricks to be allowed to coach kids will go towards hiring this asshole. That's the way to lead by example. Tell us all to behave like choir boys, and then hire the biggest shithead available, who opposes everything you preach. Fucking morons.

Rant over. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:02 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
USA Hockey hired John Tortorella as head coach.

Now, I don't really give a shit about the World Cup to begin with, and I'm not going to bash Torts' recent record as a coach or anything like that. But what the fuck are USA Hockey thinking? To be a youth coach under USA Hockey you've got to take endless courses on showing class, respect for everyone (opponents and refs, etc), show restraint when your team is down, penalized, etc... So who do they hire? A guy who constantly yells & screams, publicly insults his players, tries to get into the opponent's locker room, almost causing a post-game brawl, gets into childish, curse filled arguments with reporters.... Thanks USA Hockey, I'm really glad some of the $$$ I pay you pricks to be allowed to coach kids will go towards hiring this asshole. That's the way to lead by example. Tell us all to behave like choir boys, and then hire the biggest shithead available, who opposes everything you preach. Fucking morons.

Rant over. :D

Great rant!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:57 pm 
King of Men

The Level of play in this WC is f'n great! Team NA is kick ass and I will be rooting for them Go Johnny!

Plus its all on ESPN....do you know how many years its been? They ought to bring back the deuce crew for the tournament. Gary Thorne, Bill Clement, Panger, Brain Engbloom, Mike Emrick, Sam Rosen, Melrose and Levy.

Are all those dudes still alive?

Chara is getting old.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:02 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Saw NA versus Euro - the speed, raw talent and trading chances back and forth was impressive, but overall the game lacked intensity or grit in comparison to the Canada versus US weekend set. Wasn't even close (Eg. Kesler versus Weber).

Perhaps it's understandable considering these two teams carry virtually no history whatsoever and were literally made up in a board room for just this tournament.

It's hard to socially construct a sense of team pride and a 'win or die' attitude like Canada, US, Russia and Finland will assuredly bring night in and out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:33 pm 
King of Men

Melrose and Levy on the game tonight....makes me feel l like I am 22!

Yeah it took me a bit to understand what the hell team NA and team Euro were. I like the concept of the kids but team Euro doesn't have a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:20 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Melrose and Levy on the game tonight....makes me feel l like I am 22!

Old Time Hockey! :Butch:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:24 pm 

Have to say, I love the Team Europe jerseys looking like they couldn't decide on a color scheme and going with both. :haha:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:03 pm 

Is it just me or does Carey Price look off? Hopefully it's just a timing thing and a function of the year long layoff - and not the injury lingering and spoiling his all world skill set.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:53 pm 
Big in Japan

He's been out almost a full year. I think it's rust.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:44 pm 

He'll be our starting goalie tomorrow. That's a good sign.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:40 pm 

Europe shuts out the US 3-0. Franz Nielsen with a great pass on Gaborik's goal. Halak looked pretty damn good. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:16 am 

Finland and Rinne look hapless versus the NA squad - 4-1 final. Not even close. It will be interesting to see how the young guns fare against Sweden on Wednesday - who have looked strong defensively thus far.

USA v. Canada Tuesday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:16 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Finland and Rinne look hapless versus the NA squad - 4-1 final. Not even close. It will be interesting to see how the young guns fare against Sweden on Wednesday - who have looked strong defensively thus far.

USA v. Canada Tuesday.

Moron Tortorella called that the US' championship. Makes it sound like he doesn't expect to get out of the 1st round. :lol:
Byfuglien was benched for the game vs Europe. It's probably noted somewhere, but I haven't seen the reason for the benching.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:42 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:

USA v. Canada Tuesday.

Moron Tortorella called that the US' championship. Makes it sound like he doesn't expect to get out of the 1st round. :lol:
Byfuglien was benched for the game vs Europe. It's probably noted somewhere, but I haven't seen the reason for the benching.

Look at the US team. The reason is " because stupid".