OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:31 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Av-merican wrote:
Personally speaking, if this costs Staal time in the NHL, it should get Edler Shanabanned to start the season. But I don't think the rules allow for that.
Wishful thinking Av. IIHF and NHL are independent organizations.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:58 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Logical Progression wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Personally speaking, if this costs Staal time in the NHL, it should get Edler Shanabanned to start the season. But I don't think the rules allow for that.
Wishful thinking Av. IIHF and NHL are independent organizations.

Yet they use largely the same personnel for games. They have to have agreements in advance for that. Don't believe the ones they have cover this though.

And really, I'll contradict myself now and say I don't really WANT to see Edler suspended because I've gone on record as being one of those who thinks that injuries resulting from a dirty hit/play are irrelevant. It's the intent, not the result, that should be grounds for punishment. Not always easy to gauge intent--but in a case like this it sure as hell looks intentional to me.

It was a dirty, dirty, hit IMO. If you want to chalk that up to my anti-Canucks bias, I won't stop you. To be honest I've never really thought much about Edler one way or the other.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:59 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Av-merican wrote:
Not sure how you can say it wasn't intentional unless you truly believe Edler turned into a zombie there. He had all the time in the world to veer off and didn't so much as budge.

You've never banged into an object despite not trying to? I imagine Edler was trying to initiate contact, not get him at the knee. There are a very, very few players out there that do seem to maybe have a bit of a psychotic streak running through them (Raffi Torres comes to mind, even if all of his recent suspensions have been borderline plays), but I refuse to believe there are very many. The idea that Alex Edler is trying to endanger an opponent's career in the freaking Worlds? Caman...

One of the reasons why the Duncan Keith elbow on Daniel Sedin still has me so outraged a year later is because it was as intentional an attempt to injure seriously as they come. You can't say that about most collisions-gone-wrong, and as I have repeated as nauseum, I seldom see a knee collision that looks the slightest bit intentional to me. (And that includes when Kyle Quincey took out David Booth last year. I'd have had no issue if he wasn't suspended).

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:15 pm 

Jyrki21 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Not sure how you can say it wasn't intentional unless you truly believe Edler turned into a zombie there. He had all the time in the world to veer off and didn't so much as budge.

You've never banged into an object despite not trying to? I imagine Edler was trying to initiate contact, not get him at the knee. There are a very, very few players out there that do seem to maybe have a bit of a psychotic streak running through them (Raffi Torres comes to mind, even if all of his recent suspensions have been borderline plays), but I refuse to believe there are very many. The idea that Alex Edler is trying to endanger an opponent's career in the freaking Worlds? Caman...

One of the reasons why the Duncan Keith elbow on Daniel Sedin still has me so outraged a year later is because it was as intentional an attempt to injure seriously as they come. You can't say that about most collisions-gone-wrong, and as I have repeated as nauseum, I seldom see a knee collision that looks the slightest bit intentional to me. (And that includes when Kyle Quincey took out David Booth last year. I'd have had no issue if he wasn't suspended).

I think the intention was to check and when he realized he couldn't get the body he instinctively went for the knee. Like when I drop something I'll lunge with my hand and if I'm not going to make it I stick out my foot to break the fall. Not bad idea with glassware but dumb idea with knives. :fffffuck: It's just instinctive reaction but sometimes very dumb.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:16 pm 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

I thought it was really dirty. I like Edler and don't think him to be a dirty player, but that looked bad.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:48 pm 
King of Men

yep they don't come like this everyday.

Complete with Lydon Byers "don't pressure me!"