OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:17 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

What a weird, weird story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html

Dig those crazy Rub el Hizb's inside the faceoff circles.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:46 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I give that kid a shitload of credit. He may have given up 60 & only had a .70 save %, but he made 140 fucking saves in one game! NHL record is 80. 200 shots total, 3.33 shots/minute. Most games average less than 1 shot/2 minutes on each team's goalie.

And I find it fabulous poetic justice that the dicks who put up 60 on him were ousted from the tournament, with 2 injured players (out of the 12 they'd brought, presumably to get higher % of the prize money). Probably exhausted from pressing so much in the 60-0 win. That's one of the most disgustingly unsportsmanlike game I've ever heard of (pretty much just behind the 80+ & 90+ goal games they mention). I thought the girls high school basketball team that won like 110-0 a few years ago was bad, but in high school basketball you almost expect 110 points between the two teams. In hockey I don't think anyone really expects to see 20 goals total, let alone 60, 80 or 90. That's just wrong.

I've been on both ends of routes, as a player & coach. I don't even find winning in a route fun. Unless they've done it to my team before, I don't like to see the score run up. You hit 8-0 & you switch up O & D players, and they have to pass at least 3 times before shooting, and even then, it had better be the kids on the team with the least goals on the season shooting. You hit a 10 goal gap and you have to pass at least 5 times before you think of shooting (and again, better be the kids who don't score much)... These things are called class & sportsmanship. If an asshole like me knows & uses them, I'd expect others to as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:26 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I remember my coach once told us he wanted at least two passes before entering the offensive zone during a tournament game after we had reached a pretty sizable lead. It was something like 10-2 or something, and one of the goals was scored when one of my teammates just lazily flipped it up into the air toward the net and the goalie STILL let it get behind him.

I can't even imagine being outmatched to the point that they're putting 60 up on you. That had to be agonizing for that poor kid. But hey, he can leave the ice with his head held high. He definitely has a story to tell now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:19 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Yeah when you score on a dump-in, it's time to work on things like cycling the puck, passing off the boards, etc. We were getting routed by a team one time & their coaches told the players to pass a lot, and shoot- but purposely shoot a "little" wide. Make it look like a shot, but don't actually shoot. Makes the other team feel good about not letting up more goals, but doesn't make it really obvious that you've stopped trying to score. I thought that was the height of class & sportsmanship and let the other coaches know. I'd forgotten that one. If you're going to remember being routed, that's the one to remember. :lol: Instead I usually think of the bad ones where I wanted to choke the opposing coaches. And I usually let them know that too.