(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:00 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://www.puckworlds.com/

Just saying. :)

Am I going to get banned for this?

Denmark is up 6-0 on Slovakia after 1. Bitches.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:13 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Puck Worlds also needs to dump that lame default Twitter bird profile pic. Just sayin'.

Also, might there be a "How Scott Gordon FUBAR'd the IIHFWCs." article coming soon?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:46 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Puck Worlds also needs to dump that lame default Twitter bird profile pic. Just sayin'.

Also, might there be a "How Scott Gordon FUBAR'd the IIHFWCs." article coming soon?

By not having a single 20 goal scorer on the roster?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:05 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

saskhab wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

By not having a single 20 goal scorer on the roster?

By just sucking donkey as a head coach?

Just sayin'...

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:24 pm 

Or this: All of the teams that finished ahead of the USA in their group made the playoffs. They weren't pushovers, and the USA lost a couple of really close games. One goal in either of those first two games and they'd still be playing on Thursday in the quarterfinals.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:27 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

saskhab wrote:
Or this: All of the teams that finished ahead of the USA in their group made the playoffs. They weren't pushovers, and the USA lost a couple of really close games. One goal in either of those first two games and they'd still be playing on Thursday in the quarterfinals.

That may be true, but they beat lowly Italy in a shoot out to avoid relegation

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:22 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

i nearly pissed myself when i found out Italy almost beat the US. that would have been epic!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:36 am 

The best goalie in the tournament was the Italian goalie. He made 50 saves in that game...

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:46 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

saskhab wrote:
The best goalie in the tournament was the Italian goalie. He made 50 saves in that game...

Who is he? Is he on the scout's radar?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:05 am 

us 679 part trois wrote:
saskhab wrote:

Who is he? Is he on the scout's radar?

He's actually Canadian (goes by the name Daniel Bellissimo), had an average NCAA career before completely falling off and losing his spot. He's been in Italy's top league for the past 3 years and has improved. Maybe he's good enough to play in the Czech Republic, Germany or Switzerland now.

He just got hot. It happens. Belarus' goalie has done this before and he's just an average KHL goalie. It's just incredible the numbers he put up (2.05 GAA, .948 SV%) and yet his team could only beat Kazakhstan and force a shootout with USA. Italy didn't even know he was any good... they started the tournament with another Canuck goalie... Adam Russo. They switched after two periods of Canada and Bellissimo clearly looked better (not that Russo really looked bad given the circumstances).

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:39 am 

http://www.puckworlds.com/2010/5/19/147 ... ns-learned

There's my response to the USA haters. It's not completely based on Team USA (there were issues with the team's selection of so many grinders that I've alluded to here but not in the article), but it shows the randomness of the early outcomes. After 3 games, it's pretty harsh to dump a team to the relegation round, and after 6 games we get a better idea of who actually is good (though still not a complete picture, just a better one).

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:20 pm 

Av will be pleased to know that South Korea finished 25th in the World Championships overall standings (as far as I can tell, I have a margin of error of 1 as it's difficult to tell in the lower pools). They were ranked 35th in the World Rankings heading in and have now leapfrogged past Australia and Turkey for 33rd. Because they are now firmly in the Div. 1 pool and the countries ranked around them are more Div. 2 fodder, they should be able to jump past Mexico (32) and Bulgaria (31) by next year, and perhaps even Spain to move into the top 30.

The World Rankings are very static. It's rare anyone moves more than 2 spots in a year, and in general movement is rare. USA will likely drop 2 or 3 spots from #3 with their 13th place showing, depending on what the Czechs and Swiss do. A possibility exists that if the Swiss win it all, they'll move ahead of the USA in world ranking, which would be really weird.

South Korea's rise up the charts is quite impressive. Finishing 5th in their Div. 1 pool (out of 6 teams, avoiding relegation) is quite the feat for a lower tier country.

It's probably an inaccurate ranking... They are getting punished for not being in the Olympic qualifying tournaments, because they weren't ranked in the top 30. That pretty much guarantees that you are keeping those other countries below the cutoff point until they are really a top 20-25 nation.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:43 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Av will be pleased to know that South Korea finished 25th in the World Championships overall standings (as far as I can tell, I have a margin of error of 1 as it's difficult to tell in the lower pools). They were ranked 35th in the World Rankings heading in and have now leapfrogged past Australia and Turkey for 33rd. Because they are now firmly in the Div. 1 pool and the countries ranked around them are more Div. 2 fodder, they should be able to jump past Mexico (32) and Bulgaria (31) by next year, and perhaps even Spain to move into the top 30.

The World Rankings are very static. It's rare anyone moves more than 2 spots in a year, and in general movement is rare. USA will likely drop 2 or 3 spots from #3 with their 13th place showing, depending on what the Czechs and Swiss do. A possibility exists that if the Swiss win it all, they'll move ahead of the USA in world ranking, which would be really weird.

South Korea's rise up the charts is quite impressive. Finishing 5th in their Div. 1 pool (out of 6 teams, avoiding relegation) is quite the feat for a lower tier country.

It's probably an inaccurate ranking... They are getting punished for not being in the Olympic qualifying tournaments, because they weren't ranked in the top 30. That pretty much guarantees that you are keeping those other countries below the cutoff point until they are really a top 20-25 nation.

:Butch:

BTW, nice job on defending the US of A, but I still feel like it's a bit of a step back in light of the big steps forward (WJC gold, Olympic silver) that USA Hockey made.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:54 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
BTW, nice job on defending the US of A, but I still feel like it's a bit of a step back in light of the big steps forward (WJC gold, Olympic silver) that USA Hockey made.

If anything, it was three or four steps forward, to one step back. Still a huge year for USA Hockey as a whole (men's program at least). Don't forget U-18 gold, too, though that isn't unusual (USA has won that tourney more than any other country because of the USNDTP).

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:41 am 

Way to go Messier! 7th place! woot!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:11 pm 

Don't look now but I'm picking a fight with the author about Kovalchuk.

http://www.puckworlds.com/2010/6/8/1506 ... -khl-offer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:32 pm 

http://hc.tps.fi/index.php?page=11484bb ... 8f1eefecfa

Awesome. I'm getting tons of hits today from TPS Turku's official website.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:53 pm 

first or second one was me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:55 pm 

Jesus, 21 Facebook likes. I don't think I had a single one before. Finns are crazy! I'm just recapping what they already knew!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:08 pm 

Holy crap... I made the front page of NHL.com today! :wth: