OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:38 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://www.behindthenethockey.com/2010/ ... -of-hockey

The Associated Press, and various other news outlets, were promoting the USA win over Canada as "the biggest upset in Olympic Hockey since the 1980 Miracle on Ice." Any actual hockey fan knows this is complete and utter horseshit. The odds put USA beating Canada one out of every three games they'd play each other. It's a mild upset, but not a stunner. It's actually an insult to the NHL players (many of them top line players) to compare their victory to that of the 1980 team's unlikely triumph over the Soviets.

Anyways, in the comments section, a reader actually lists 10 much bigger upsets that have happened since 1980 in the Olympics. A couple of them involve the USA, but as the team on the other side of the coin:

Quote:
Honourable Mentions: France tying USA 4-4 in 1994, and Latvia tying the US 3-3 in 2006.

10. 1988: Poland ties Defending Bronze medalist Swedes 1-1
- Would rank higher but it was only a tie

9. 1984: Norway ties the defending Gold medalist USA 3-3 the year after the Miracle on Ice
- Would rank higher but it was only a tie

8. 1994: Germany beats the USA 4-3
- The last Olympics where the NHL didn’t allow their players to compete, otherwise this would rank higher

7. 2002: Belarus beats Sweden 4-3
- Mats Sundin and Nicklas Lidstrom in their prime somehow lose to Belarus?
- The first major shocker that I remember.

6. 1988: Finland 2 USSR 1
- This was when USSR was practically unbeatable (Miracle on Ice notwithstanding).
- Soviets went on to win Gold, with legends Krutov, Larionov, Fetisov, Makarov, et al.
- Otherwise I would never put a Finland win on a list of major upsets
- I don’t think the Finns made a movie out of this.

5. 2006: Switzerland 3 Czech Republic 2
- The Czechs would win the Bronze medal
- The Swiss are definitely Olympic hockey’s true Cinderella team

4. 1988: Switzerland 2 Finland 1
- Finland was awesome that year, upsetting the USSR, and eventually taking home Silver

3. 1988: West Germany beating Czechoslovakia 2-1
- The Czechs were a perennial powerhouse, playing professional players against amateurs, and were the defending Silver medalists

2. 1994: Germany beat Russia 4-2
- Russia was the defending champion

1. 2006: Switzerland beat Canada 2-0
- Canada were the defending champs, stacked with talent … shut out!

In each of these cases the Cinderella team had maybe a 20% chance of winning, at best. The USA had probably a 40-45% chance of beating Canada last night – at worst.

I'd definitely put #7 a lot higher. Belarus had a single NHL caliber player, and he was a defensive defenseman. Having a NHL starting goalie like Switzerland had in '06 is definitely a great leveller. Still, one can definitely say that all of these wins were more shocking than Sunday's game.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:50 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
6. 1988: Finland 2 USSR 1
- This was when USSR was practically unbeatable (Miracle on Ice notwithstanding).
- Soviets went on to win Gold, with legends Krutov, Larionov, Fetisov, Makarov, et al.
- Otherwise I would never put a Finland win on a list of major upsets
- I don’t think the Finns made a movie out of this.

Tikhonov has also said that the '88 team was the best that he ever coached.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I completely agree with you Sask. The US media crowing just shows their complete hockey ignorance. They piss me off. Grreatest upset my ass. What a bunch of tools.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:18 pm 
King of Men

Quote:
7. 2002: Belarus beats Sweden 4-3
- Mats Sundin and Nicklas Lidstrom in their prime somehow lose to Belarus?
- The first major shocker that I remember.

I remember skipping work and watching this at a bar. For me this would have to be 1 or 2.

How can one set of highly paid professionals in the highest league of their sport beating another be called an upset? F'n Media tried so hard to draw some comparison between the USSR game and the Canada game the other night.....I really don't know why.....they would have had better results putting it on real TV.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:29 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I think it's a desperate attempt by NBC to generate interest in the marque sport of the Winter Olympics by bringing back memories of the Miracle on Ice... They were projecting a loss of $250M even before the games began. That would explain the ungodly number of commercials that I came across last night when I tuned into the replay of Canada's last curling match. Every time I advanced the scrub bar to a 'key event', several commercials (the same ones each time) would come up before the replay of the event.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:34 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I don't mind the local sports media slathering this win with too much hyperbole so long as the players themselves don't buy into it--at least they're paying some attention to hockey. The knee-jerk reaction to link any sort of American hockey success to the Miracle on Ice is as predictable as a Jay Leno monologue. At least it's a story, over-hyped as all hell, but a story nonethless. The alternative here in Denver is to listen to ridiculous and baseless rumors that Donovan McNabb is coming to the Broncos or the latest in-depth analysis of Tiger Woods "press conference."

BTW, I think From the Rink is posting that NBC is actually airing more commercial time than actual coverage...and they're STILL losing money.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:52 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
I think it's a desperate attempt by NBC to generate interest in the marque sport of the Winter Olympics

I know it's beside the point, but hockey is not the marquee sport of the Winter Olympics outside of Canada. I'm sure figure skating at least garners more attention. Most countries just care about the sports they're good at, and there are more skiing/skating countries than hockey countries.