OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:02 pm 
OTP Historian

Joannie Rochette is carrying the flag for the closing ceremonies. Awesome choice :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:40 pm 
Flamer who Likes to Ride Rough

Fuck all the naysayers that want to spin the games as a negative because they didn't meet the "own the podium" goal of winning the most total medals.

14 golds is a record for any country in any winter games and this is an amazing achievement. Good work all around by the men and women of Team Canada and hats off to Vancouver for hosting.

Where does Team Canada go from here? Do we continue funding at "own the podium" levels? When can Canada make a successful bid to host the games again???

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:46 pm 
King of the One-Liner

When you get Silver you don't own the Podium, the person standing a little higher on your left does.

Good job Canada.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:13 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

My mother's at the closing ceremonies now -- so far it looks like more jingoism and Canadian stereotypes that have little application to Vancouver. I honestly don't remember flags/anthems of the host country routinely displayed like this at any prior games (I don't remember a single Italian flag in Turin apart from those on Italian athletes), but I also don't think I've ever watched the closing ceremonies.

I still think Quebec City will get the Winters sooner than anyone thinks. (And the ceremonies and symbolism will be entirely Québécois, in spite of the whingeing by La Presse and Le Soleil during these games.).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:24 pm 
Loves The Cock

no more funding of this until they resume proper funding of youth sports, please....

where we go from here is to start paying for this... and its gonna hurt bigtime...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:25 pm 

Shouldn't they be passing the flag to the London people rather than Sochi? Sam Sullivan took it on behalf of Vancouver in Beijing, not in Turin.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:29 pm 
Loves The Cock

were there any Brits at these games?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:35 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

razzmatazz wrote:
were there any Brits at these games?
Yes, only a few, Amy Williams won their only medal in Skeleton of all things. http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-sk ... 811gm.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:39 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Jyrki21 wrote:
Shouldn't they be passing the flag to the London people rather than Sochi? Sam Sullivan took it on behalf of Vancouver in Beijing, not in Turin.
No he did his twirling act with the flag in Turin where our presentation was an abomination. He was also in Beijing to close out the summer games with no presentation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:58 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:
No he did his twirling act with the flag in Turin where our presentation was an abomination. He was also in Beijing to close out the summer games with no presentation.

Ah OK, I guess that's what I was thinking of, then. I knew there was some connection with him in Beijing, but I see the flag passing in Turin is on Youtube.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:04 am 
Loves The Cock

who is marie-mai???? jesus christ what is wrong with picking performers on merit ALONE...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:26 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/02/26/2213393.aspx

You're welcome. Please come again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:29 am 
Big in Japan

Captain Chaos wrote:

Quote:
For your unique TV commercials -- for companies like Tim Hortons -- which made us laugh and cry.

I don't care what you nabobs say about that Tim's commercial where the guy goes to the airport to pick up his family. I know it's manipulative and corny, but it's pitch perfect, and I never got sick of seeing it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:46 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

The Vancouver Games: A Gold in Drinking

We're #1! We're #1! Woooooo! Wooooooo!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:06 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

All in all a successful winter games. Well done, Vancouver.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:12 am 

E.L. wrote:

I don't care what you nabobs say about that Tim's commercial where the guy goes to the airport to pick up his family. I know it's manipulative and corny, but it's pitch perfect, and I never got sick of seeing it.

So agree! Cut to the chase about what I love so much about Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:20 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

That commercial is fucking terrible, sorry guys. I'd be like "what is this shitty coffee you have given me?" Timmy Ho's coffee only caught on as an excuse for people to cover up the fact that they were eating an obscene amount of donuts.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:36 am 
King of the One-Liner

saskhab wrote:
That commercial is fucking terrible, sorry guys. I'd be like "what is this shitty coffee you have given me?" Timmy Ho's coffee only caught on as an excuse for people to cover up the fact that they were eating an obscene amount of donuts.

Don't know if it a good commercial or not but it made my wife tear up so I suspect Tim Horton's is happy with it and it's effect on people.

I would of liked to see the Wife at the end say "screw this" and turn around and go back into the airport. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:15 am 
Old Man of the Post

E.L. wrote:

My wife pointed out to me that while the salute to the First Nations people thing was nice during the opening ceremonies, they completely missed the mark on celebrating Canada's embrace of its multi-ethnic, multi-cultural people - it was plainly evident in the closing ceremonies and in the street scenes in Vancouver, and everywhere across Canada (what little they did show on NBC, of course) that there isn't a 'stereotypical Canadian'-look. I realize that celebrating multiculturalism is probably a cliched message in Canada, but it would be a good message to share with the rest of the world... And thanks for reinforcing the stereotype that we're either Inuit whale-hunters, beaver-trapping Metis lumberjacks, or freakishly large Mounties.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:20 am 
Old Man of the Post

Av-merican wrote:
All in all a successful winter games. Well done, Vancouver.

Nice article from the NY Times...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next