OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:01 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Unlike Team USA, there is plenty room for error.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:13 pm 
Big in Japan

hammer wrote:
Babcock wanting to keep pairs together

hammer wrote:
Got to go with the hot hands.

I don't believe in either of these strategies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:18 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

Im dissapointed that Luongo didn't get the C, caman!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:27 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

E.L. wrote:
hammer wrote:
Babcock wanting to keep pairs together

hammer wrote:
Got to go with the hot hands.

I don't believe in either of these strategies.

Fair enough. I see why people would question his inclusion but I think Marleau will kick ass at the Olympics. We'll see soon enough!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:32 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

I'd put Marleau on the team over Thornton.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:41 pm 
OTP Clown

I can't wait to see what the seppies at rds have to say about this...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:12 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Why am I having such a hard time trying to care either way? Maybe NHL players in the Olympics has run it's course for me?

I got no issues with the team. Could of made half a dozen other picks and I'd have no issues. Kinda wanted Doan in.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:43 pm 
OTP Historian

hammer wrote:
Lots to critique but this team looks pretty awesome, I am really psyched for this tourney.

My feelings exactly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:59 pm 
OTP Historian

Posted this in the thread on fromtherink.com:

When you have as much talent has Canada has, there will always be room for criticism, especially given how passionate this country’s fans are. I will offer one criticism and I thought that St. Louis should have been on this team without a second thought.
With that being said, I think this is a phenominal lineup and I’m excited to see this team in action.

An amazing thing about this team. Perry, Richards, Crosby, Seabrook, Weber, Bergeron and Getzlaf were all members of the 2005 World Junior gold medal team, and members of this Olympic team only 5 years later. That’s incredible.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:22 pm 
No Longer Croozin'

WHAT!!!! NO Burrows?????
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?????
NO FUCKING BURROWS :wth: :wth: :wth: :wth: :wth:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:53 pm 
Loves The Cock

Savard I have less trouble with now, because he's been hurt and hasnt really done much this year to deserve a spot. Granted he's been playing with plumbers, but that's not Yzerman's problem.

Bergeron, on the other hand, absolutely deserves to be there. Those of you suggesting certain other players are more deserving must be on crack. Patrice has been one of the absolute best two way players in the league this year. He's top 5 in faceoff percentage, and is a grade A penalty killer. Sort of handy talents to have in a tournament where every team is going to be loaded to the teeth with skilled guys.

I would ditch Joe Thornton for obvious reasons - the half board is further away from the net on the big ice surface, and he does nothing when anything matters anyway. I'd probably put a guy like Shane Doan on instead...

On the back end, goodbye Niedermayer, goodbye Pronger, goodbye Boyle. Hello Green, hello Bouwmeester, and hello Phaneuf.

Get Dion away from the trainwreck that is Brent Sutter and I think he'll be fine. Pronger is gonna look grandpa slow on the big ice surface, and how is it that everyone forgets Niedermayer's "do I really want to play? do I?" from last year... captain my ass, give it to Iggy...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:03 am 

razzmatazz wrote:
Savard I have less trouble with now, because he's been hurt and hasnt really done much this year to deserve a spot. Granted he's been playing with plumbers, but that's not Yzerman's problem.

Bergeron, on the other hand, absolutely deserves to be there. Those of you suggesting certain other players are more deserving must be on crack. Patrice has been one of the absolute best two way players in the league this year. He's top 5 in faceoff percentage, and is a grade A penalty killer. Sort of handy talents to have in a tournament where every team is going to be loaded to the teeth with skilled guys.

I would ditch Joe Thornton for obvious reasons - the half board is further away from the net on the big ice surface, and he does nothing when anything matters anyway. I'd probably put a guy like Shane Doan on instead...

On the back end, goodbye Niedermayer, goodbye Pronger, goodbye Boyle. Hello Green, hello Bouwmeester, and hello Phaneuf.

Get Dion away from the trainwreck that is Brent Sutter and I think he'll be fine. Pronger is gonna look grandpa slow on the big ice surface, and how is it that everyone forgets Niedermayer's "do I really want to play? do I?" from last year... captain my ass, give it to Iggy...

Actually, I think it's an NHL regulation surface in Vancouver.

That's fine if Bergy is there, but yeah the exclusion of St. Louis IMO is the most contentious bone, moreso than Green's exclusion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:37 am 
OTP Historian

razzmatazz wrote:

As Av said, it's NHL-sized ice.

Actually, those of us suggesting that other players are more deserving are not on crack. There are numbers to support it, even though numbers don't always tell the whole story. 5 on 5, St. Louis has almost identical GF/GA per 60 as Bergeron against comparable quality of competition and plays on a much worse team. Bergeron has faceoffs on him. And just about everyone else. Lecavalier posts much better GF/GA numbers per 60 minutes than Bergeron. St. Louis's PK numbers are comparable to Bergeron's, with Lecavalier's slightly worse. Bergeron does kill more penalties than those two, but they've been excellent PKers in the past.
There are plenty of guys who can be argued are deserving of being on the squad and simply because someone says that they think that other players are better than Bergeron or they would have taken them before Bergeron does not mean that they "are on crack". There are plenty of reasons for supporting other players if you give some thought to it.

Dion was a defensive train wreck far before Brent Sutter got to that team :roll: You have almost as big a hardon for that guy as Pierre McGuire.

The Niedermayer thing I can agree with you on. I would have liked to see Iggy get it, but in a tourney like this there is no shortage of leadership.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:19 pm 

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/columnist ... nists.atom

Too much emphasis on role players...? Who? Seabrook? Bergeron?