OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Team Zamuner
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:15 am 

TSN posted what will be one in many predictions of who will be on Team Canada at the Olympics. I usually skip over these lists since it's mainly the same names in and out of the lineup. But one caught my eye - Ray Emery for goalie.

In that vein - who are some improbable players that truly deserve consideration for Team Canada - or any other national Olympic team for that matter.

linky: http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/n ... cid=rsstsn

Post subject: Re: Team Zamuner
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:03 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Seeing as how Drury and Booth are both out with concussions and Callahan forgot how to score, Burke might have to make an unconventional pick or two. Too bad the one guy least deserving of an Olympic spot (Komisarek) will get the nod no matter what.

I guess just off the top of my head my unconventional pick would be Jed Ortmeyer. I'm still a fan of his.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:05 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Oddly enough, Ryan Smyth almost worked his way back onto the team with a hell of a year before getting hurt.

Mike Green has to be on the team, though. None of the TSN guys put him on there. Both Green and Keith have to be there... It's between Seabrook, Bouwmesster, and Weber for the final 2 spots. No Dion.

As far as longshots... how about Scott Hartnell? If there's one thing that lineup is missing, it's that big body for the PP, and Hartnell is just that. The team invited Lucic to camp, but Hartnell's the better player right now. He's already got 6 PPG... though that's his entire goal output so far.

Actually, for that matter, what about Dustin Penner? He's been even better, in all aspects of the game. He's on a 44 goal pace right now. Quite frankly, that'd be a solid choice if they're looking for a hot hand.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:35 am 
Big in Japan

Got to rep' my boy Brad Richards, who's playing well in Dallas.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:40 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Oddly enough, Ryan Smyth almost worked his way back onto the team with a hell of a year before getting hurt.

Mike Green has to be on the team, though. None of the TSN guys put him on there. Both Green and Keith have to be there... It's between Seabrook, Bouwmesster, and Weber for the final 2 spots. No Dion.

As far as longshots... how about Scott Hartnell? If there's one thing that lineup is missing, it's that big body for the PP, and Hartnell is just that. The team invited Lucic to camp, but Hartnell's the better player right now. He's already got 6 PPG... though that's his entire goal output so far.

Actually, for that matter, what about Dustin Penner? He's been even better, in all aspects of the game. He's on a 44 goal pace right now. Quite frankly, that'd be a solid choice if they're looking for a hot hand.

Scott Hartnell is way too inconsistent. He'll score a hat trick and a couple of goals in a week, and then disappear for long, long stretches of time. I'd take Doan over him in less than a heartbeat. And Rick Nash is still a pretty big body for the PP.

Ryan Smyth was definitely having a hell of a year, and he would have been a PP guy. Not sure what being hurt will do to his chances.

St. Louis over Perry. Perry might be bigger but St. Louis does more on the ice.

I still like Vinny Lecavalier even though he's struggled this year. He comes up big.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:47 am 

The old Tampa connection of Lecavalier, St. Louis and Richards aren't exactly Rob Zamuner types, guys. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:31 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

My nomination for the Rob Zamuner role is James Neal. This kid is having an unreal season in Dallas - 11 goals and 22 pts in 18 games. 24 goals last year as a rookie. He can flat out score and has size too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:42 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

My Rob Zamuner pick for Team Slovenia is...Anze Kopitar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:26 am 

hammer wrote:
My nomination for the Rob Zamuner role is James Neal. This kid is having an unreal season in Dallas - 11 goals and 22 pts in 18 games. 24 goals last year as a rookie. He can flat out score and has size too.

And is apparently as cheap as they come. The next Bertuzzi!

So, last night in the Hawks-Flames game, they were hyping up all the potential Team Canada d-men. They were saying how there is as many as 5 candidates playing (Keith, Seabrook, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Regehr). All I could think of was how the highest paid Canadian d-man in that game wasn't among those 5 (Campbell). :doh:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:14 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

saskhab wrote:
hammer wrote:

And is apparently as cheap as they come. The next Bertuzzi!

edit: sorry, my response belongs in the dirty hit thread, don't want to muck up team Zamuner!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:40 pm 

Strictly in line with the concept of "Team Zamuner" - I was also thinking Hartnell or Penner. More of a role player but with some talent. Zamuner was also supposed to a shutdown guy for Team Canada, and I've been trying to figure out who would that be now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:00 pm 
OTP Historian

BCG wrote:
Strictly in line with the concept of "Team Zamuner" - I was also thinking Hartnell or Penner. More of a role player but with some talent. Zamuner was also supposed to a shutdown guy for Team Canada, and I've been trying to figure out who would that be now.

Mike Richards, Shane Doan and Brendan Morrow.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:59 am 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
BCG wrote:

Mike Richards, Shane Doan and Brendan Morrow.

Ken Hitchcock has turned Rick Nash into quite possibly the best two-way winger in the NHL.

But, as I always tell my roommate, he sucks.