OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:03 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

TSN wrote:
ESPM.com [sic] is reporting that the reigning Hart Trophy winner plans on participating in the Olympic hockey competition at the 2014 Winter games in Sochi, Russia, stating that he will risk suspension to play for his country even if the NHL is not formally involved.

"Nobody can say to me you can't play for your country in the Olympic Games," Ovechkin told ESPN.com.

"I don't care," Ovechkin continued. "I'll go play in the Olympic Games for my country. If somebody says to me you can't play, see ya."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:51 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Jyrki21 wrote:
TSN wrote:
ESPM.com [sic] is reporting that the reigning Hart Trophy winner plans on participating in the Olympic hockey competition at the 2014 Winter games in Sochi, Russia, stating that he will risk suspension to play for his country even if the NHL is not formally involved.

"Nobody can say to me you can't play for your country in the Olympic Games," Ovechkin told ESPN.com.

"I don't care," Ovechkin continued. "I'll go play in the Olympic Games for my country. If somebody says to me you can't play, see ya."

While this obviously would be a shaft for Caps fans and his teammates I wouldn't really fault him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:55 pm 
No Longer Croozin'

Yeah,I've got to back OV on this one,Good for him!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:04 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Who can blame the guy? And good for him for saying it too. In all honesty if the NHL decides to cease Olympic participation after Vancouver they're a bunch of douchebags anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:49 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

NHL players don't belong in the Olympics. No pros do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:03 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

Olympics are to showcase the best athletes in the world are they not? NHL'ers are the best in the world, well minus the players on the Maple Leafs...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:12 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
NHL players don't belong in the Olympics. No pros do.

Agreed, but it would be a major dick move by Bettman to say the NHL isn't participating anymore just because it's in Russia and not North America. I don't blame Ovechkin one bit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:22 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

MrBumpNgrind wrote:
Olympics are to showcase the best athletes in the world are they not? NHL'ers are the best in the world, well minus the players on the Maple Leafs...

They were to showcase the best amateurs. Pro leagues are the place to showcase pros.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:44 pm 

Jock Rogue-a agrees with Ovechkin.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/n ... cid=rsstsn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:09 pm 
No Longer Croozin'

Chris18 wrote:
MrBumpNgrind wrote:

They were to showcase the best amateurs. Pro leagues are the place to showcase pros.

Actually the Olympics were always supposed to be about the best athletes,When the Olympics were born I don't think there was such thing as Pro or Amateur but somewhere along the way somebody(probably the french)decided to make it about amateur sports.Since then things have obviously changed a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:24 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

how do you seperate Ski Jumpers? Finger Painters? they have their own championship circuit, plus the Olympics every 4 years. Why are they different? because people don't pay as much to go see them? so they are amateurs? since when is a 36 year snowboarder an amateur? and a 23 year old hockey player isn't?

Summer Olympics for Soccer, they just make it so players have to be under the age of 23 or something. I can see hockey going that route, but we already have a U20 tournament.