OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:47 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 9674
Location: 'Real City
Team USA announced: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/o ... 994244001/

I wouldn't say I'm incredibly excited about these scrub teams, but I am a little curious. Is it going to make for lousy hockey? At least it'll break up Canada's horribly suffocating style of hockey, which won them Gold a couple of times but was boring to watch.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:21 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6867
E.L. wrote:
At least it'll break up Canada's horribly suffocating style of hockey, which won them Gold a couple of times but was boring to watch.


Will it? Or will it just be younger kids being indoctrinated into the suffocating style of play?

I for one am glad to see non-NHLers getting a shot at Olympic gold. I think I'm one of 12 people in the world who feel that way. Granted, I don't know most of the US roster, but I like that. I didn't know anybody in 80 or 84 (88?). I got to know them by watching the Olympics. This way, I don't hate half the team because they play for the Rangers, Flyers or some other team I hate.

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:59 pm 
Online
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 20086
Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:
At least it'll break up Canada's horribly suffocating style of hockey, which won them Gold a couple of times but was boring to watch.


Will it? Or will it just be younger kids being indoctrinated into the suffocating style of play?

I for one am glad to see non-NHLers getting a shot at Olympic gold. I think I'm one of 12 people in the world who feel that way. Granted, I don't know most of the US roster, but I like that. I didn't know anybody in 80 or 84 (88?). I got to know them by watching the Olympics. This way, I don't hate half the team because they play for the Rangers, Flyers or some other team I hate.


I think it'll be much more haphazard simply because the kids just don't know that overly-structured style of hockey.

Could be compelling hockey but I just don't know. Such a ragtag bunch of rosters. What kinda irks me is that both the Sledge and Women's teams played second fiddle to the men's even though both of them are much more likely to do more in Pyongchang.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:10 pm 
Online
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 20086
Oh and Avs fandom is having a whole variety of mixed emotions. On one hand, DU captain and last year's WJC hero for the Americans, Troy Terry, is on the team. On the other hand, notable draft bust Ryan Stoa (Avs had two 2nd rounders in 2005, used the first one on him, the second one on Paul Stastny) is also there, and TONY FRICKING GRANATO is the head coach. Yeesh...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 9674
Location: 'Real City
Team Canada

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:33 pm 
Online
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 20086
Great, two other Avs draft busts (Wolski and Elliott).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:53 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9323
Pokecheque wrote:
Great, two other Avs draft busts (Wolski and Elliott).


Wolski wasn't a bust...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/draf ... osition=21

Sort by GP and Points. What percentile do you think qualifies a player as a bust?

His aging curve looks pretty typical, he was just out of the league pretty fast.


Speaking of #21s, I saw Bobby Sanguinetti play one game in junior(big sample size, yeah) with Brampton and wondered how the hell that guy was a 1st rounder. He did play 45 games after all...

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 9674
Location: 'Real City
A lot of guys who were touted as future NHL stars who for a variety of reasons never made it. I kinda like the potential for redemption here. Imagine if Rene Bourque or Gil Brule scores a golden goal?

Shine on, replacement players. Shine on.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:45 pm 
Offline
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:40 pm
Posts: 2142
Juggernaut. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:18 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9323
Of course Brule makes the Olympic team and not Crosby.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:02 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 9674
Location: 'Real City
Bosc wrote:
Of course Brule makes the Olympic team and not Crosby.


:lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 pm 
Offline
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:40 pm
Posts: 2142
Jesus - there are a shit tonne of Canuck cast offs. Not a good sign.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 pm 
Online
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 20086
Whoever the fuck leaked that info about Cale Makar should be banished from Hockey Canada for life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:00 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 9674
Location: 'Real City
Team USA's GM Jim Johannson passed away at 53. Damn.

http://www.usahockey.com/news_article/s ... eferrer_id

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:34 am 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6867
The women's games have been awesome to watch. Not too surprising to see Korea get whooped by the Swiss (8-0). Or Canada stomping the "Olympic Athletes from Russia" (5-0). What a BS name. Should be Olympic Athletes from a Disqualified Nation, to add embarrassment to it. The US pretty much squeaked by Finland, 3-1 with an empty netter. I'd like to see Noora Raty on the Islanders at this point.

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:13 pm 
Offline
King of Men
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:26 pm
Posts: 5853
Location: Left Field
Chris18 wrote:
The women's games have been awesome to watch. Not too surprising to see Korea get whooped by the Swiss (8-0). Or Canada stomping the "Olympic Athletes from Russia" (5-0). What a BS name. Should be Olympic Athletes from a Disqualified Nation, to add embarrassment to it. The US pretty much squeaked by Finland, 3-1 with an empty netter. I'd like to see Noora Raty on the Islanders at this point.


Russian women don't belong in the A pool any longer. That game from the Canadian woman could have easily been 10 or 15 to 0 if it wasn't for that Russian goalie.

_________________
"How shall we, the murderers of all murderers, comfort ourselves?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 am 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6867
harmfuljays wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
The women's games have been awesome to watch. Not too surprising to see Korea get whooped by the Swiss (8-0). Or Canada stomping the "Olympic Athletes from Russia" (5-0). What a BS name. Should be Olympic Athletes from a Disqualified Nation, to add embarrassment to it. The US pretty much squeaked by Finland, 3-1 with an empty netter. I'd like to see Noora Raty on the Islanders at this point.


Russian women don't belong in the A pool any longer. That game from the Canadian woman could have easily been 10 or 15 to 0 if it wasn't for that Russian goalie.


Agreed. But then which team from B would move up? Swedes or the Swiss?

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:49 am 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6867
Canadian women beat Finland 4-1 and the US beat the "OAR" team 5-0. One of Canada's favourite Americans, Jocelyn "one of the Cooke Twins" Lamoureaux sets an Olympic record with 2 goals in 6 seconds.

US vs Canada Wednesday night! Should be fun.

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:48 am 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6867
I can only laugh that the US men blew a 2-0 lead to lose in OT vs Slovenia. Well done boys! :lol: Leaving Mursak wide fucking open in front in OT was obviously brilliant.

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olympics 2018
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 9674
Location: 'Real City
Former 15th overall pick by the Oilers Alex Plante is playing for Team Korea? Sure, why not?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group