OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:02 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Drops a Portland Rosebuds reference for good measure!

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:44 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Thank you! I am so tired of hearing that bullshit spouted all the time.

When I hear someone talk about Original 6 matchups, I think the person is a complete putz, trying to sound like they know what they are talking about and missing by a long shot. This should also be in the Youtube gold thread.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:56 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I always took the term to mean pre-expansion era. But really never gave it much thought, Original six teams are what they are now regardless of how we got to that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:08 pm 
Big in Japan

Bill Daly runs into Gary Bettman's office, holding a tablet.

"Gary! Gary! The NHL was featured on ESPN!"

They excitedly watch the video on the tablet. Upon completion, they both put their heads down. Daly shuffles out of the office.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:31 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:

They excitedly watch the video on the tablet. Upon completion, they both put their heads down. Daly shuffles out of the office.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:23 pm 
OTP Clown

E.L. wrote:

:laap:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:43 am 
King of Men

Hounsy wrote:
I always took the term to mean pre-expansion era. But really never gave it much thought, Original six teams are what they are now regardless of how we got to that.

I would agree....Olbermann is just angry he hasn't been able to grasp that initial high of sports center....

I think it goes without saying Montreal and Toronto are the only "original" teams but you can't have a league with 2 teams. Its pretty clear by the timeline below why they are labeled as such.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:29 am 

Nah, it's just a baby boomer label to make them feel better about their youth. I find the term somewhat disrespectful to the history of the sport, to be honest.

And like Olbermann said, the Maple Leafs aren't really the same club as the Toronto club that was part of the original NHL.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:58 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Well, it's what I grew up with and I'm fine with the term as it is used. No, I don't need it to feel better about my youth nor do I find it in anyway disrespectful to the sport of hockey. I am also well aware of the true history of hockey franchises. I have no problems with those that use the term "Original 6." What does it hurt? Nothing. It's been around for quite a while and hasn't wound anyone up that much before. If someone else doesn't wish to use the term, well, then don't use it. Personally, I still have more feelings of rivalry with the other, "Surviving 6 Teams", if you prefer it that way, than I ever did with some, artificially created, geographic rivalry like the recent Central Division with Columbus and Nashville. They never caught on with me. Now that I only go to a few games a year I only choose Original 6 matchups except for my traditional pre US Thanksgiving night game against Philadelphia. The rest are all "Original 6" starting with Chicago this Friday night. For me it has always been special to go to "Original 6" games. The first game I took my daughter to was Toronto. My first game was at Olympia Arena against Montreal in November, 1964 where I saw the Red Wings with Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay defeat the Canadiens with Jean Beliveau and Henri Richard, 2 - 1. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd love an Original 6 Division in the Eastern Conference. Oh, and fuck Keith Olbermann and his ESPN gang. Like ESPN has ever given two fucks about hockey.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:04 pm 

I don't mind the term "Original Six." It's nothing more than a marketing thing, and that's fine. It's the snobbery that comes with it (not you, Skip, or anyone else on these boards) that bothers me.

Those six teams may not have been the first ones of the modern-day NHL, but they all have a long history. If they want to parlay that into something that brings the league some street cred, so be it. But fuck the notion of some bullshit "Original Six" division.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:35 am 

Av-merican wrote:
But fuck the notion of some bullshit "Original Six" division.

That's just my wildest, favourite NHL hockey dream. I have no expectation of it ever actually happening.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:43 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Portland Rosebuds, Seattle Metropolitans - next expansion teams. :viking: Bring back the PCHA Division.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:24 pm 

RW wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

That's just my wildest, favourite NHL hockey dream. I have no expectation of it ever actually happening.

In the past 40 years of the NHL the Pennsylvania teams are more integral to the league than the Rangers and Blackhawks, really.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:28 pm 

saskhab wrote:
RW wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

In the past 40 years of the NHL the Pennsylvania teams are more integral to the league than the Rangers and Blackhawks, really.

Because the Pennsylvania teams play each other all the time. But really how important was Pittsburgh to the NHL in the pre Lemieux era? Pittsburgh also almost went away permanently pre Crosby. Let Chicago and the Rangers play each other regularly and watch the interest spike and the importance of the rivalry will increase. Keep them separated to playing only 1 or 2 games a year and viola, the matchup has no great interest or importance. What would have happened if Chicago and the Rangers had met in last years SC Finals? I know my idea of an Original 6 Division isn't going to happen, but to try and say it wouldn't create excitement and wouldn't have significant relevance to the NHL isn't being completely honest. As to the Blackhawks and the Rangers, they are two of the biggest markets in the US. Why the NHL keeps them apart is beyond me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:17 am 

Yeah, but let's not pretend that the Rangers haven't been a really miserable franchise for the vast majority of their existence. And the Blackhawks as well. I mean, not one of the O6 franchises considers the Rangers anything more than a secondary rival. The Pennsylvania teams are far more interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:39 am 

saskhab wrote:
Yeah, but let's not pretend that the Rangers haven't been a really miserable franchise for the vast majority of their existence. And the Blackhawks as well. I mean, not one of the O6 franchises considers the Rangers anything more than a secondary rival. The Pennsylvania teams are far more interesting.

Precisely. I think it's quite telling when it's pretty much universally agreed that the "Greatest Ranger of All Time" is Mark Messier, a player who, it could be argued, didn't even play his best hockey in New York.

And apart from a VERY long time ago, when were the Leafs a major part of hockey history. Again, very telling when their Lord and Savio(u)r in modern times was Dougie Gilmour on the wrong side of 30. No offense to Dougie, but it's like the franchise hit a peak then and it's been downhill ever since. What the hell is so illustrious about that!?

I don't see anything about a regular Hawks/Rags matchup that sounds exciting at all. The Rangers to be quite honest, are a pretty fucking boring team. There's no one on that squad I would consider a player I'd pay to go watch. Chicago, on the other hand, has at least a couple. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have a few as well. Now I would absolutely pay to see a Chicago/Pittsburgh tilt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:24 am 

I really didn't want to do this but, I remember when the the Big Bad Bruins and the Jean Ratelle / Brad Park / Eddie Giacomin Rangers were the biggest rivalry in the NHL in the early 1970's. I remember the 1960's Black Hawks as one of the best teams in the NHL. They beat Detroit regularly enough in the playoffs. The bastards. That's the trouble. I remember back into the early 1960's. I think you're a hockey watching child of the late 1980's / early 1990's but I don't really remember how old you are. Do you remember seeing Wayne Gretzky in his heydey with the Oilers? I saw him play with the Greyhounds in Sault Ste Marie back in February, 1978. I remember The great Montreal teams of the 1960's and 1970's. Fuck, I remember the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup regularly. If the Philly / Pittsburgh rivalry is your thing, cool. I just have a different perspective. But you can't tell me that it would not be a good thing for the Original 6 to have their own division again. I was there. I saw it. It worked then. It'll work now. You're a Montreal fan. I would think you'd be giddy at the thought of it. Playing a bunch of Friday / Saturday night home and homes against an 88 (minimum) year old rival, what's not to like? Give me 20 to 25 games against the rest of the Original 6 and I'll be one happy hockey fan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:18 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

But if you have an Original 6 division, then the big rivalries of Rangers vs Isles and Rangers vs Devils pretty much dry up. I do not like it. Sorry Skip.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:04 am 
OTP Clown

We need an original sex division.

They can have a big fucking circle jerk together.

Buttman can be the twink.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:23 pm 
King of Men

It seems rather odd to get all indignant about this as Ooberman did.

Here's a comparison:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_ ... tates_Navy

Just because those are the Original Six Frigates of the US Navy doesn't mean there wasn't other ships before them. But I suppose splitting hairs is all we have at times.

eh....whatever....I'd expect the Puckdaddy to weigh in on this at any time now.