OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NHL/Hockey Books
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:29 pm 
OTP Historian

So my threads on individual topics in the last board didn't go over so well...so I'll try a general one.

Have you guys read books on Past/Present NHL/General hockey topics? Good ones?

Post subject: Re: NHL/Hockey Books
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:23 pm 
OTP Historian

Nobody? :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:59 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I just bot four books at Borders... Sorry, none of them were hockey-related (two by Robert Baer, a book called "Orcs", and a fourth that I don't remember).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:42 pm 
Neck?

Brian McFarlane's The Leafs has interesting stories especially those on King Clancy.

Behind the Bench by Dick Irvin has same great stories from all kinds of coaches including the likes of Grapes, Keenan, Scotty,etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:02 am 
OTP Historian

BLUE wrote:
Brian McFarlane's The Leafs has interesting stories especially those on King Clancy.

Behind the Bench by Dick Irvin has same great stories from all kinds of coaches including the likes of Grapes, Keenan, Scotty,etc.

Cool. I've seen The Leafs, and he wrote one for the Wings as well that I haven't seen in bookstores, so maybe it's out of print...Behind the Bench sounds good.

I just finished up Net Worth. Some interesting stories about Eddie Shore :shock:

If you didn't know when it was written, you'd swear reading the last couple of chapters that it'd have been written the past couple of years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:50 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=389274

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:31 pm 
Loves The Cock

i've read macfarlane's autobiography, i've got a book somewhere on the 100 best current hockey arguments, and i just finished steve babineau's book with stories and pictures from 40 years of him being the bruins' team photographer...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:58 am 
OTP Historian

razzmatazz wrote:
i've read macfarlane's autobiography, i've got a book somewhere on the 100 best current hockey arguments, and i just finished steve babineau's book with stories and pictures from 40 years of him being the bruins' team photographer...

That Bruins one the new one that just came out?

Yeah I got the McCown's Law for Christmas last year. Some decent stuff in there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:30 am 
OTP Historian

BLUE wrote:

I found a used copy of Behind the Bench last night in a store on Yonge Streeet. Thanks for the suggestion!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:58 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I think I might pick up this book:

Review from ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ron/081208

I've read Blink and Tipping Point and enjoyed both... I feel bad for my November-born son, though...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:14 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

"Fishsticks: Fall & Rise of the Islanders" is actually pretty good. So is "Birth of a Dynasty", both by Alan Hahn. Lots of good Milbury stories in Fishsticks.

I've gotten a few of those goofy hockey books for Christmas- "What is the Stanley Cup doing in Mario Lemieux's swimming pool?" and "In the bin". the former is stories from the Stanley Cup celebrations. Pretty neat, though none go in depth enough. The latter is by an NHL official who worked the penalty box for the Ducks. Too many Ducks stories. The best parts are him talking about how the enforcers duke it out, then go to the box & ask how each others' families are, while the camera is showing them, and announcers saying "they're still yapping, maybe they'll go again". Also tells how he felt he deserved an assist for letting Amonte out of the box to send him on a successful breakaway.

I also got one of those encyclopedia of hockey type books- "Hockey Chronicle- year by year history of the NHL". Highlights of each year, Cup winner, Hart trophy winner, etc... Some in depth stories about big let down seasons, Cinderella stories, etc. Stan Fischler is one of the authors, which turns me off a bit. But it's pretty in depth for spanning the history of the league. Published in 2002 I think.

I have "Coaching for Dummies" too. :lol: It had the best descriptions for teaching kids how to skate from scratch. It's actually a pretty good coaching book- for beginner players.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:55 pm 
OTP Historian

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
BLUE wrote:

I found a used copy of Behind the Bench last night in a store on Yonge Streeet. Thanks for the suggestion!

Great read with some hilarious lines! Thanks!

Barry Melrose circa 1993 wrote:
The thing I believe in is getting your team to play hard....I'm a big believer that X's and O's aren't that important in sports. It's mental preparation, it's mental toughness

15 years ago. Only 100-something games ago. So it could explain some things with the Lightning...young players like Stamkos and older players alike need coaches to teach them X's and O's. Motivating players to play hard can only take you so far when you don't have Wayne Gretzky on your team.

I found a Stan Mikita autobiography from 1970, so I'm reading that one now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:33 pm 
OTP Historian

A short but amazing read on the life of a man whose life touched so many others.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:04 am 
He of the red stockings

Bosc, how is a young man such as yourself so thoroughly engrained in the history
of this sport? I feel, to quote Razz, woefully inadequate, and feel you could correct me
on any number of facts concerning the history of the Bruins ( a team I have watched since my youth in the 70s and 80s)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:19 am 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
Bosc, how is a young man such as yourself so thoroughly engrained in the history
of this sport? I feel, to quote Razz, woefully inadequate, and feel you could correct me
on any number of facts concerning the history of the Bruins ( a team I have watched since my youth in the 70s and 80s)

I definitely wouldn't say thoroughly engrained :lol:

I haven't been around long(and following really closely even less because of my age) relative to the league(I'm not an Avs fan so the league did start prior to 1995) and there's a ton of history that I know nothing about, so it's something that I want learn a lot more about. So for a while I've started to go back and read some of the older biographies/autobiographies and books like In The Crease(Dick Irvin) on older events. I read a bunch on the NHLPA/NHL/Eagleson battles, and still have Game Misconduct to read by Russ Conway. There's not a ton of readily available video and many of the older books are out of print with the exception of classics like The Game by Ken Dryden. Used bookstores are awesome for finding out of print books, which is what I've been doing a lot of lately.

I wouldn't be able to correct you on stuff about the Bruins. You've followed em a lot longer and more closely than I have, that's for sure. Searching For Bobby Orr by Stephen Brunt is a good read. I don't have much else on the Bruins other than scattered anecdotes from various books, and stuff about the early years regarding the ownership from Net Worth. That's a must read.

I think pretty much all of the Legends of Hockey profiles are on youtube, and those are generally good watches.

...If you meant thoroughly engrained because of my title of "OTP Historian", that was to do with my ability to remember and pull out long forgotten posts, mostly on Razz :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:20 pm 
He of the red stockings

Well, I was referring to your ability to readily reply on players current and past, who drafted them, what they signed for, etc.
Along with the same line of progressions of owners, GMs, coaches, and of course
that pissing match between Jacobs and Redwings ownership
A lot of the player, coach and GM movement around the league usually slips
my mind within about, oh, 6 days of reading/hearing it :psyduck:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:23 pm 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
Well, I was referring to your ability to readily reply on players current and past, who drafted them, what they signed for, etc.
Along with the same line of progressions of owners, GMs, coaches, and of course
that pissing match between Jacobs and Redwings ownership
A lot of the player, coach and GM movement around the league usually slips
my mind within about, oh, 6 days of reading/hearing it :psyduck:

Oh that, I get made fun of by my family for remembering that kind of stuff and stats :?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:33 pm 
OTP Historian

Man, Net Worth, Defense Never Rests and Brewer's bio(The Power of Two) touched on a lot of the pension stuff with regards to Eagleson, but I had no idea of how much he fucked over the players with respect to disability insurance too. Game Misconduct by Russ Conway goes into detail about a bunch of players and their families who Eagleson completely fucked over on disability insurance as their union head. It also goes into detail about the ridiculous amount of conflicts of interest he engaged in while head of the union.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:09 pm 
OTP Historian

I thought Jacobs had ties to Eagleson and Wirtz in the 80's, but it doesn't look likely that there would have been. When Jacobs had just bought the Bruins in the 70's, Eagle fucked over the Bruins and Jacobs, by not telling Orr about a long guaranteed contract with the potential of a hard cash payout or an 18.5% stake in the Bruins at the end of the contract. Eagleson didn't tell Orr about it, and Eagle went and negotiated a contract with the Hawks. He basically convinced Orr that the Bruins didn't want him anymore, despite the fact that he knew Orr wanted to retire a Bruin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:18 am 
OTP Historian

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
I thought Jacobs had ties to Eagleson and Wirtz in the 80's, but it doesn't look likely that there would have been.

Ahh, nevermind. Jacobs defended the hell out of Eagleson when he met Conway around the time when Eagle was going to be charged. I thought there was something like this and something else too, but couldn't remember what it was.