OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NHL/Hockey Books
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:23 pm 
Sausage of Die Post

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
So my threads on individual topics in the last board didn't go over so well...so I'll try a general one.

Have you guys read books on Past/Present NHL/General hockey topics? Good ones?

I have/had a lot of books. It was very difficult to get them because there was no internet back then. And I think many of them are out of print these days.

The official NHL Stanley Cup Centennial book
The official NHL 75th AnniversaryCommemorative book

A lot of Habs, WHA and OHL stuff including jerseys and video tapes, too. God, it was so expensive to get all this over to Europe back in the early 1990ies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:18 pm 
OTP Historian

deutschlander wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
So my threads on individual topics in the last board didn't go over so well...so I'll try a general one.

I have/had a lot of books. It was very difficult to get them because there was no internet back then. And I think many of them are out of print these days.

A lot of Habs, WHA and OHL stuff including jerseys and video tapes, too. God, it was so expensive to get all this over to Europe back in the early 1990ies.

Holger I didn't realize you were so much of a hockey history buff. Especially with WHA and OHL. You're right, they can still be difficult to find because as you say, with few exceptions(The Game by Dryden, The Game of Our Lives by Peter Gzowski) most of them other than recent stuff is out of print. I imagine even moreso for you because of your location, and as you say before the internet. Even stuff as recent as 2002 are out of print now. I've been finding myself in used bookstores more and more often lately trying to find them.

Did you read The Rebel League from Ed Willes? That's recent and is out in paperback. Great read on the WHA.

Jimmy D's book is great, although there are things that I don't agree with him on of course. It's great to see how passionate the Illitches are, yet they try to be as hands-off as they can when it comes to hockey operations.

Gare Joyce's When The Lights Went Out was a cool read. That's still in print. It's about the '87 World Junior game with the brawl between Canada and Russia.

What are some of your favorites? Have you read anything recent?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:29 pm 
OTP Historian

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
I think I might pick up this book:

Review from ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ron/081208

Anam had to get a couple of books online so I ordered this one as well. It's in queue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:08 pm 
Sausage of Die Post

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
deutschlander wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:

Holger I didn't realize you were so much of a hockey history buff. Especially with WHA and OHL. You're right, they can still be difficult to find because as you say, with few exceptions(The Game by Dryden, The Game of Our Lives by Peter Gzowski) most of them other than recent stuff is out of print. I imagine even moreso for you because of your location, and as you say before the internet. Even stuff as recent as 2002 are out of print now. I've been finding myself in used bookstores more and more often lately trying to find them.

Did you read The Rebel League from Ed Willes? That's recent and is out in paperback. Great read on the WHA.

Jimmy D's book is great, although there are things that I don't agree with him on of course. It's great to see how passionate the Illitches are, yet they try to be as hands-off as they can when it comes to hockey operations.

Gare Joyce's When The Lights Went Out was a cool read. That's still in print. It's about the '87 World Junior game with the brawl between Canada and Russia.

What are some of your favorites? Have you read anything recent?

I'm currently reading books about stocks and trading theories. So, no, I haven't read hockey books recently.

I like the book "Same game, different name" by Jack Lautier and Frank Polnasnek. It's a book about the WHA.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:13 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

This sounds like one I might want to read.

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/8/20/99 ... reaus-book

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:38 pm 
OTP Historian

Re-read The Game recently as I hadn't read it for a while. Also read The Rink by Scott Russel/Chris Cuthbert. Home Rink(Jack Falla). The Home Team(Roy MacGregor).

Got Money Players by Bruce Dowbiggen for $5 and read that.

Reading Yzerman's bio by Douglas Hunter again.

Mom found me a Glenn Hall bio I have to read.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:40 am 

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/28450 ... vival.html

Quote:
It’s shaping up to be another strong year in the hockey book department. Among the subjects to watch for are Theo Fleury’s autobiography, a Jacques Plante expose, Peter Pocklington’s memoirs with a focus on why he’d trade Gretzky all over again, a Gretzky retrospective by Stephen Brunt, Bob McKenzie’s reflections on being a hockey dad, two (count ‘em, two) on why the Maple Leafs have been so stinky for so long, TSN’s 25th anniversary celebratory book and a new take on Rocket Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:02 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://www.behindthenethockey.com/2009/ ... #storyjump

MUST. HAVE. THIS. BOOK.

Quote:
Desjardins: Who was the best goalie of the 1970s? Is this borne out by the stats, like save percentage?

Tremblay: The best goalies of the era were without a doubt Ken Dryden, Bernard Parent and Tony Esposito. All three were dominant for a significant period of time during that span but I think I could even add Jacques Plante to that list. He was at the tail end of his career but he still managed to be one of the best throughout the entire era and to put together two of the best single season performances. If he had been a bit younger, I think we would talking about Plante as being the best of the era. You can see it in his save percentage. Just take a look at what Jacques Plante was able to do so late in his career. I think we were all stunned when Dominik Hasek put together two seasons with the Buffalo Sabres with a 930 save percentage and we know how dominant he was then. Go back another 20 years, and Plante had a save percentage above 940 even though he was 40 years old by then.

It's being confirmed now. Jacques Plante was God. I'm totally picking up the Jacques Plante book (written by a writer at Habsworld.net, T.C. Denault) and this one. And if I'm ever in Sierre, Switzerland, I'm visitng Plante's grave. It's been forever since I read up on the man, and all this 50 years since he donned the mask nostalgia is reminding me of just how awesome he was.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:20 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
http://www.behindthenethockey.com/2009/11/6/1113823/goaltenders-the-expansion-years#storyjump

MUST. HAVE. THIS. BOOK.

Quote:
Desjardins: Who was the best goalie of the 1970s? Is this borne out by the stats, like save percentage?

Tremblay: The best goalies of the era were without a doubt Ken Dryden, Bernard Parent and Tony Esposito. All three were dominant for a significant period of time during that span but I think I could even add Jacques Plante to that list. He was at the tail end of his career but he still managed to be one of the best throughout the entire era and to put together two of the best single season performances. If he had been a bit younger, I think we would talking about Plante as being the best of the era. You can see it in his save percentage. Just take a look at what Jacques Plante was able to do so late in his career. I think we were all stunned when Dominik Hasek put together two seasons with the Buffalo Sabres with a 930 save percentage and we know how dominant he was then. Go back another 20 years, and Plante had a save percentage above 940 even though he was 40 years old by then.

It's being confirmed now. Jacques Plante was God. I'm totally picking up the Jacques Plante book (written by a writer at Habsworld.net, T.C. Denault) and this one. And if I'm ever in Sierre, Switzerland, I'm visitng Plante's grave. It's been forever since I read up on the man, and all this 50 years since he donned the mask nostalgia is reminding me of just how awesome he was.

Looks like a cool read.

The guy who wrote the Plante book is on HF as well. It sounds like a great read as well.

I've got the Sawchuk bio, the Hall bio, and hopefully Chapters will put the Roy bio and Bower autobiography on Clearance sometime in the near future. I've seen a Bernie Parent bio before, but it was a used copy on the expensive side. Not sure if the used bookstore where I found it still has it.

My parents gave me their copy of Dick Irvin's In The Crease, which is pretty cool. Some geat anecdotes

I picked up a copy of Gretzky's Tears with a birthday gift certificate. Haven't read it yet, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:29 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Just checked into this book... sounds like it doesn't have a major publisher backing it. It's selling on his website for $30.88 CDN and then added on $18.11 shipping charges... and it's softcover. Man, that'd suck if that's what my dad (who recently got a book published that he's been writing since I was a kid) is looking at.

Also, Francois Allaire has a book out now, too:

http://www.amazon.ca/Hockey-Goalies-Com ... 167&sr=1-9

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:33 pm 

I guess you can get Straight Shooter: The Brad Park Story for free here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/102282508/Str ... Park-Story