OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:29 pm 
King of the One-Liner

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Good stuff dude, just too bad it couldn't end with a victory...

Was this the league where you split time? Did you get to play the final game? How did you guys decide on playoffs/finals? Whoever's turn it is goes?

We alternated games through round robin and split the final. Funny enough the other goalie was trying to talk me into playing the whole final as I was undefeated in the round robin play and was really zoned in, but he was playing great too so told him we are splitting the game and going with tradition. I think winning would of only netted us two extra beer tickets and one plastic trophy for the team to look at... we got over it pretty quick.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:35 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Good stuff dude, just too bad it couldn't end with a victory...

Was this the league where you split time? Did you get to play the final game? How did you guys decide on playoffs/finals? Whoever's turn it is goes?

We alternated games through round robin and split the final. Funny enough the other goalie was trying to talk me into playing the whole final as I was undefeated in the round robin play and was really zoned in, but he was playing great too so told him we are splitting the game and going with tradition. I think winning would of only netted us two extra beer tickets and one plastic trophy for the team to look at... we got over it pretty quick.

Nice. That's cool that you guys decided to do it that way :)

So for the games you weren't playing were you opening doors or sitting in the sin bin? :D

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:45 am 
King of the One-Liner

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
So for the games you weren't playing were you opening doors or sitting in the sin bin? :D

Behind the bench, yelling out line changes and drawing up X's and O's and everyone wondering who the hell I was(should of wore my mask in hind site) then they would of known. Seriously though I was either behind the bench when not playing or in the stands if someone I wanted to talk to was there. We don't dress when not playing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:56 am 
He of the red stockings

Sweet ... I would have succumbed to the temptation, once the other other goalie made the offer

You never did say who let in the goals .... classy move on your part

I agree with you that I much prefer a group of guys that plays well together over having
a superstar or two. There's a dude that's been skating pickup with us lately that is a dead
ringer for Crosby. The comparison stops there. There's no denying that he has tons of talent
but if he would use the other 4 skaters on the ice, he'd be so much better
He was wearing dark for weeks, and when I walked in tonight and realized I would get to wear
white, I was definitely thinking "at least I don't have to skate with Crosby"
Funny enough, he wore white tonight :argh:
It's the situation where the second he gets the puck, everyone on his team stops skating
Why bother?
He'll try to go end to end, or he'll ice it
If he does pass it, it's last resort and never anywhere near the target
Not like you'd be ready for it ....

My drinking buddy was playing net in the other end, and was stoning Crosby Jr. all night :dance:
Even though he was on my team, every time Kevin shut him down, I pumped my fist
I was pretty obvious about it
I tried the "don't even pass it to him" strategy, but when you're hemmed in and you have
someone hanging on the other teams blueline, it's hard to resist that option
It didn't matter what position he was supposed to be playing, he was hanging in neutral ice
there is a 54 year old crafty dude that skates with us that if we were picking teams, I'd
pick for my team every time before Crosby Jr. He might not be as dynamic a player, but
he understands how to use his teammates in the flow of the game

Last time I played, I scored 5 goals, and I was unsure how much the rookie goalie I was
facing played into that. Tonight I was on his team, and in the early going the kid played
absolutely phenomenal. That made me feel better about it.
Then on my first forward shift, I was breaking in from the left wing side, with a teammate
breaking in off the right wing boards. Normally I try to find any way possible to get the
puck to a teammate coming to the net from the opposite side.
However, the defenseman was playing him, so I decided to shoot ... and score!
No cheapie either, glove side wrister from outside the faceoff circle
Because it was against Kevin, I know it wasn't soft
Besides that, it was a fucking laser beam :quag:
I had one more shot that missed the net, and a wrist shot from the point that was tipped
by the guy that was pressuring me, and fluttered in :quag:
That brings the total to 7 goals on 7 shots on net
I think I'm going to Zwickers on Monday to buy the remaining sticks they have :toot:
Premature...maybe...but so many products are discontinued after I like them
I think I like this stick enough to buy a few backups for the inevitable occurrence of
it being broken. I got slashed across the stick tonight, and was thinking "SHIT, NOT THE STICK"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:43 am 
King of the One-Liner

Well my once a week on the ice has caught up big time...I'm horrible now.

Next week I will be adding a second skate every week though so that should be a big help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:41 pm 
He of the red stockings

Yeah, I've been only able to skate once every other week :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:20 am 
OTP Historian

Younger bro couldn't switch his shift to I played my first game in net after what has to be about 4-5 months and we got fucking shelled like 8-1. Made some good stops, let in some that I should have stopped, and we couldn't score to save our lives.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:13 am 
He of the red stockings

Ouch ... can't recall you ever posting about letting in that many

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 pm 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
Ouch ... can't recall you ever posting about letting in that many

Haven't played much net in the past year or two after moving out on my winter team. Last time would have been in the summer or winter when we were playing with like 7 guys.

The goalie on one of the teams was hurt earlier, re-injured himself, and now I'm in net full time for that team. I don't like leaving my team but the convenor didn't have any goalie options and I agreed as long as the captains were ok with it and my team wasn't going to be left shorthand. I sent an email to my team and they seem ok with it. Everyone knows each other in this league and it's the 5th or 6th season now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:50 pm 
He of the red stockings

Wow, do you know the guys on the team you're now stuck on?
Sounds like an emergency "c'mon we know you play net" save the league deal

and this is really creepy, all these fucking man-nipples :x
like the same person posting over and over and over

I haven't played in a few weeks ... I was pressure washing my deck, and the time
got too close ...rained 20 out of 24 days this month ... finished the deck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:05 am 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
Wow, do you know the guys on the team you're now stuck on?
Sounds like an emergency "c'mon we know you play net" save the league deal

and this is really creepy, all these fucking man-nipples :x
like the same person posting over and over and over

I haven't played in a few weeks ... I was pressure washing my deck, and the time
got too close ...rained 20 out of 24 days this month ... finished the deck

Yeah I know most of the guys. The league has been running for a while and there isn't a lot of turnover, and the teams aren't static. The convener switches things up.

Well, he didn't have much of an option unless he wanted to ask one of the other three to play in net every week, which isn't really a good option. He got another guy on our team who's pretty good, and they won handily last night.

I had a much better game last night than last week, that's for sure. We ended up beating the older bro's team(who were short a few guys and had some decent subs) 3-2. First goal I let in was one our D coughed it up while on the PP, guy came in alone and put it low blocker from my left side. Those are the hardest to stop, but my angles are still a little off as he was a left-hand shot and I moved over a little too much. The second was a point shot where I was screened, couldn't see it at all and stopped the first one along the ice. I never saw it or the rebound that someone put in.

Still fighting the puck a little but that should come back with time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:23 am 
He of the red stockings

Well, the streak is over ... i have finally been stopped by a goalie with my new stick
I think I jinxed myself, as I finally took warm ups for the first time in awhile
The wrist shot still looked sick, but finally getting to take some slap shots ...
Every single slap shot I took was wide to my right (pulled)
The more I tried to aim to my left, the further right the shot went
I was actually drilling bombs into the glass in the right corner, when aiming for
the left corner ... and I don't mean corner of the net :oops:
I was actually laughing my ass off the whole time, how could it be?
How the fuck can I miss the net by 30 feet to the right when I'm aiming left?
Well, maybe the stick's too long ... I think I'm gonna cut a few more inches off
That will also stiffen the shaft a little
I like the reach, and I love the absolutely sick wrist shot, but I've noticed some
difficulties stick-handling at times, and add in the missing the net by 30 feet on slappers...
The reason I bought this stick in the first place was I had no slapper with my other stick
Anyways, I had a few wing-breakaways early on, and I think I was jinxed by that warm-up
performance ... I might have been trying too hard to aim my shots
My first wing-breakaway shot was well wide, the next one I concentrated on putting on net
and hit Kevin's pads square :arghfist:
Another time I tried to one-time a pass that was too hot, and flipped it into the corner :arghfist:
One of my wing breakouts, still affected maybe, I tried a centering feed when I should have shot
(It was blocked of course)
My last wing-breakaway (though still early in the session) I looked to my right and decided
to shoot ... looked top corner and let it rip, without over-aiming it
I saw Kevin's glove flash up, and heard a pop of leather
I said "Nice fucking save dude" ... then Kevin looked in his glove ... no puck
It was in the net ... I was confused ... I swear I saw the puck going to the glove
He said the same thing in the parking lot ... it went through his glove somehow
He figured his glove was coming up , the shot hit the glove and kept going to the corner before he could squeeze it
He made up for it later with an awesome save on me
I took a centering feed in front in tight to my skates, started to pull it forehand ..
changed my mind, thinking "he's gonna be coming across the net" and put it back
on my backhand, firing back towards his glove side (in the opposite direction I was moving)
I was right, but he managed to stretch his left leg out, and kick it into our RW corner
Again I had to say "awesome save,dude", and this time he actually stopped it

After the game I went to the parking lot, and the only guy there said there had just been
a high school rumble in the parking lot overlooking the rinks
At least 50 kids he thought ...he looked towards the building wondering when we'd come out :lol:
He saw blues up the hill, and they all starting scrambling down the rock hill towards the rink
There were some girls with them, and he said most of the girls did face-plants trying to
get down the rock hill ... and their boyfriends just kept going
Some of them left footprints on the girls backs
Stupid high school boys, leaving their pussy behind
And stupid high school girls, probably be right back with them tomorrow :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:23 pm 
Too sexy for his pads

So we had our North Americans in San Jose back in May. We finished last in the round robin cause we were drunk the whole time. Then we played the 4th place team in the quater finals and came back to win in OT down 6-1 with 3min to go in the 2nd period. We won 7-6. Then we played the 1st place team in the semi finals. They were from Saskatoon. Known as the GW Batallion. We beat them 4-3. So we made it to the finals. Wow. We played Torontos' Transmission Depot Redwings. They're an awsome team. We had them tied 1-1 going into the 3rd period. They ended up getting 2 powerplay goals and an emptynetter to take the Championship 4-1. All in all we had an awsome time and almost pulled it out. Next season is right around the corner.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:11 am 
King of the One-Liner

Ah, those teams that save it for elimination rounds. Been on the wrong end of that before and often a contributing factor is your own team taking the other one for granted and not catching on till it's too late to turn it around.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:48 pm 
Too sexy for his pads

The steller goaltending helped too!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:59 pm 
King of the One-Liner

HOLLYWOOD35 wrote:
The steller goaltending helped too!

For me "Steller Goaltending" is just code for opposing shooters going cold and hitting me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:22 am 
He of the red stockings

HOLLYWOOD35 wrote:
So we had our North Americans in San Jose back in May. We finished last in the round robin cause we were drunk the whole time. Then we played the 4th place team in the quater finals and came back to win in OT down 6-1 with 3min to go in the 2nd period. We won 7-6. Then we played the 1st place team in the semi finals. They were from Saskatoon. Known as the GW Batallion. We beat them 4-3. So we made it to the finals. Wow. We played Torontos' Transmission Depot Redwings. They're an awsome team. We had them tied 1-1 going into the 3rd period. They ended up getting 2 powerplay goals and an emptynetter to take the Championship 4-1. All in all we had an awsome time and almost pulled it out. Next season is right around the corner.

Holy fuck, 6 unanswered goals :shock: great series dude (what position do you play?)
one question though - if you finished last in the round-robin, how did you advance?
Or was the round-robin just for seeding purposes?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:04 am 
King of the One-Liner

Hollywood is another goalie...You should just be happy that we talk with you and your kind.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:58 am 
Too sexy for his pads

hipcheck wrote:
HOLLYWOOD35 wrote:

Holy fuck, 6 unanswered goals :shock: great series dude (what position do you play?)
one question though - if you finished last in the round-robin, how did you advance?
Or was the round-robin just for seeding purposes?

There was a 5 team tourny style where each team played 2 games. There wasnt enough time to play a full round robin style so we dint end up playing 2 of the teams. The format was for seeding. We lost the first 2 games 6-1 and 6-0. The first 3 teams advanced to the semi finals where 2nd played 3rd and 1st played the winner of 4th vs 5th place game. So we ended up getting our money's worth playing 5 games in 5 days. The whole format was a bit wierd but there was supose to be 8 teams in our Division so everything was thrown off.

http://ashn-nac.stats.pointstreak.com/p ... sonid=2762

And yes, I play between the pipes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:27 pm 
He of the red stockings

Ah, the only position I've never played (aside from street)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next