OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:53 am 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
good to hear you're feeling spry Hounsy ... good luck in your playoffs

Bosc ... goalie races?

Like this:

One of my brother's buddies is the head of marketing for the OHL Brampton Batallion, so he organized this last year and this year. My two brothers and I, along with a guy who my bro knows who also works for the Batallion do it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:17 am 
He of the red stockings

Holy shit!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
are you in that race?
love how the two goalies who get creamed first (red and powder blue)
end up in first near the end anyways
apparently no rules, as several goalies cut across the front of the net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:40 am 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
Holy shit!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
are you in that race?
love how the two goalies who get creamed first (red and powder blue)
end up in first near the end anyways
apparently no rules, as several goalies cut across the front of the net

Nope, that's not our race. I really need to get both videos. No, there's no rules :lol:

We decide before the race who wins, anyways. I don't know if that's how they do it in the one in the video. The purpose isn't really to win :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:06 pm 
OTP Historian

We won our final round-robin game and played Toronto last night for the Thursday night Finals.

We played a lot better than the last game against Toronto as I expected us to and we pulled out a 2-1 win in the 2nd round of a sudden death shootout. First shooter for both teams scored, Tim followed their guy long enough to make him shoot at the side of the net on their second shooter and our second shooter scored for the win.

In the 5 years since the league started, we've met Toronto every year in the playoffs. The first year, before I joined the team, they beat them in a sudden death shootout. My first year, we lost to them in a sudden death shootout. My second year, we got smoked in the Finals with like 8 skaters. Last year, the first with my younger bro in net and Scotty on the team, we beat them in the semis in like the last couple minutes of the game. This year, shootout win.

We play the winner of Friday next Thursday night.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:57 am 
He of the red stockings

NICE! sounds like you have quite the rivalry going with Toronto
Does it seem like they have the same team pretty much intact?
That usually helps breed rivalry/familiarity/contempt

Skated my 2nd Friday night pickup (but my first skate in over 2 weeks)
This one is run by a guy that used to run a Saturday skate that I used
to pillage players for both of the Acton teams I ran (Smokin' Shamrocks 1 season,
and the oft mentioned Outlaws from '99 to '07/'08)
He actually skated for the Outlaws for one season, and his son was wearing an
Outlaws jersey at the Friday skate a few weeks ago

That first skate a few weeks ago was a little weak - it was great seeing all those
guys and 2 girls from years ago, however so many of them haven't been skating
and it was obvious in their conditioning; after a half hour a lot of the guys were
leaning on their sticks or just flat out congregating/leaning on the boards
I always play to get my money's worth of exercise out of each skate, so I was
flying around - when I realized everyone was exhausted it created a conflict of interest
I didn't want people to think I was trying to show anyone up, but at the same time
I didn't want to just start gliding around - I'm paying to skate, not to glide

tonight's skate was MUCH better - they picked up a few new guys, and the overall
conditioning of the others has notably improved in the couple weeks I missed
I was off my game vision wise (looking up too soon and whiffing the puck a few times)
but skating wise had no problem coming back from the respiratory bug that's sidelined
me the last few weeks
It was nice having active competition for the whole 90 minutes or so we skated
I didn't feel the need to let up, and actually got slightly tired this time ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:55 am 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
NICE! sounds like you have quite the rivalry going with Toronto
Does it seem like they have the same team pretty much intact?
That usually helps breed rivalry/familiarity/contempt

Their team has been more static than ours, actually(I think anyway, I wasn't there for the first year). We've turned over probably half or a little more of our roster since that first year. I signed up as a goalie in the league to play net for the first time in 7 years, and I ended up with the Barley Kings and the old goalie moved to playing forward, and then we lost him. We lost a few other guys to moving. We alos lost a few guys who were really not dependable for making games consistently(which is why we had like 8 guys in the Finals 2 seasons ago), and picked up guys who are there every night(Scott - US679 being one of them and my younger bro going in net and me moving to D). We consistently get 11-12 skaters out, and it's rare when we get less than 10, which is great. Some players may change but the rivalry doesn't.

Quote:
Skated my 2nd Friday night pickup (but my first skate in over 2 weeks)
This one is run by a guy that used to run a Saturday skate that I used
to pillage players for both of the Acton teams I ran (Smokin' Shamrocks 1 season,
and the oft mentioned Outlaws from '99 to '07/'08)
He actually skated for the Outlaws for one season, and his son was wearing an
Outlaws jersey at the Friday skate a few weeks ago

That first skate a few weeks ago was a little weak - it was great seeing all those
guys and 2 girls from years ago, however so many of them haven't been skating
and it was obvious in their conditioning; after a half hour a lot of the guys were
leaning on their sticks or just flat out congregating/leaning on the boards
I always play to get my money's worth of exercise out of each skate, so I was
flying around - when I realized everyone was exhausted it created a conflict of interest
I didn't want people to think I was trying to show anyone up, but at the same time
I didn't want to just start gliding around - I'm paying to skate, not to glide

tonight's skate was MUCH better - they picked up a few new guys, and the overall
conditioning of the others has notably improved in the couple weeks I missed
I was off my game vision wise (looking up too soon and whiffing the puck a few times)
but skating wise had no problem coming back from the respiratory bug that's sidelined
me the last few weeks
It was nice having active competition for the whole 90 minutes or so we skated
I didn't feel the need to let up, and actually got slightly tired this time ;)

Great to hear you're out getting some skating in :) Have you seen any game action for a long time?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:31 pm 
He of the red stockings

No, not since I played one game for Commonwealth Motors in December :(
I still have the Saturday night skate which is more competitive than Fridays
but not like game action

It's good that you finally weeded out the undependable skaters
Are you playing 12 min. periods? I always preferred 10 skaters or less
in those rules - though if your playing D, it doesn't affect you as much
seeing as you probably still go with 4 D anyways

My first season in Hennicker, NH (('92?) we played 15 min. periods and ran 3
lines of forwards, but it was cool - the extra 3 minutes took away the loss
of ice time, especially since I was skating on the top line as the "road grader"
for my two talented line-mates :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:59 am 
King of the One-Liner

Shut out the team that tied for first tonight in round robin play, we also could not score. Slight moral victory and keeps us alive for a finals berth with two round robin games left...but we do need to run the table and one of the teams is the other tied for first team. Through Five game we have given up five goals, bettman would be making rule changes by now if he ran our league.

Watching the video back after I am really happy with my game right now. Ceaser Milan style, calm and assertive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:58 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Shut out the team that tied for first tonight in round robin play, we also could not score. Slight moral victory and keeps us alive for a finals berth with two round robin games left...but we do need to run the table and one of the teams is the other tied for first team. Through Five game we have given up five goals, bettman would be making rule changes by now if he ran our league.

Watching the video back after I am really happy with my game right now. Ceaser Milan style, calm and assertive.

Good luck, dude!

We beat the Friday night champs, the Rangers, for the second year in a row in the Thursday-Friday Finals. Same score as last year, 5-0. Great game all around. We play tomorrow afternoon against the Monday-Wednesday champ for the MAHL crown.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:45 am 
He of the red stockings

Bought a new stick and finally got to test it out Saturday night
After I switched from aluminum back to wood in the '90s, I used the
Sherwood 5030 for years, and had my best results
It remains my favorite stick I've used, but since I was breaking one every
other game the cost got to be too much - even at the $20+ it was then
I used the Synergy when it first came out, and that wasn't bad
I didn't like it as much as the Sherwood, but it was pretty decent feel wise
a lot of composites I had tried, I hated intensely because of the feel
It lasted about a season and a half, or about 15 Sherwoods ( $375 )
At $140, that was a good tradeoff
When it broke, I cut off the end and put a wooden blade on it, and liked it better :cheers:
Eventually though, it lost it's recoil, and I was hoping it would break - which it eventually did
I tried a few different sticks that I hated, and eventually found a Branches aluminum for $10
Yup that's not a misprint - $10, blade included
I didn't like it too much, and after I broke my 3rd blade, I retired it
Mostly cuz, the night I broke it, I used my backup which was a $35 Rebellion
I had bought it, used it once in warmups a few years ago, and quickly dismissed it
now using it in pickup, I suddenly liked it
I had NO slapshot whatsoever with it, but the wristshot and snapshot were pretty good
Eventually though, the lack of slapshot power prompted me to consider going back to
my favorite ... the Sherwood 5030

However, the day I was at Zwickers, they didn't have the model I wanted ...
but they DID have this one...
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sherwood-ho ... cc-sr.html

I was intrigued ... a composite that looks (and hopefully FEELS) like a wood
since they didn't have the wooden model I wanted, I bought the 5030 cc ($90)
turns out that's a good price, because at hockeymonkey I'd have paid more once the
shipping was included.

That weekend, hockey was cancelled ... FUCK
This weekend, I finally got to use it, but I was a little late so no warmup test :doh:
I don't remember how long it took, but I do know I scored on my first shot with it
Centering feed from left wing boards, one-time chip shot from about 15 ft., top corner glove side
total tally for the night was 5 goals on 7 shots (and those 2 missed the net, so technically, it was 5 for 5 :cheers: )
I don't think I've ever scored 5 goals in a night, even in pickup ( much less on 7 shots)
granted, they were Ken Hodge Jr. type goals (string all 5 end to end, they might clear the faceoff circle)
But they say that's where the goals are had, right near the crease
The 3rd goal actually required some deftness
I was gliding backwards in front, from goalies left to right (I'm a lefty)
the pass came from the right wing corner, and I had to reach out to trap it on the backhand
I redirected it towards me, but instead of shooting forehand shortside, I reached it back out
on my backhand as the goalie cane sliding across, and buried it far side
Yeah, I was happy with that one ... especially the velocity I got on the backhand
The 4th one was strange, I curled off the boards at the top of the RW circle, and tried
to pass it to a teammate at the far post ... he said he never touched it, just went in

The 5th was the best for last ... I was fighting for the puck along the RW boards in our
zone, pushed the opponent's hooking stick back in his face, he grabbed my stick, I kicked
the puck out of the zone, pulled my stick free and moved the puck ahead, ducked the charge
coming from another player while chopping the former players slashing stick out of his hands
then proceeded to race up the RW side going one on one with their gargantuan D man
He made me go way wide, but I turned him at the goal line, set my heels and wheeled back
out in front, and went across the front of the net, drilling my shot 5-hole as the goalie
slid across to follow me

I think I like this stick :cheers:

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:45 pm 
OTP Historian

Sounds like a good one, Hip!

Hmm, thought I posted about our Finals. We played against a team with a bunch of good young guys we know. It was a great game. Fast, lots of action, great goaltending. It ended up tied at 2 after regulation and OT. Shootout time! A couple of posts and 6 shooters later, I'm the 7th guy to go for our team. I walk in and try to go top glove because almost everyone has tried to deke. I get enough on it but not high enough, the goalie gets a piece and it goes up in the air behind him and he reaches out to catch it. Then they went and scored on the little bro. Not a great shootout day for the 2 Johnston boys :( Ah well, it was a fun, clean game and could have gone either way :D

Summer hockey's started and the younger bro and I are 3-0 to start. I may have to switch teams and go in net, giving the league a Johnston goalie on 3/4 teams. I usually play out in this league but played one year in net.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:27 am 
He of the red stockings

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Sounds like a good one, Hip!

Hmm, thought I posted about our Finals. We played against a team with a bunch of good young guys we know. It was a great game. Fast, lots of action, great goaltending. It ended up tied at 2 after regulation and OT. Shootout time! A couple of posts and 6 shooters later, I'm the 7th guy to go for our team. I walk in and try to go top glove because almost everyone has tried to deke. I get enough on it but not high enough, the goalie gets a piece and it goes up in the air behind him and he reaches out to catch it. Then they went and scored on the little bro. Not a great shootout day for the 2 Johnston boys :( Ah well, it was a fun, clean game and could have gone either way :D

Summer hockey's started and the younger bro and I are 3-0 to start. I may have to switch teams and go in net, giving the league a Johnston goalie on 3/4 teams. I usually play out in this league but played one year in net.

I thought you had as well, but then realized I had missed the last line about playing the
Monday-Wednesday champs ... tough way to lose, but at least you made it to the shootout

hmmm, looking back at these posts, I wonder how Hounsy did in his round robin

I remember there used to be a thread on equipment, or maybe it was just goalie equipment
anyways, I'd be curious what sticks/ pads, etc. you'all use
Through one night of pickup, I'd vouch for the 5030cc (though I think I'll cut it down)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:50 am 
OTP Historian

Twigs? I pretty much use Easton. I've had a few different shafts and Synergys, but right now I've got a Synergy II shaft(tapered, uses the Synthesis blades, they might be renamed now too) and a couple of Sakic Synthesis Si-Core blades. I still have a couple of Synergy shafts that I broke and cut down to use for shafts. I just don't have any regular blades for them, only the tapered ones.

I had an Rbk 7k stick that I got for Christmas one year and I loved that stick.

Goalie sticks are Rbk 6k sticks which I don't think Don Simmons(huge goalie store) sell anymore. I have a Giguere that's lasted forever and a Kolzig that hasn't been used yet since my Giguere is seemingly invincible. I've got a Bauer composite one too but I'm not a huge fan of it so I haven't used it for a while. It's one of the cheaper ones at $130. With a good wood goalie stick costing anywhere from 80-110, I thought it'd be worth it to try it out.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:39 pm 
He of the red stockings

Wow, $80-$100 for a wood ... glad again I'm not a goalie
With the way the composites seem to shatter/snap, I'd be leery
of a composite goalie stick, especially for rebound control

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:01 am 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
Wow, $80-$100 for a wood ... glad again I'm not a goalie
With the way the composites seem to shatter/snap, I'd be leery
of a composite goalie stick, especially for rebound control

Goalies don't exactly bend their sticks taking shots like players do ;) When I bought it I said that the rebounds would be coming off of my stick faster than the original shots were :D

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:13 am 
King of the One-Liner

Hey forgot about this,

We lost in the finals 3-2 to one of the teams tied for the regular season points lead. We exceeded expectations and where MUCH older and slower that the team that barely took us out. Good season and enjoyed that team greatly as it was a "sum of the parts" group with no too offensive weapons.

I use foam core Sherwoods in a Gerber pattern right now. I buy my sticks of E-bay in three packs and can normally get them around $50-60 a stick and the foam cores seem to last me. Wood goal stick I seem to destroy way to fast maybe a month and I seem to break them for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:15 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Wood goal stick I seem to destroy way to fast maybe a month and I seem to break them for some reason.

The 6k premiers can take many post-goal beatings on the post and crossbar. I highly recommend.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:28 am 
King of the One-Liner

Deals like these are always on E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-4-Pack-Sherwood- ... 3:1|294:50

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:35 pm 
He of the red stockings

BoscUlrichIII wrote:

The 6k premiers can take many post-goal beatings on the post and crossbar. I highly recommend.

:lol:

bummer on the loss Hounsy, but at least you took'em to the wire

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:36 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
We lost in the finals 3-2 to one of the teams tied for the regular season points lead. We exceeded expectations and where MUCH older and slower that the team that barely took us out. Good season and enjoyed that team greatly as it was a "sum of the parts" group with no too offensive weapons.

Good stuff dude, just too bad it couldn't end with a victory...

Was this the league where you split time? Did you get to play the final game? How did you guys decide on playoffs/finals? Whoever's turn it is goes?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next