OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:39 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012/06 ... gn=twitter

I posted this on FB too...interesting stuff coming out of Littleton. This guy's got an artificial ice treadmill and claims it'll not only teach you a better skating technique, but also leave you better conditioned since you have to work harder.

My main concern about artificial ice is that it's gotta be murder on skate blades due to the increased friction. Also...artificial ice? Ehhhh...just doesn't seem right to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:42 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I've read in several places that skates need to be sharpened 2-3 times more often on artificial ice due to the increase friction. Sounds like a lot of wear & tear, but, if it helps teach better technique & works for training, then it sounds like a good tradeoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:45 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I've read in several places that skates need to be sharpened 2-3 times more often on artificial ice due to the increase friction. Sounds like a lot of wear & tear, but, if it helps teach better technique & works for training, then it sounds like a good tradeoff.

I was like huh? Until I read the article. They're talking about synthetic ice, artificial is what 99% of you skate on in an arena (refrigeration unit underneath) Natural ice (lakes, rivers, outdoor Canadian rinks) is usually harder on blades. The cold makes the ice harder dulling the blades.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:34 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I was like huh? Until I read the article. They're talking about synthetic ice, artificial is what 99% of you skate on in an arena (refrigeration unit underneath) Natural ice (lakes, rivers, outdoor Canadian rinks) is usually harder on blades. The cold makes the ice harder dulling the blades.

Aaaaaaaaaand the new owner of the "Forum Pedant" title iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis...... Fogghorn!

But I did find out recently that most ARTIFICIAL ice is made using salt water, due to the lower freezing temp. Explains the differences in ice hardness at various rinks near each other. Different water salinity and other impurities.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:08 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Hey, growing up there were both natural and artificial ice rinks. I'm with Fogg on this one. Natural rinks were cold, covered structures in small towns attached to a heated building (like playing in a garage without heat). My dad was the only dude badass enough to cheer rinkside at games, the rest of the parents were all being pussies and behind the net inside.

The bigger towns had artificial ice, where the temperature just off the ice was good and people sat in the stands fairly comfortably.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:43 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Hey, growing up there were both natural and artificial ice rinks. I'm with Fogg on this one. Natural rinks were cold, covered structures in small towns attached to a heated building (like playing in a garage without heat). My dad was the only dude badass enough to cheer rinkside at games, the rest of the parents were all being pussies and behind the net inside.

The bigger towns had artificial ice, where the temperature just off the ice was good and people sat in the stands fairly comfortably.

Growing up I played on natural ice- called ponds. We called it "pond hockey". :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:18 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Aaaaaaaaaand the new owner of the "Forum Pedant" title iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis...... Fogghorn!

But I did find out recently that most ARTIFICIAL ice is made using salt water, due to the lower freezing temp. Explains the differences in ice hardness at various rinks near each other. Different water salinity and other impurities.

Figure skating also has a different ideal ice temperature, so if there is figure skating at different rinks, they might keep the ice temp different.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:43 pm 

Just looked into putting a synthetic rink in the backyard. :shock: Sticker shocked, to say the least. The surface would cost almost $6k for a 20'x30' rink, and that's not including shipping, any tax, or any framing/boards. Holy crap. I just realized that's almost $10/sq ft. Whoa.