OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: goalie questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:51 pm 
King of the One-Liner

some people freeze up in anticipation for the shot when standing still. May have issues seeing the release. Just thought maybe some conditioning by constant repeating the scenario that locks her up would help break it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:32 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hounsy wrote:
some people freeze up in anticipation for the shot when standing still. May have issues seeing the release. Just thought maybe some conditioning by constant repeating the scenario that locks her up would help break it.

And you're probably right. I'll keep having her move around and repeat butterfly moves.
And you may be on to something accidentally or not: She wears glasses into the rink but not on the ice. I will have to ask about her vision. I had a goalie in high school who was incredible in close but would allow goals on all long shots. After another team figured it out they scored TWO goals on him in one game- from BEHIND the RED LINE. Their goalie actually tried a shot but it went wide. After that game he put on his glasses and we all freaked out on him. Of course it was with like 2 games left in the season.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:44 am 

Glasses are for reading only. She's been playing really well lately. Had an issue with turning her body to follow the puck, but not moving side-side in the crease. Team is 5-3, after starting 0-2. :)

I haven't even had time to open the goalie coaching book. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:02 pm 

Goalie on my daughter's team is a complete rookie. First year playing hockey, first year at goalie in any sport. He's a very good athlete (baseball, football, basketball), and is doing well for a rookie.

But one of the other coaches, a guy I am not a fan of, was telling him to keep his glove down. This guy has 2 kids who play goalie. Wasn't glove-down like a 70s idea? When the windmill glove save was neat looking (partially because it was rarely successful)? I told the kid to keep his glove up, like every other modern goalie I see. I'll admit I'm no goalie coach, but that seems to be the way to go. Right goalie dudes?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:06 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Goalie on my daughter's team is a complete rookie. First year playing hockey, first year at goalie in any sport. He's a very good athlete (baseball, football, basketball), and is doing well for a rookie.

But one of the other coaches, a guy I am not a fan of, was telling him to keep his glove down. This guy has 2 kids who play goalie. Wasn't glove-down like a 70s idea? When the windmill glove save was neat looking (partially because it was rarely successful)? I told the kid to keep his glove up, like every other modern goalie I see. I'll admit I'm no goalie coach, but that seems to be the way to go. Right goalie dudes?

Depends on how high the kids can shoot :lol: But yeah, generally higher, not lower. How high/low are we talking?

We make fun of my younger brother because he almost rests his glove behind the front of his pad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:35 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Depends on how high the kids can shoot :lol: But yeah, generally higher, not lower. How high/low are we talking?

We make fun of my younger brother because he almost rests his glove behind the front of his pad.

Bantams (13-14 years old), who can mostly roof shots. So it should be up. I feel like an idiot asking that question, because it was always so obvious to me, but this guy has 2 kids who play goalie. One of them is pretty darn good. Obviously she's ignored her idiot father's advice.
The guy wanted him to keep his glove down by his left knee. I hadn't seen anything like it in decades. When the rookie goalie's father asked him about it, Mr goalie coach told him "glove up is the European style. We don't do that here in the US." :wth: But the other coach & I told the kid to ignore anything that guy says from now on, and we're banning him from the ice. Amazing.
And thanks Jeff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:35 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Bantams (13-14 years old), who can mostly roof shots. So it should be up. I feel like an idiot asking that question, because it was always so obvious to me, but this guy has 2 kids who play goalie. One of them is pretty darn good. Obviously she's ignored her idiot father's advice.
The guy wanted him to keep his glove down by his left knee. I hadn't seen anything like it in decades. When the rookie goalie's father asked him about it, Mr goalie coach told him "glove up is the European style. We don't do that here in the US." :wth: But the other coach & I told the kid to ignore anything that guy says from now on, and we're banning him from the ice. Amazing.
And thanks Jeff.

:lol: Turning it into a US vs. European thing?

It can be a strength/comfort thing as well. Holding it higher up can sometimes make it harder to bring it up further. Some people find it easier to bring it up from a lower position. I think I actually tend to drop my glove before I bring it up. I never practice and don't play in net often enough anymore to figure out if it's ideal for me. You can work with him to see how he reacts and gets his glove up. However, if he's a rookie then you'll probably be more focused on skating and angles, movement and positioning anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:47 am 
King of the One-Liner

The thing to watch with snap shots of pros is the glove and other stuff can move based on where the puck is and how they are moving and many actually don't move into a final positional stance until the moment of shot anticipation. As well pretty sure that picture of Price is the start of him dropping to butterfly or looking for a lower view as he tends to play more upright than that.

My preference is the Capitals goalie picture for glove height. Though I'd actually if I was a goalie coach I'd stress the glove being forward more than the height as different height positions seem to work but glove back with the torso is a common mistake and never a good one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:07 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
The thing to watch with snap shots of pros is the glove and other stuff can move based on where the puck is and how they are moving and many actually don't move into a final positional stance until the moment of shot anticipation. As well pretty sure that picture of Price is the start of him dropping to butterfly or looking for a lower view as he tends to play more upright than that.

My preference is the Capitals goalie picture for glove height. Though I'd actually if I was a goalie coach I'd stress the glove being forward more than the height as different height positions seem to work but glove back with the torso is a common mistake and never a good one.

Pretty sure he's got his glove out in front, but I don't know that I've ever thought about glove position in regards to in front/even with torso. Curious- what's the reason for that?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:14 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Pretty sure he's got his glove out in front, but I don't know that I've ever thought about glove position in regards to in front/even with torso. Curious- what's the reason for that?

Better angle coverage along with seeing the puck in and more importantly off the glove.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:42 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Better angle coverage along with seeing the puck in and more importantly off the glove.

Thanks! I'll be sure to say that tomorrow as if I've known it for years. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:39 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Thanks! I'll be sure to say that tomorrow as if I've known it for years. ;)

Confidence-inspiring!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:22 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Some things you never think about when you're not a goalie.

From Friedman:

Quote:
24. Reese didn’t want to discuss technical changes he made with either goalie. But, he did admit — under fierce questioning — that Niemi is working on something the Sharks privately complained about. Niemi would not anchor his skate to the post, so his push-off was not as strong. San Jose wanted him to adjust that, but it was never done to the organization’s satisfaction.

Reese said they are trying the “Reverse VH” technique, which places the skate directly against the pole. “He enjoys it. He’s an interesting guy, always tinkering. Powerful, bigger than you think. He’s got long arms and long legs, can use them to really push. In the past, he got in trouble pushing too far. We’re cleaning that up a little bit.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:49 am 
King of the One-Liner

Haha "Reverse VH"

Want proof it's a big man's position now. At 5'10" even against my beer league caliber shooters both this and standard VH get me lite up top corner and though I attempted trying both in my game couple years ago they have been abandoned other than wraparounds.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:15 pm 

I assume we're not talking Van Halen here?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:47 pm 
King of the One-Liner

one pad is vertical one pad is horizontal

VH

Reverse VH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:35 pm 
OTP Historian

Full Bosc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:29 pm 

Ah, the FB position. Gotcha. But the puck is in the crease, not the net on that one.

And thanks for the VH explanation. :)