OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skate sharpeners?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:22 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Anybody know of skate sharpeners available for residential purchase? I know of Wissota, which looks pretty good and reasonably priced ($825). I'm just wondering if these are more popular/available in Canada or anything like that.
The Blackstone ones look great, but I don't need a $3k machine.

And I mean grinding machines, not hand-held stones.

Skate sharpening has gone up to $5/pair around here at the cheap place ($7-$10 elsewhere). Three of us play and my wife wants to start after the backyard rink goes in (which will also probably increase the need for more frequent sharpening). So sharpening costs are getting up there.

Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: skate sharpeners?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:47 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Not that anyone gives a shit, since there have been no replies in 5 years (:lol:), but I've had my Wissota sharpener for those 5 years and it's awesome.
I see some new ones on the market now, like the Sparx one, which costs about the same as the Wissota, and does not require the user to do anything besides set the # of passes they want. One big disadvantage I see on that one is those tiny sharpening stones don't look like they'll last too long, and I don't know the replacement costs, but I doubt they're free. I haven't replaced anything on my Wissota yet! Not even the stone. I'm pretty sure it's paid for itself by now.

Just figured I'd update this, as a few friends have asked my opinion on the Sparx ones lately.