(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: USA Hockey
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:58 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Dear USA Hockey,

Fuck you.

You can't keep shortening certification durations on coaches. It's obvious you are just trying to milk coaches, many of whom volunteer. You're not going to force people into being better coaches by making them take more classes. You're just going to annoy and price good people out of volunteering.

Signed,
Grumpy Coach whose Level 3 cert was once good for life, not 3 and now 2 years.

Post subject: Re: USA Hockey
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:06 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Agreed. Mine was cert for life waaaay back in my teenage years. They don't realize a lot of us will actually go to these things VOLUNTARILY year after year so long as they keep them interesting. Back when I went to them they actually did a great job at getting great coaches (usually collegiate/high school, whatever the case very experienced) to run them.

Money ruins everything.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:09 am 

I went to Level 3 voluntarily, and had even thought of Level 4. But that was when it was for life. This is just BS, because it seems to me that Level 4 won't be "for life" within a few years.

I get the age specific training that is now mandatory, but I find it annoying that it's $10 for each age group. And 5 hours. That's a bit much. It's not going to break the bank, but it's just another cash grab. And what does USA Hockey supply for that? Insurance, which is supposedly paid for by the $33 annual membership that all players, refs & coaches have to pay.

I think being based in MN slants their views. They see a lot of paid coaches for youth teams and assume the whole nation is like that. It isn't. My organization doesn't give me a discount on my kids' reg fees, doesn't reimburse me for USA Hockey membership, coaching clinics or anything else. If they keep raising fees & adding more requirements like this, I'll quit coaching. And that would suck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:33 am 
King of Men

Its the same thing with US Lacrosse......yearly dues or your Coach Cert expires. Its a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:54 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Its the same thing with US Lacrosse......yearly dues or your Coach Cert expires. Its a joke.

How much is that? And do you have take a course every year?
I don't mind the $33/year for membership. But these courses every 2 years now.... BS cash grab.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:34 am 
King of Men

Its $50 a year and I have taken both the Level 1 and 2 Certs. US Lacrosse doesn't require you take them however Rec Leagues usually require you to. I am currently out of a team after telling the league I am a volunteer and I don't pick up trash. So I would say my coaching days are pretty much over.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:21 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Its $50 a year and I have taken both the Level 1 and 2 Certs. US Lacrosse doesn't require you take them however Rec Leagues usually require you to. I am currently out of a team after telling the league I am a volunteer and I don't pick up trash. So I would say my coaching days are pretty much over.

I've had to tell parents to pick up the trash their kids leave. "I spend enough time teaching your kids the game. It's your job to teach them to not be pigs. And I am not picking anything up, because my kid doesn't litter. Even she called your kid a dirtbag."