OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:35 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I'm trying to teach players who have never played any organized hockey before where they should be. This is for inline hockey, with 4 players + 1 of those "goalie" things per team.

I always instruct my ice hockey players that if they are either wing, or D, they go no farther than the opposite goal post. For example the right wing only goes as far left as the left goal post. This keeps them from getting too far out of position and reduces bunching up. However, this includes having a center to go help dig for the puck along the boards. Inline looks to me like you basically don't have a center, other than during faceoffs. Thus, nobody to help dig for the puck by my usual method.

I thought of having the weak side D drop into the slot and have both forwards go to the corner, but this is exposing our D too much. We are pretty much running a 2-2 system in both zones. Would a diamond be more successful? Like a 1-2-1?

Anybody have a better idea, or the correct positioning for 4 on 4?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:05 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The way we had our forwards do it in inline is have one guy do the digging down low and have the other in the slot, high or low depending on the player and where the play was happening. I guess we kinda played it like a PK is on ice really, one guy forechecks hard, the other stays back a bit in case he needs to backcheck. Having a guy in the slot is mega-importante in inline 4-on-4 since a pass to the slot intercepted usually means a breakaway the other direction. I assume your rink is a tad smaller than regulation like the one I played on was.

Basic rule with D was that if one (or even two) jumped into the play, someone had to drop back to cover him/them. It helped to have a guy like me who didn't have much in the way of offensive skill. :lol:

We never really bothered with left side/right side up front, it just sort of worked itself out. I don't know if you can do that with guys who don't have much playing experience, but it seemed to work out for us okay. We were much more stringent when it came to sides on D though.

All due respect, don't do a diamond. The box is easy to teach and it allows for you to always have two men at the point on the attack and always covering the opposition's points when in the d-zone. The guy at the high point of the diamond better be damned good and NEVER fumble the puck/ball, or else you're screwed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:18 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Good points. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:55 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Good points. Thanks.

I should add we switched off between forecheck/slot depending on where the play went, it's not like we had one guy just stand in the slot the whole time.