OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:56 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9613
1-1-2 this summer so far, 9 goals given up(3-3,1-1,5-1,1-4). Been playing consistently well every game and I'm happy with it, even with a 4-1 loss last game where I had a ton of shots and lots of difficult stops.

Made two glove saves on the same shot last night :lol: Guy tried to go glove but I got it up and got a good piece, the puck was floating towards the top corner and I immediately swung the glove up again to catch it. I have no idea how I managed to do that.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:17 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7286
I would compliment you, but I've been robbed similarly by (begins sneer & imitates Clint Eastwood's voice) goalies. :argh:

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:44 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7286
Just won our league championship. :yayyy:

First 3 playoff games went to OT (one was double OT). Got our moneys' worth. :D

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:35 am 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5037
Location: Too deep in crease.
Congrats on the victory!

Nice to see a beer league that keeps playing. Around here with ice time constraints you normally see five minutes OT and then a shoot out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:30 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9613
I had the day off yesterday and decided to go play pickup and try out my new skates. Nobody likes to play pickup without 2 goalies so I filled my car with both sets of gear. Sure enough, there was only one goalie so I didn't get to try out the new skates :x

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 am 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5037
Location: Too deep in crease.
But it's nice to be wanted.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:21 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9613
Hounsy wrote:
But it's nice to be wanted.


But they only want me to use me.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:47 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7286
Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
But it's nice to be wanted.


But they only want me to use me.


And you let them. Don't you feel dirty?

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:12 am 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5037
Location: Too deep in crease.
But we get all the free ice time we want as goalies. It feels more like prostitution than dirty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7286
Hounsy wrote:
But we get all the free ice time we want as goalies. It feels more like prostitution than dirty.


Found out the other day the bastards who run my local rink are charging goalies for pick-up games. No wonder we're shooting on empty nets. :chris18: Who charges goalies for pick-up games? Morons, that's who!

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:51 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9613
Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
But we get all the free ice time we want as goalies. It feels more like prostitution than dirty.


Found out the other day the bastards who run my local rink are charging goalies for pick-up games. No wonder we're shooting on empty nets. :chris18: Who charges goalies for pick-up games? Morons, that's who!


I have no problems paying to play in net. I'm on the ice just like everyone else so why shouldn't I? If they don't charge me fine but having to pay won't dissuade me from going over for pick-up, it's like $6 bucks here. It's nice not to have to shell out $15+ for rented ice though.

Had my first bad game of the summer on Wednesday. It took until our 7th game so that was good and we lost 6 or 7-1 so it wasn't like I cost us a win. Shoulda had a couple, puck took some crazy bounces on rebounds from shots in the slot and they always had 3 guys around the net so that's how it goes.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:44 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7286
It's $10 here, and runs 6- 7:30 AM. It used to be free for goalies. Maybe they got spoiled, but few, if any, are showing up now. :x

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:24 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9613
Tonight'll be the 3rd week in a row playing 2 games in one night in my summer league. Been getting shelled lately. Feels like everything is going in even though I'm making stops. So many breakaways and odd man rushes. They moved some people around from the powerhouse teams and made no changes to hours. We haven't had our full lineup all the time which doesn't help.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:32 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7286
Bosc wrote:
Tonight'll be the 3rd week in a row playing 2 games in one night in my summer league. Been getting shelled lately. Feels like everything is going in even though I'm making stops. So many breakaways and odd man rushes. They moved some people around from the powerhouse teams and made no changes to hours. We haven't had our full lineup all the time which doesn't help.


Sounds like someone on your team pissed off the commissioner. At least that stuff happens in my league. Miraculously, the league commissioner plays in the league, and just happens to ref his next opponents' games... Advance scouting? Nah. Total coincidence!

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:18 pm 
Offline
He of the red stockings
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:19 pm
Posts: 1396
Chris18 wrote:
It's $10 here, and runs 6- 7:30 AM. It used to be free for goalies. Maybe they got spoiled, but few, if any, are showing up now. :x


I would never charge the goalies, pickup or league. You can't play without them. Well you can, but it rarely woks out well ...

I played for a team in a league run by a company, randomly picked supposedly. They were charging goalies half price, and let me tell you,there were a lot of crappy goalies in that league :laugh:
Our goalie wasn't bad, and he also told them no when they asked him to pay. Yay...they never did make him leave, and we won the championship
hmmm makes me wonder how fair that was


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:09 am 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5037
Location: Too deep in crease.
hipcheck wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
It's $10 here, and runs 6- 7:30 AM. It used to be free for goalies. Maybe they got spoiled, but few, if any, are showing up now. :x


I would never charge the goalies, pickup or league. You can't play without them. Well you can, but it rarely woks out well ...

I played for a team in a league run by a company, randomly picked supposedly. They were charging goalies half price, and let me tell you,there were a lot of crappy goalies in that league :laugh:
Our goalie wasn't bad, and he also told them no when they asked him to pay. Yay...they never did make him leave, and we won the championship
hmmm makes me wonder how fair that was


I play a ton of pick up for free and will accept one free beer sometimes after the skate, but would rather be an equal partner for teams and tournaments. Nothing wrong with those that don't pay, it just feels weird and wrong to me in a team environment not doing everything the same way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:37 pm 
Offline
He of the red stockings
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:19 pm
Posts: 1396
I guess part of it is the cost of goaltender's gear, along with the urgent to have at least 1 for a team, and 2 for pick-up
In each case I always had a list of goalies in my roster book, and it would be much shorter if I was charging goalies
It's just very rare for this area to hear of it. Goalies can skate for free at so many locations, it's kinda hard to realistically charge them


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:48 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9613
hipcheck wrote:
I guess part of it is the cost of goaltender's gear, along with the urgent to have at least 1 for a team, and 2 for pick-up
In each case I always had a list of goalies in my roster book, and it would be much shorter if I was charging goalies
It's just very rare for this area to hear of it. Goalies can skate for free at so many locations, it's kinda hard to realistically charge them


We choose to play the position and so we choose to pay whatever we do for whatever gear we buy. That doesn't give a goalie the right to refuse to pay to play, seeing as how we're on the ice more than the skaters actually are. Like Hounsy said: nothing wrong with someone who doesn't pay if it's offered, but to refuse to pay is to just be a dick, scarce commodity or not.


Had a better game last game with my own team, won 3-2. Didn't get too many shots, which was nice after getting shelled in the first game playing for another team against a team who scores a ton.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:37 am 
Offline
King of the One-Liner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm
Posts: 5037
Location: Too deep in crease.
Though I don't pay when I am just filling in for a team and no one has ever asked.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:52 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9613
Hounsy wrote:
Though I don't pay when I am just filling in for a team and no one has ever asked.


Yeah I've never been asked when I was a fill-in.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group