OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:32 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
So naturally first Tourney I am in this year starts tonight and I am sick. Tonight at 8:00pm followed by a 9:00am tomorrow game...yuck. Lots Gatorade tonight and Gatorade plus daytime cold and flu tomorrow morning looks like the plan.

Ouch. Not going to participate in the tourney shananagins then tonight? Where is it?

Grimsby. Yeah while I'm not a big "Shananagins" type at these things being a goalie I would go out for one beer normally but tonight it will be right home after the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:38 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Outdoor game on the local rink's new "pond". Supposed to be 5 F, with 8 MPH winds. Old school.

Glad none of the rink guys told anyone ahead of time that Gary Bettman was doing a promotional tour of local outdoor rinks over the last week. He was there taking photos with mites. I doubt I would have done it for fear of legal ramifications, but the temptation to snowball his ass would have been really high...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:50 am 

Finally got to play outdoor game. About 8 F with a light wind. Had a hat trick (2nd ever! :lol: ) and 2 A in a 6-3 comeback win. Felt great! Then fucked something in my back taking bag out of the car upon arriving home. Getting o-l-d. :x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:21 am 
King of the One-Liner

Two things Chris, first I as well have had bag lifting back injuries it was the step before closing the hatch on the car injuries. The other thing is that any time you get a photo op with someone that will give the illusion of average height you got to suck up the anger and take the dam photo and get it on a wall.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:54 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Two things Chris, first I as well have had bag lifting back injuries it was the step before closing the hatch on the car injuries. The other thing is that any time you get a photo op with someone that will give the illusion of average height you got to suck up the anger and take the dam photo and get it on a wall.

Thanks, that's a good point on the photo. I'm pretty sure I'm taller than Bettman.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:34 am 
OTP Historian

2nd time on the ice wearing the new goalie gloves last night. The first time was shinny so I didn't really get the chance to play the puck. This was a game so I tried playing it and it was a disaster. Combination of new gloves and stick, the first couple of times I went and just couldn't get my fucking stick on it :lol: Ended up playing the man against the boards so my teammates could come and dig it out. :? The third time I made a play on it, rang it high off of the glass past one guy but they had a trailer coming, but it was high enough I got back to the net.

Went down 3-0 on a funny rebound on a toe save that kicked back the opposite side of my pad right onto a guy's stick. 2nd one was a play out from the corner that hit a guys head and went over my shoulder. 3rd was a screen shot I was looking out the wrong side and got caught far enough and it went blocker. We came back and won 4-3.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:55 am 

I had a coach who used to say "if we win, all sins are forgiven". I wouldn't say he was a great coach (okay, not even good), but hey, that might make you feel better. Sometimes the goalie bails out a sputtering offense, sometimes the offense pulls off a win for the goalie.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:03 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
I had a coach who used to say "if we win, all sins are forgiven". I wouldn't say he was a great coach (okay, not even good), but hey, that might make you feel better. Sometimes the goalie bails out a sputtering offense, sometimes the offense pulls off a win for the goalie.

I made a few really good saves in the first half including a couple of breakaways so it stayed reasonably close. We were pounding shots at their goalie and he was stopping everything but we didn't have enough traffic in front. One guy scored a nice shot five-hole. Then we had a ton of traffic in front and we scored on a slap shot from the point. The traffic again, puck fed out front and our guy made a move and got around the goalie. Then a nice forehand to backhand deke for the win. I didn't have much work in the 3rd period but they had a couple of really good chances. The didn't get a lot of shots but the ones they had were in close and good chances. Felt good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:15 am 
King of the One-Liner

Goalies need to have a short memory and a clear conscience.

Well that or compete indifference to what other think.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:38 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Goalies need to have a short memory and a clear conscience.

Well that or compete indifference to what other think.

Helps to remember what happened to improve on it.

Then you have no practice time to actually do so.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:46 am 
King of the One-Liner

At my age the easiest way to improve is to forget how good I was.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 am 

I had no idea they kept ice at the Stadium Series arenas for so long. Bunch of friends played at Yankee Stadium just this past Sunday night. Isles had some Skate with the Greats event last night, with old Isles & fan contest winners. Bossy scored the game winner. :mulletbutch: Not sure if any post with "Bossy scored the game winner" belongs in the Beer Hockey forum, but where else would this go? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:52 pm 

Kid's team blew their first 2 tournament games after having 1-0 leads. Lost both 2-1, allowing winning goal with under a minute left. Then they whooped their 3rd opponent 4-1.

Raced home from last game to play my championship game (game 2 of 3 game series. Lost first game in shootout). I arrived late to a 2-1 lead, and added an insurance goal. Or at least, it was insurance. Other team tied us, and won it in OT.

I hate hockey today.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:12 am 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I made a few really good saves in the first half including a couple of breakaways so it stayed reasonably close. We were pounding shots at their goalie and he was stopping everything but we didn't have enough traffic in front. One guy scored a nice shot five-hole. Then we had a ton of traffic in front and we scored on a slap shot from the point. The traffic again, puck fed out front and our guy made a move and got around the goalie. Then a nice forehand to backhand deke for the win. I didn't have much work in the 3rd period but they had a couple of really good chances. The didn't get a lot of shots but the ones they had were in close and good chances. Felt good.

We played against that the above team again and I was in net. We went up 2-0 this time but they came back and won 3-2. 2-on-1 tip between the legs, giveaway from behind our net on a pass up the middle with them having 2 guys sitting in front, then a breakaway deke that I got a piece of with my pad but still managed to go in. We outshot the hell out of them again. Turns out their goalie is this guy.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=71737

He's really fucking good. Just so smooth, 1-leg butterfly style, always in position and always knows where the puck is going. Efficient and spends a lot less time on his knees than most goalies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:38 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

We played against that the above team again and I was in net. We went up 2-0 this time but they came back and won 3-2. 2-on-1 tip between the legs, giveaway from behind our net on a pass up the middle with them having 2 guys sitting in front, then a breakaway deke that I got a piece of with my pad but still managed to go in. We outshot the hell out of them again. Turns out their goalie is this guy.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=71737

He's really fucking good. Just so smooth, 1-leg butterfly style, always in position and always knows where the puck is going. Efficient and spends a lot less time on his knees than most goalies.

No real shame in losing to a guy with his own db page, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:43 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

When we beat them, it was through no fault of his own. This past game, I think there was a sequence where he had like 6 shots in a row, within 10 seconds and none went in. Through the whole thing, he wasn't scrambling or out of position. Pretty awesome to watch from the other end.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:51 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

When we beat them, it was through no fault of his own. This past game, I think there was a sequence where he had like 6 shots in a row, within 10 seconds and none went in. Through the whole thing, he wasn't scrambling or out of position. Pretty awesome to watch from the other end.

Right, so no shame in losing to him.

I assure you, none of the shlubs who beat my team have their own db page. :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:00 pm 

Played in a coaches/alumni game for our organization. Lots of fun, and I earned some "ice cred" with the kids by hustling & pulling off a hat trick. Yippee!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:46 pm 
OTP Historian

Champs after a reschedule due to busted glass. Went down 1-0, then scored 3 in a single shift a few minutes and there was no looking back. 7-2 Final.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:31 am 

Bosc wrote:
Champs after a reschedule due to busted glass. Went down 1-0, then scored 3 in a single shift a few minutes and there was no looking back. 7-2 Final.

Nicely done!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next